Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:59 am

trend

You really do not get the point.Hub transfer traffic was high on Lax/Sfo.
2 daily flights on Cle/Sfo takes care of the cle o/d traffic quite well.

The summer schedule 6/8 has 7:30 6pm to Lax and 7:15 and 6:30 to Sfo along with one Spirit at 5:30pm to Lax. This is far better than any city such as
Pit, Cmh, Cvg and Ind. That is what needs to be compared. Cle is doing just fine and United is doing just fine with service to hubs in Lax and Sfo from Cle.

If you do not like 6 am departures plenty of options all day long including 5 daily west coats the best from a non hub in the midwest
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:43 am
RNE

Originally Posted by trk1
Cle is doing just fine and United is doing just fine with service to hubs in Lax and Sfo from Cle.
Your CLE O/D canard has no bearing on this matter. O/D can be served via connections. It is metaphysically indisputable that things are trending worse for CLE vis-á-vis UA. CLE is anything but "just fine" and it's getting worse.

RNE, it may be theoretical to you, but it's personal to me.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chriskuo
I see 7am and 7 pm flights from CLE to SFO
I see now. It looks like it's for the summer. Currently, there is only one flight a day.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
CLE-LAX was reduced to 1 flight a day for a period in January and February and no morning flight. UA Not adding a third flight for the summer, I think I saw it there at one time. Used to be 4 nonstop during the holidays and summer. Spirit staring service this month on this route.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA US
This week UA added a 5th CLE-BOS (all E145s); so I guess they want to hang on to that route a while longer.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:12 am

If United can fill the planes to SFO, it will make more money than running the pax through ORD or DEN. Given the increasing importance of SF as a tech center and gateway to Asia, plus the relatively high fares on Cleveland non-stops, I expect that United will not reduce service to SFO from the 1 or 2 flights a day.

Have you compared the fares from ORD-SFO to CLE-SFO nonstop?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:58 am
RNE

Originally Posted by chriskuo
I expect that United will not reduce service to SFO from the 1 or 2 flights a day.
Frequency is not what irks me as much as the timing. Crack of dawn flights may be great for business travelers. For me? Not so much.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:02 pm

One more reason that CLE is unlikely to get CLE-CDG on Delta:
  • PIT (<2 hr drive)
  • DTW (~2 hr), and
  • CVG (~4 hr from CLE, <2 hr from CMH)

...all have non-stops to CDG. If you live anywhere in Ohio and want to fly to Europe non-stop, you already have options.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights

I was in CLE for about ninety minutes on Sunday to change planes and things looked bleak. My flight to DCA and at an adjacent gate a departure to EWR was all the UA action I saw. I heard announcements for two non legacy carriers. It was hard to believe that not so long ago this was a very busy place on a Sunday afternoon.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
It would seem even with the closure of D UA still has too many gates. Remember last time hub was closed they moved their operation from C to A with only 3 gates but they only has a dozen flights.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:36 am
RNE

Originally Posted by flyallegheny
One more reason that CLE is unlikely to get CLE-CDG on Delta:
  • PIT (<2 hr drive)
  • DTW (~2 hr), and
  • CVG (~4 hr from CLE, <2 hr from CMH)

...all have non-stops to CDG. If you live anywhere in Ohio and want to fly to Europe non-stop, you already have options.
Bad options.

Originally Posted by Orion
I was in CLE for about ninety minutes on Sunday to change planes and things looked bleak. My flight to DCA and at an adjacent gate a departure to EWR was all the UA action I saw. I heard announcements for two non legacy carriers. It was hard to believe that not so long ago this was a very busy place on a Sunday afternoon.
I too was at the airport Sunday. C looks worse than it is because it's now so much larger than it needs to be. I wonder how A & B look.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:18 am

B was a ghost town around 8 on sunday. B does get busy when DL and WN flights are one after another, but B still has a few completely unused gates (Jet-bridges are still there). B3 I think. Wikipedia says JetBlue is going into C concourse, I guess that makes sense as there are still desks/podiums there, and plenty of space.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Driving two hours and flying PIT-CDG nonstop is not a "bad option" per se. In fact, it sounds a lot more preferable than flying CLE-ORD/EWR-CDG.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:28 pm

CDG

Cle to IAD to CDG is just fine with me
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by trk1

The summer schedule 6/8 has 7:30 6pm to Lax and 7:15 and 6:30 to Sfo along with one Spirit at 5:30pm to Lax.
Not much use if you are visiting from SF or LA and want to do a full day's work, then fly out. You would have to leave the office well before close to get to the airport in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.