Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Concourse D has re-opened!

I had a chuckle this morning when I was checking the status of my upcoming CLE-ORD flight. The United website says I'm leaving from Concourse D. I'll guess I'll have to break through the big "Cleveland" poster they have blocking the entrance to the concourse. I can see the headline in the Plain Dealer now.

What adds to the nonsense is that I'm on a A319, which would have never left from D when it was open. Oh well, another example of United's outstanding website.

I tried to post a screen shot of the status, but can't seem to get it to work here on Flyertalk.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Here you go. Ha, good one.

Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
20 million dollar ticket lobby modernization project is starting now. I think the priorities for the airport are out of line. What are you going to do with D.
Is there a master plan. You need to connect D to the main terminal and add some mainline aircraft jet bridges. The main part of the airport is 65 years old and A and B concourses are close to that although upgraded a few times.
Other airports have spend hundreds of million dollars if not billions upgrading facilities, 20 mill is a drop In the bucket.
Not much thought given where they put the Rental Car Center. Most people want the rental cars right at the airport. Look at the FLL layout, my favorite, directly across the street from the terminals.
Three points:

I do agree that they need to bite the bullet and get D connected to the terminal, somehow shorten the walk. However, that all relies on UA willing to sublease the gates to another airline. If they don't want to budge, it won't happen. I also don't know the sizing of the D concourse for mainline aircraft and if it's even feasible. Certainly the south portion of the gates where the Qs and Beaches used to park isn't really fit for mainline parking, which leaves maybe what 8 gates usable on the north side after you remove one or two for spacing for mainline.

I disagree that FLL is convenient. While it's more convenient than it used to be (all companies off site, separate shuttle), it's not really "across the street" unless you're in the terminal that UA happens to be in. You still have to take a shuttle, which can take forever and is always packed. Truthfully, If it's not literally right outside the arrivals level for everybody, it's not "on-site". There are extreme examples like LAS and PHX whose car rental centers are MILES away from the terminal and take 7-10 minutes. The CLE bus usually takes less than 5 minutes and isn't ever packed (when I've ridden it).

Lastly, I think the cosmetic changes will be nice and will be more inviting for the RNC and future passengers. A little bit of natural light, and warmer colors can do wonders for somebody beginning their journey. As an example, do you feel better departing LGA CTB or DCA B/C gates?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
did anyone go to this?
http://www.clevelandairport.com/burk...mation-session

I'd love to have PD fly YTZ-BKL....
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
CO said that D could accommodate 737s--at least the ones they had in 1999 when the building opened. Not sure if that meant with or without tweaking. If it would require extensive tweaking, then why bother mentioning it.

To be fair to the web site, it's someplace back-end that feeds the flifo to the web site and app. The new web site reports the same information about the CLE-ORD leaving from D tomorrow.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by entropy
did anyone go to this?
http://www.clevelandairport.com/burk...mation-session

I'd love to have PD fly YTZ-BKL....
Hard to find solid info about the 20 year Burke master plan... I did find this useless local NPR story about it:
http://wviz.ideastream.org/news/20-y...efront-airport

Some architectural renderings here:
http://www.vaakins.com/public--burke-lakefront.html

I get the impression BKL isn't going to be turned into Millennium Park anytime soon.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: UA
New to FT and wanted my first post to be in this thread. I miss CO and the hub days but I am happy that CLE still has many flight options on UA. Is CLE considered a "Focus City" for UA or just a destination?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
New to FT and wanted my first post to be in this thread. I miss CO and the hub days but I am happy that CLE still has many flight options on UA. Is CLE considered a "Focus City" for UA or just a destination?
Destination.
Source: https://www.united.com/WEB/en-us/Con...s/default.aspx

Don't get used to having many flight options on UA from CLE. Many of the non-hub routes that were leftover probably won't be around for long.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:38 am
RNE

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Don't get used to having many flight options on UA from CLE. Many of the non-hub routes that were leftover probably won't be around for long.
And some of the hub routes will disappear too, methinks.

RNE, glad to hear another reasonable voice singing my dirge, but I'm surprised it's you, ctownflyer, rounding out the duet.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by RNE
And some of the hub routes will disappear too, methinks.
Here is where we disagree

That being said, if AA, B6, or VX picks up LAX/LGB/SFO then who knows.

Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, glad to hear another reasonable voice singing my dirge, but I'm surprised it's you, ctownflyer, rounding out the duet.
I haven't changed my stance: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/57125
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:18 am
RNE

I love the CLE-XXX non-stops. They make our preferred quick-getaway vacations doable. Was just on CLE-LAX-CLE. In a fortnight we'll be on CLE-SFO-CLE. But it's telling that the CLE-to-hub frequency is down, the departure times suck for leisure travel, and the equipment is ho-hum, though that's nothing new.

However, there's no reason UA needs to fly a paltry 154 pax non-stop to the West Coast once or twice a day. Indeed, such westward traffic (LAX & SFO) can instead connect at ORD or IAH.

RNE, observing that UA flies from CAK to only one of its hubs. Does neighboring CLE really justify non-stops to more than four hubs? EWR, IAD, IAH and ORD are plenty. Even IAD is a stretch.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by RNE
I love the CLE-XXX non-stops. They make our preferred quick-getaway vacations doable. Was just on CLE-LAX-CLE. In a fortnight we'll be on CLE-SFO-CLE. But it's telling that the CLE-to-hub frequency is down, the departure times suck for leisure travel, and the equipment is ho-hum, though that's nothing new.

However, there's no reason UA needs to fly a paltry 154 pax non-stop to the West Coast once or twice a day. Indeed, such westward traffic (LAX & SFO) can instead connect at ORD or IAH.

RNE, observing that UA flies from CAK to only one of its hubs. Does neighboring CLE really justify non-stops to more than four hubs? EWR, IAD, IAH and ORD are plenty. Even IAD is a stretch.
If UA dropped LAX and SFO then AA and/or VX would add them, so UA wouldn't get any of that traffic.

Why is it worth 1 flight a day for AA to fly LAX-CMH/DTW/IAD/PIT? Because there's local demand for the flights, simple as that.

UA has the benefit of local demand for LAX/SFO in addition to connecting points on the west coast and TPAC.

Also PMCO didn't have any flights to CAK. Though CAK grows to 2 UA hubs served later this year in response to the WN pullout.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:46 am
RNE

Because there's local demand for the flights, simple as that.
All demand can be met via connections.

Though CAK grows to 2 UA hubs served later this year in response to the WN pullout.
Huh!? What other hub!? EWR, I hope.

Last edited by goalie; Jun 14, 2015 at 3:10 pm Reason: Use the member's name in all parts of the quote when quoting multiple parts of their post
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by RNE

take a look at CAK schedule starting late September...
they are adding 2 flights a day to EWR!

I made a lot of trips from CAK over the past few years when CLE prices were (hub-captive) high. The trade-off in using CAK was the lack of routing options. SDC was very difficult to secure.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: UA
If LGA perimeter rule were changed, I think LGA-CLE via UAX would be dropped. Now, however, there are at least 6 flights LGA-CLE, for which I'm grateful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.