Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Press Conference called regarding United’s future at CLE [Good night Cleveland...]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Per Cleveland Airport System press release (dead link):

Eliminated CLE service:
April: BTV, BDL, MHT, MSN, YUL, OKC, PHL, PBI, PVD, RDU
May: CLT, MDT (announced Mar 31), SDF, MSP, BNA, PIT (announced Mar 31)
June: ALB (announced Mar 31), ATL, AUS, BWI (announced Mar 31), BFD*, BUF, CMH, DAY, DUJ* (pushed to October because of EAS regulations), ERI, FNT, FKL*, GRR, GSP, MDT, IND, JHW*, MCI, MSY, PKB* (pushed to October because of EAS regulations), PHX, PIT, RIC, ROC, SYR, YYZ
October: DUJ, PKB (due to DOT EAS regulations)
Per Cleveland FOX 8 report (announced on Dec 3):
March 5, 2015: DFW
April 7, 2015: RSW, FLL, TPA

*Essential Air Service Subject to DOT approval

From Cleveland.com article on March 31, 2014:
"United will cease offering regional service from Cleveland to Albany and Baltimore effective June 5, and will end service from Cleveland to Harrisburg and Pittsburgh on April 30 as opposed to June, as originally planned," United spokesman Rahsaan Johnson said.
"Replacement" Routes:
  • FNT-ORD (3x daily), ERI-ORD (2x daily) (Starts June 5)
  • IAD-PKB, IAD-DUJ (3x daily) by 3M (Silver Airways, codeshare with UA, but not UAX) (Starts Oct 1)
mduell (Post #125) lists the following UA destinations not served by any other UA hubs. These airports might have UA service eliminated entirely, unless other flights are scheduled.
Eliminated UA service: DUJ, PKB (now serviced by 3M, Silver Airways, a codeshare partner of UA, not a UAX carrier, Per gusd (Post #898))
Possible eliminated UA service: BFD, FKL, JHW

Per SteveHK screenshot (Post #75):

Nonstop service kept: ALB, BWI (announced Mar 31), ORD, DEN, IAH, LAX, EWR, SFO, IAD, BOS, DCA, DFW, FLL, (announced Dec 3) LAS, LGA, MCO, MKE, RSW, (announced Dec 3) STL, TPA (announced Dec 3)

Seasonal service kept: CUN, CHS, NAS, SJU

Discrepancies:
  • MIA & PWM not mentioned in Cleveland Airport System press release, but mentioned in the screenshot.

New peak day departures: 72 (-64%, from 199)
New peak day nonstop destinations: 20 (-66%, from 58)
New peak day seats: 6,121 (-51%, from 12,384)

New schedule: From @United (twitter) interaction with Surface Interval : We’ll be reducing flights in Cleveland beginning in April, with the new schedule available starting Feb. 8, 2014. And should be complete by Feb. 11, 2014, according to this mass e-mail from UA: "Over the next several days, we will be updating our flight schedules, which could result in changes to the flight times for your trip. If that does happen, we will send you an email with an updated itinerary on or before February 11. You may also review your itinerary any time at united.com."
Print Wikipost

Press Conference called regarding United’s future at CLE [Good night Cleveland...]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The standard ones.

http://fox8.com/2014/02/01/press-con...re-at-hopkins/

Here it comes!

Officials said in the release only that officials will “discuss the future of air service” at the airport.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 1, 2014 at 2:53 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:12 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another story suggesting that UA will de-hub CLE.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local...eland/5106115/
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The timing of a Monday press conference does not bode well for CLE, as we know Wall Street loves 'capacity discipline', layoffs and cost-cutting. A drawdown of the CLE hub would result in all three...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
If they are going to do service cuts, I hope they can do so without laying off the kind employees at CLE. I haven't connected through there in about 2 years (haven't needed to/schedule didn't fit) but I find the UC staff and gate agents to be some of the kindest in the system.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I love CLE as well - but let's be honest, the reasons for its continued existence as a "hub" are not strong... UA has outsourced its operations to AA at many smaller airports in the NE recently - CLE is the next logical step. I'm not saying I agree - but the UA playbook is pretty clear...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
With big hubs at EWR and ORD, and few international flights from CLE, it does seem a logical place to start trimming. UA has too many domestic hubs now that the merger is complete, for a hub-and-spoke operation, and CLE would seem to make the most sense to de-emphasize. I might feel differently than I do if CLE was my base, but it isn't.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
+1 to the thought of UA de Hubbing CLE.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Moved here last year. From STL.

Behold, dartagnan, killer of hubs. (doesn't impact me as I fly AA, still - sucks for Cleveland.)
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Even as a connecting point, flights that connected in CLE were just too expensive. I don't believe I've actually connected in CLE post-merger.

I Just hope they will replace some of the capacity elsewhere.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 1, 2014 at 2:53 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Would prices go down if UA de-hubbed?

Some of my favorite flights have been ex-CLE, e.g. a 757-300 CLE-LAS which had 9 people total in the F cabin and one person who asked why her upgrade hadn't cleared yet, then declined the upgrade when a gate agent processed manually.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS
Are you saying this is a LIE?

Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Letter from Smisek to employees posted on ariliners.net confirming the news.

Originally Posted by Smisek
I want to let you know that we have made the difficult decision to substantially reduce our flying from Cleveland. We will make this reduction in stages beginning in April.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNL
Letter from Smisek to employees posted on ariliners.net confirming the news.
Interesting that virtually all the cuts are going to be regional jets.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Well, $misek's e-mail to employees posted on claims that they are losing 10s of millions on the CLE operation... which seems like nonsense to me.

Most CLE flights are packed, and the pricing is obscene much of the time. CLE has the highest O/D % in the system, and the highest yield.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Feel really bad for the great employees of the CLE hub. Let the rumors of a new airline begin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.