Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
It's not a great one but here's a photo from the airport's website:

You can see the "service"/"gate" podiums for a couple gates in the foreground and one of the rounded boarding podiums (very typical of what you see in IAH or EWR as well and starting to look dated) in the shadow of the first background column.

There's also this one from Airways news showing the weird corner that C17/19 occupy

http://airwaysnews.com/galleries/img8741_32430.jpg

Again, the boarding podium is kind of lurking in the shadows (incidentally, in 11 years of flying UA/CO from CLE I think C17/19 are the only C gates I've never used.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that those podiums do look really dated. In that picture from airwaysnews, Are these gates just for regional jets because i'm not seeing a whole lot of seating? It also looks like C18 has a staircase or something since I am seeing railings. It's been a long day for me, so I might be wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oscar555
Thanks for the reply. I agree that those podiums do look really dated. In that picture from airwaysnews, Are these gates just for regional jets because i'm not seeing a whole lot of seating? It also looks like C18 has a staircase or something since I am seeing railings. It's been a long day for me, so I might be wrong.
When UA was in the process of pulling down the hub and after closing D they were running the turboprops from these gates (at least C18)...I think there were times they had several flights concurrently posted for C18 kind of like they would do with the "finger/"walk and climb" gates on the D concourse. They are jetway-equipped gates, though, so aside from seating (and possibly parking positioning/spacing) there's no technical reason they couldn't run anything from these gates

I've honestly never noticed that railing near C18, but near C17 (out of frame on the right side in that photo) there's a similar railing with short gate at the top of a stairway down. I've always assumed it's an emergency exit (ala the similar stairways at ORD), but could conceivably be used for boarding or shuttle departures (again ala ORD) if there was some reason to.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:07 pm

Here are some pics from Concourse C today (sorry, but I don't know how to add captions). The old customer service desk and the new one at C17, the new gate podium at C29, and the old setup at the door of C23, the old markings at abandoned C5 (never noticed before that they had marked it for 767-300, 787-9, 777-200, 747-400 and 767-400), and C6 with the slapdash jetBlue banner on it.
Attached Images        
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
I know it's more conveniently located to the UA gates in the banjo, but the "new" Service Center looks rather disappointing, especially compared to how nice gate 29 looks now.

Taking this is a sign of continued investment in CLE, and hoping they'll be improving all the other gates and the Service Center soon.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by guy44134
Here are some pics from Concourse C today (sorry, but I don't know how to add captions). The old customer service desk and the new one at C17, the new gate podium at C29, and the old setup at the door of C23, the old markings at abandoned C5 (never noticed before that they had marked it for 767-300, 787-9, 777-200, 747-400 and 767-400), and C6 with the slapdash jetBlue banner on it.
Wow. It looks like JetBlue didn't even try to spruce up C6. It seems that they are only using that one now because I haven't seen C4 being used in a while. The banner on the wall is kind of lame, but I like their attempt to cover up the UA desk signage by slapping a tiny JetBlue logo over it lol.

Anyways, thanks for the pictures. Did UA ever have a 767, 787, or 777 do regular service at CLE?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Did UA ever have a 767, 787, or 777 do regular service at CLE?
Nothing of the sort from any commercial airline this century at CLE.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Ok. So why did they do the marks for them? Maybe they planned to eventually have that type of a.c. come in when the hub was still in operation?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:10 pm

Anyways, thanks for the pictures. Did UA ever have a 767, 787, or 777 do regular service at CLE?
CLE did have diversions over the course of its years a hub for CO/UA, but neither airline has had regular widebody service since the days of UA's DC-10's to ORD and CO's A300's to DEN, many years ago!

Also, there were a number of brand new podiums still in shipping packaging stuck in a corner of C19. I assume these will be installed at UA's remaining gates. UA also has full signage up at C10 & C14, and they continue to use them at peak times.

I've heard C8 will become a common-use gate, with AA having priority use once they move over to C.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:13 pm

CLE did have diversions over the course of its years a hub for CO/UA, but neither airline has had regular widebody service since the days of UA's DC-10's to ORD and CO's A300's to DEN, many years ago!

Also, there were a number of brand new podiums still in shipping packaging stuck in a corner of C19. I assume these will be installed at UA's remaining gates. UA also has full signage up at C10 & C14, and they continue to use them at peak times.

I've heard C8 will become a common-use gate, with AA having priority use once they move over to C.
That makes sense. What do you mean by full signage up at C10 & C14? I know those are both UA gates so they shouldn't of changed at all.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:16 pm

That makes sense. What do you mean by full signage up at C10 & C14? I know those are both UA gates so they shouldn't of changed at all.
Initial news reports said that UA was retreating to C16-C29. But it looks like they are keeping the 2 lower-numbered gates (for now).
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
They have some occasionally that are diverted because of weather at EWR, ORD, etc. I was actually on a scheduled one-off 763 from IAH a few years ago. When UA took delivery of their first 787 they planned to fly it to all of the hubs to show it off, but when the 787's got grounded, UA switched it to a 763 for the flight and the 787 never made it to CLE.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:31 pm

Initial news reports said that UA was retreating to C16-C29. But it looks like they are keeping the 2 lower-numbered gates (for now).
Oh, ok. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by rolltribe
They have some occasionally that are diverted because of weather at EWR, ORD, etc. I was actually on a scheduled one-off 763 from IAH a few years ago. When UA took delivery of their first 787 they planned to fly it to all of the hubs to show it off, but when the 787's got grounded, UA switched it to a 763 for the flight and the 787 never made it to CLE.
Here's a pic of 2 767-400's that diverted to CLE after a snowstorm in EWR. There was also a 777 diversion that day.

http://www.opshots.net/gallery2/inde...photos&id=2595
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Wow. It looks like JetBlue didn't even try to spruce up C6. It seems that they are only using that one now because I haven't seen C4 being used in a while. The banner on the wall is kind of lame, but I like their attempt to cover up the UA desk signage by slapping a tiny JetBlue logo over it lol.

The closest CO/UA came this century was CO CLE-LGW and CLE-CDG with a 757. Not aware of anything bigger since the 1970's/80's when UA/AA did have some 747/767 action at CLE. Don't remember much about this as I was just starting to travel. I do recall seeing a 747 for the first time ever at CLE taking off and was in total awe.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
The closest CO/UA came this century was CO CLE-LGW and CLE-CDG with a 757
CLE-LHR in 2009 as well

CLE-LGW was '99-08, CLE-CDG was '08 only, and CLE-LHR was '09 only. That's the extent of TATL service from CLE this century and all of it was on 757s. There was never any CLE-LON service before '99 or after '09.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.