Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by 737MAX
While tbe B concourse in general is nothing to look at SWA has remodeled not only B7 but also the rest of the gate area. New much brighter lights, digital flight screens, new carpet and repainted.
That's new. I'm flying Southwest on Saturday so I'm excited to see the changes! Still, its the bones of the airport, the parts the airlines can't fix, that are the biggest problems.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
RNC NS Flights to PHL July 22 just $70 Y OW, $169 FC.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
Wow... those are incredible prices! Those will have to fill up soon, I imagine. This will be the only time AA has real competition on that route. I flew PHL to CLE over the weekend, the flight was maybe 55% full for the first flight of the morning. It doesn't seem to be an overly popular route (connecting in PHL from CLE costs way more than connecting in CLT or any other American hub)... kind of how UA made sure connecting in CLE cost more than connecting in ORD.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
Ferries people directly from RNC to DNC. There isn't even a reverse nonstop.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: UA
UA Connecting Flights

I'm curious to know who connects through CLE on UA anymore? I would imagine LGA might connect through CLE for MKE or MCO but any other ideas? Are most of UA's flights O/D traffic for CLE and no longer connections?
Old May 25, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
I'm curious to know who connects through CLE on UA anymore? I would imagine LGA might connect through CLE for MKE or MCO but any other ideas? Are most of UA's flights O/D traffic for CLE and no longer connections?
I can only go by the bags that i've seen in the bag room but i've seen a hodge podge of destinations that people are connecting on. I've seen LGA, DCA, ORD, IAH, YYZ, MCO, LAX and SFO.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 737MAX
I can only go by the bags that i've seen in the bag room but i've seen a hodge podge of destinations that people are connecting on. I've seen LGA, DCA, ORD, IAH, YYZ, MCO, LAX and SFO.
And to further that, I don't know about the new website and backend logic but the old website would frequently offer "interesting" connection options when the pricing was close to that of a nonstop, particularly on CLE-{hub} flights, eg. CLE-MCO-IAH, CLE-STL-IAH, CLE-BUF-ORD -- now that CLE isn't marketed as a hub, it would make sense to see Midwest destinations where UA offers CLE nonstops to put CLE in the middle.

(and if you see my tired, sorry, forest green bag pass through the bag room today, please treat it kindly... I'm afraid it may be time to put it down)

Lincoln -- currently in EWR, waiting for a flight home...
Old May 25, 2016, 1:46 pm

Hope you had a good flight back!

I've got a Saturday morning flight. Very interested to see how security is right now, plus I read today that some construction walls are being torn down. Can't wait to see the expensive new facade in all its underwhelming glory!
Old May 25, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by VetteElite
Hope you had a good flight back!

I've got a Saturday morning flight. Very interested to see how security is right now, plus I read today that some construction walls are being torn down. Can't wait to see the expensive new facade in all its underwhelming glory!
Thanks! Made it home uneventfully (and my bag was one of the first down the belt )

I really didn't notice anything majorly different on the trek from C-whatever past B and through baggage claim, though it looks like most of the temporary partitions on the baggage claim level have come down and been replaced with caution tape.

I don't know if it's because of the time of day or time of year, but coming home there were more people in the terminal and especially at baggage claim than I've seen in a very long time...

ParkPlace drivers are saying no word on when they'll be able to move from the Limo Lot to the back to the terminal road way but they're expecting to hear something by the end of the month which is coming up on us quickly.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
I think it's safe to say that the remaining CLE non-hub flights are targeted at O&D travelers. There may be a few people connecting, but I would imagine a significant majority are flying them as a non-stop O&D route. The same can be said for the remaining flights from the DL CVG "hub".
Old May 26, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AA US
I had a SFO-DCA trip cancelled and was offered SFO-CLE-DCA. I bet DCA still gets a good number pax via CLE.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: UA1K
i still try to route via CLE...love that airport. so easy to transit through.
Old May 31, 2016, 3:44 am

Construction walls are down at the UA end of the main terminal, but they still have a waist-high barrier keeping people confined to essentially the area that remained open during construction.

Looks a bit nicer/cleaner/more modern but generally underwhelmed me.

This morning at ~5:00-5:15 am it was a zoo. The line for non-PreCheck/Premier Access stretched past where the B checkpoint would be if it were open. Had to cross through to get to the Premier Access checkin lane (line ~4-5 people deep), then cross through again to get to the TSA Pre/Premier Access Line (which was nearly but not completely to the end of the stanchions but moved quite quickly. TSA had three agents on TSA Pre document checking and 3 (or maybe it was 4) XRay/Magnetometer lanes for TSA Pre, something I haven't seen in CLE for quite a while.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:41 pm

Just landed on this nice rainy evening. Airport is so dead at 10pm, very strange to walk around in.

I asked the Park'n'fly driver when they will return to the normal staging area and he said he doesn't think they will; apparently the road they used to use is being torn up. We'll see, it would be a very "CLE-y" thing to do to inconvenience people who park off site (I'm only 21 and even I'm starting to get a grasp at how this city works!)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Frontier SFO flight

My wife and I decided to give the new Frontier nonstop service to SFO a try for an anniversary trip. The flight out there was uneventful... newer plane, almost every seat filled. The service was good and I was very encouraged by the flight, as it departed on schedule.

The way back was another story... redeye flight originally departing from SFO at 10:00 PM. The flight was delayed to a departure time of 2:09 AM! Foolishly, we had made an appointment for the morning that had to be kept, so last minute tickets on UA were purchased. The only blemish on an otherwise excellent trip. Oh well... at least the last minute tickets got me lots of miles I otherwise wouldn't have earned. C'est la vie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.