Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
CLE - Life After De-Hubbing [2015 forward]

On the plus side, outlets were added at the bar in the UC! Small victories...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
+ a Chick- Filet !!!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by entropy
For me personally, the de-hub is a big loss, its a bigger pain in the butt to do YYZ-CLE, but then again, the drive isn't so bad when the weather is ok.
AC has 3 flights a day CLE-YYZ (on a Q100)

I just booked a R/T for the bargain price of $550

It's CLE-YUL that's a PITA now. It was nice having the non stop.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:28 am

cle-yul flights were always full when I flew it, would be nice if AC got more into the CLE picture.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
AC has 3 flights a day CLE-YYZ (on a Q100)
UP to 5, depending on the day..

and yes, YUL would be nice.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:41 am
RNE

As this intrepid interplanetary writer reported elsewhere, our upcoming nonstop in June from CLE-LAX (for you readers on Mars, those cities are on Earth) departed at a convenient 2:00 p.m., before UA pulled it from the schedule. Now the only nonstop that will work is an ungodly inconvenient 7:30 a.m. departure. Yes, there are plenty of connecting options, but connections are even less convenient to us.

That was June; let's look at July. UA just pulled our upcoming 9:00 a.m. nonstop CLE-SFO (also on planet Earth). The morning nonstop is now an ungodly inconvenient 7:00 a.m. departure.

Analysis: I realize it's nice for some travelers to get to the West Coast at mid-morning to attend meetings or make connections, but in years past there were also always convenient mid-morning-departing nonstops that arrived late-morning, perfect for beginning vacations not tired from awaking at 4:00 a.m., and for driving to surrounding destinations and arriving at hotel check-in times, or cruise check-in times, etc. From CLE, the morning departures were not solely ungodly early! Thus it's not simply that UA has cut service to CLE, the service still remaining is deteriorating. It's on its way to becoming a Podunk outstation with nothing but crack-of-dawn and late-evening departures (to CA). How long before LAX and SFO won't connect here at all?

RNE, concluding that CLE vis-á-vis UA sucks "badder" than ever!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Welcome to life at a non-hub.

Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RNE
Now the only nonstop that will work is an ungodly inconvenient 7:30 a.m. departure. Yes, there are plenty of connecting options, but connections are even less convenient to us.

That was June; let's look at July. UA just pulled our upcoming 9:00 a.m. nonstop CLE-SFO (also on planet Earth). The morning nonstop is now an ungodly inconvenient 7:00 a.m. departure.

As I just remarked in another thread -- this is all about UA changing the timing to support maximum business travel. Early? Yes. But nothing like the 5am ORD or 5:30 IAH. As you so rightly noted, this is all about getting to LAX in time for morning meetings.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:12 pm

Schedules

New flight schedule is just fine. The old 9:00am departures were to wait for the connection bank that came in at 8am. As a Cle 1K i like the new schedules give more time upon arrival. The evening departures allow for a full day of work and then a Cle departure.Good job UA !!!!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:40 pm
RNE

Wait. What? This is good for CLE? Odd that our usual CLE cheerleaders aren't rah-rah'ing about this. I wonder how long it will be before CLE-flyers have to connect somewhere to get to the West Coast. That'll make for 5:00 a.m. departures!

RNE, asking, Is CLE the next CAK?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by entropy
I really don't expect CLE to get any schedule int'l service (aside from Toronto/Montreal).

The F9/NK stuff isn't really "high quality" traffic but I do think that CLE has an opportunity to prove itself with B6 and hopefully VX. I fully expect United to bow out of BOS, while Virgin can provide a viable competitor to SFO/LAX.
I don't see VX going into CLE anytime soon. It's just not a "sexy" enough city.

Originally Posted by RNE
As this intrepid interplanetary writer reported elsewhere, our upcoming nonstop in June from CLE-LAX (for you readers on Mars, those cities are on Earth) departed at a convenient 2:00 p.m., before UA pulled it from the schedule. Now the only nonstop that will work is an ungodly inconvenient 7:30 a.m. departure. Yes, there are plenty of connecting options, but connections are even less convenient to us.

Analysis: I realize it's nice for some travelers to get to the West Coast at mid-morning to attend meetings or make connections, but in years past there were also always convenient mid-morning-departing nonstops that arrived late-morning, perfect for beginning vacations not tired from awaking at 4:00 a.m., and for driving to surrounding destinations and arriving at hotel check-in times, or cruise check-in times, etc. From CLE, the morning departures were not solely ungodly early! Thus it's not simply that UA has cut service to CLE, the service still remaining is deteriorating. It's on its way to becoming a Podunk outstation with nothing but crack-of-dawn and late-evening departures (to CA). How long before LAX and SFO won't connect here at all?

I find a 7 or 9 AM flight to the west coast useless. If I'm there on business, I want an evening departure to get a full day of work in and then go home.

I miss the days of CO. CLE was a convenient connecting point. But, those days are gone.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:43 pm

Cle

Well they have non stop 6pm departures from Cle to Lax and Sfo everyday at 6pm
so what is your point?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by trk1
Well they have non stop 6pm departures from Cle to Lax and Sfo everyday at 6pm
so what is your point?
Except they don't. The only nonstop to SFO is in the AM.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:41 pm

I see 7am and 7 pm flights from CLE to SFO
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:30 am
RNE

Two or one daily to SFO is not the point. It's the thinning trend that matters.

There are fewer and fewer nonstops to CA and zero reason United would have to keep any at all! Flights departing from CLE at 5:00 a.m./p.m. to ORD, IAH, and DEN can get travelers to the West Coast at about the same time as the nonstops do now. Plan on setting your alarm clocks way early, my fellow NEO'ers.

RNE, opening eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.