Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Noticed United large advertisement on the lower bottom of the scoreboard at Progressive Field is no longer there and they no longer are advertising on the Indians web site. Continental had that spot for many years then United took over. Pulling the Phoenix nonstop flights (Indians spring training site) probably did not help this situation it was a good route for them. As evidence 3 other airlines picked the route up.
United last year also had advertisement behind the home plate area, maybe they still will do that.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Noticed United large advertisement on the lower bottom of the scoreboard at Progressive Field is no longer there and they no longer are advertising on the Indians web site. Continental had that spot for many years then United took over. Pulling the Phoenix nonstop flights (Indians spring training site) probably did not help this situation it was a good route for them. As evidence 3 other airlines picked the route up.
United last year also had advertisement behind the home plate area, maybe they still will do that.
Perhaps they're no longer the official airline of the Indians?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by RNE
I too was at the airport Sunday. C looks worse than it is because it's now so much larger than it needs to be. I wonder how A & B look.
A always seems busy when I pop over there for the Starbucks. AA / US / Frontier / Spirit.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:15 pm

Smile United is the Airline of the Indians

Cleveland, OH
Progressive Field
Friday, April 10, 2015
4:10PM EST

The boys of summer are back in Cleveland for 2015 and you and three friends will be there to celebrate the Indians home opener Friday, April 10, 2015 at Progressive Field. You’ll enjoy unbeatable views as you cheer on the Indians as they take the field against Detroit. Bid now to see the first home game of 2015.

This package includes:

Four (4) Field Box seats to the Cleveland Indians vs. Detroit game on Friday, April 10, 2015 at 4:10PM EST.
One (1) Parking Pass

United Airlines is proud to be the Official Airline of the Cleveland Indians.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Indians and the Browns ^^...Thank you UA. Still bitter 1K lifer but I appreciate the sponsorship.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wow, NK and de-hubbing have really hurt United pricing power here.

I see a $128 base fare UA round trip posted BOS-CLE (NAU21THN). That used to be a $600+ journey.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by mherdeg

I see a $128 base fare UA round trip posted BOS-CLE (NAU21THN). That used to be a $600+ journey.
Yea really sucks for UA… now they have to be competitive in the CLE market. No more ridiculously high hub-captive pricing.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:09 pm

Don't see them keeping these non hub routes very long, unless they have contracts that make it worthwhile. Milwaukee (GE medical?)???? STL could be a good WN pickup.

The NK and UA redeye from LAX are about 20 min apart. and the early evening outbound only ~40 minutes difference. Very interesting.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by mherdeg

That's due to B6, not NK.
UA isn't matching NK fares.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Free Congac

For the week of April 19-25 at CLE UClub -- free Remy Martin

For the following week -- free Pimms

Also, new food option roll-out now slated for August.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by moops380
Don't see them keeping these non hub routes very long, unless they have contracts that make it worthwhile. Milwaukee (GE medical?)???? STL could be a good WN pickup.
Sure hope they keep LAS. That LAS-CLE flight and v.v. has saved me many times over the years. In fact, I just took a bump this weekend from LAS-EWR in favour of LAS-CLE-EWR, actually getting home 30 minutes earlier.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
I see that JetBlue has set up shop at gate C4. There's a sign advertising FLL service starting April 30.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:51 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by paule123
I see that JetBlue has set up shop at gate C4. There's a sign advertising FLL service starting April 30.
This!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
C4 was always a NW gate since the concourse opened in 1969. It was originally south concourse gate 41 and then changed when concourse was renamed C . I remember seeing many NW DC-10's at this. This gate has not been utilized since Delta moved it operations to the B concourse. The past few years the gate had seats for overflow for CO/UA gate C3.
Have not seen B6 ticket counter the last time I was at the airport, I guess it will lease part of UA space where there is plenty of room.

UA promised it would keep these routes. Yes STL would be better served for WN because of connection opportunities and WN did serve STL from CLE when they started service 20 years ago. The main issue with cutting more flights is job loss. These are long term employees more then 25 years. Some employees recently lost jobs with the Florida routes cut.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 23, 2015 at 9:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:40 am

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Yupp... B6 is taking over C4, the old NW gate... United's counter space is tentatively to be reduced as well, and they will start to operate from just the high end C gates (the banjo, rotunda, what ever you may call it.) These are from my sources back in CLE... It was odd flying back to and out again when I took my vacation from DEN... I went through C security in maybe less than 5 minutes in CLE at 8am when normally it would take me 20 or more... My friends and coworkers back there filled me in on a few scoops but not sure how much is speculation and how much is true... The loss of flights still hurts many still there... And with a large contigent of the CSR's that moved to DEN with, we still feel the pain... but i still enjoy grabbing a 12 pack of Great Lakes Beer everytime i fly through and take back to my new home in DEN... i hope that doesn't stop anytime soon wlse i would have to start checking it and worrying if i packed it correctly... lol... To my fellow FT guys in CLE, i hope to be back again next month and trying to plan more trips back to the true home... One day i hope to bring back my experience and friendliness to CLE... Even if it means i would have to jump airlines but that would only be if i get a supervisor or manager job to compensate...

With regards,
Cle2Den

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.