Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
UA had 767 to ORD on occasion in the 1970's and early 1980's. Never had a 787. Was suppose to do a 1 day run but it got cancelled after the grounding issues. I think the London flight did a occasional 777 sub a few times. UA ran a 747 to Miami during the 1970.s fuel shortage for a brief time. Came from JFK, used to go over my house.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
UA had 767 to ORD on occasion in the 1970's and early 1980's. Never had a 787. Was suppose to do a 1 day run but it got cancelled after the grounding issues. I think the London flight did a occasional 777 sub a few times. UA ran a 747 to Miami during the 1970.s fuel shortage for a brief time. Came from JFK, used to go over my house.
Some regular passenger widebody operations at CLE included:
    Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
    AA ran a DC-10 for a time in the 1970;s BOS-CLE-LAX I think the flight numbers were 37 and 38. NW ran DC-10'S at CLE, I think to ORD and even DTW. Maybe MSP. I wish I would have saved my schedules and OAG's.
    Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
    AA ran a DC-10 for a time in the 1970;s BOS-CLE-LAX I think the flight numbers were 37 and 38. NW ran DC-10'S at CLE, I think to ORD and even DTW. Maybe MSP. I wish I would have saved my schedules and OAG's.
    Good catch on the NW DC-10's to ORD. I don't think they regularly flew to DTW or MSP. Any others we've missed?
    Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:41 am
    Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
    NW CLE BOS DC10 service.
    Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:31 am
    Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by plinth857
    A little write-up on Columbus, OH's effort to attract additional international traffic.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...-to-asia.html#

As the article states, nothing is imminent. However, I believe that Columbus may actually get a TATL or TPAC service before Cleveland, even though Cleveland really does have a larger catchment area. Reason being, they have a regional airport authority and a vision for the airport system. Northeast Ohio would benefit from having a regional authority, I believe, if the civic leaders in Akron, Cleveland, and Youngstown could compromise and allow air traffic to evolve as a region rather than in piecemeal scraps.
    I don't see how a "regional authority" would make any difference. The Columbus regional authority runs CMH and another airport with a few Allegiant flights. How would that help them attract service?

CLE has a larger market and a history of long-haul service. This article about CMH getting flights to places like India is, quite frankly, a total joke. Japan - maybe - but even that's a long shot. I think some employee is trying to justify his job and the opportunity to travel abroad on the pretext of recruiting airlines.
    Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
    Anyone have any idea on how much longer the outdoor construction is scheduled for (and when parking shuttles will be available to drop-off/pick-up at ticketing/baggage claim again)?
    Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
    Originally Posted by Wooglin
    Anyone have any idea on how much longer the outdoor construction is scheduled for (and when parking shuttles will be available to drop-off/pick-up at ticketing/baggage claim again)?
    I think the original schedule was mid-to-late May. One of the Park Place shuttle drivers told me "only one more moth of this" at the beginning of April, but I've been around too much construction to hold my breath.

OTOH, it does seem like they've been making decent progress (and had mostly favorable weather)
    Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
    They seem to be making good progress on the new gate desks.

C29 thru 25 now already replaced, and C24 looks like it's started too (new desks in shrink wrap waiting to be installed).

Good to see this investment in CLE!
    Old Apr 24, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
    New gates

As a poster above mentioned, it's apparent this AM that C24 and C14 are now being upgraded. Looks great so far!
    Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Milage Plus
    Originally Posted by kit125
    As a poster above mentioned, it's apparent this AM that C24 and C14 are now being upgraded. Looks great so far!
    That's good to hear. I'm glad that UA is actually doing something useful in CLE.
    Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:48 pm

C4?

Does anybody know what's going on with C4. I know it's Jetblue's gate, but I haven't seen it being used in weeks.
    Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
    Originally Posted by oscar555
    Does anybody know what's going on with C4. I know it's Jetblue's gate, but I haven't seen it being used in weeks.
    It was being used (or at least staffed) when I came home on Thursday afternoon. I didn't notice this morning when I left because in uncafinated morning mode I kind of have blinders on [the first thing I noticed was the shrinkwrapped podium-on-a-pallet at C9-C11ish]

To UA it seems like they still have possession (or beneficial use) of the other low C gates despite nearly completely debranding them and stripping them of all electronic equipment -- several times over the past couple of months when I've come in on a aircraft that is going to RON (presumably being towed over for maintenance) it's been at one of the odd Low C gates.
    Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by oscar555
    I was told that they're moving to C6 and might use another gate, as needed. C6 will be remodeled like C4.
    Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by guy44134
    I was told that they're moving to C6 and might use another gate, as needed. C6 will be remodeled like C4.
    That seems really odd to me. I wonder what would be the purpose to move just 1 gate over. They can already fit their E-190 and A320 aircraft at C4 and it would be the same thing at C6. I'll ask around and will update this soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.