Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oscar555
If you don't mind me asking, what is a "PC"?
President's club, maybe?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I think proximity (in addition to the pilot shortage) really didn't help our case -- with pmCO's hub in EWR, pmUA's hubs in ORD and IAD this section of the country was over hubified and of the four cities -- as much as I love Cleveland -- we didn't really stand a chance long term. (Well, the other option I saw was to close IAD as a hub and realistically the chances of that happening were only slightly better than ORD or EWR getting shuttered, i.e. infinitesimally small)

I just hope we can hold on to what we have and add strategic mainline.

I really do miss the CO glory days/attitudes/dependability... Though that seems to be slowly coming back.
With the size of our O/D traffic (almost up to the level it was during the last year of the hublet), I'm certain we will at the very least hold on to what we do have. United has dramatically increased its capacity to Chicago (more mainline aircraft), Delta upgauged one of their daily flights to mainline service, and Charlotte appears to have more mainline service than it has in the past as well. If the business community justifies more routes, they may eventually be added. All those business intelligence and database administrators at the airline HQ's are continually analyzing the data on where itineraries begin and end, and likely profitable routes get added as underperforming ones get cut.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:06 pm

I remember reading somewhere that good 'old Ricky was telling a news outlet (maybe PD??) that an airline would be soon adding flight(s) to MCI. I guess either that fell through or they wanted to delay it. Then again, the airport is run by morons. The key to attracting new service is to make an enticing offer to a new airline. The folks at CLE don't seem to see that because they have outrageous takeoff/landing fees.
I remember that too. I wonder which airline it was? Probably WN... I don't see any of the other airlines flying there... if it had been a good route for UA before, $misek would probably have kept it like he did some of those other routes. Although, thinking about it, UA kept DFW for a little while, but that route had competition. They would have been the only carrier flying there... they could have charged those prices they used to charge for Boston pre-JetBlue!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
There's no way that CO would have signed a 30 year lease for an interim facility. They had long-term plans for CLE, they just never panned out. There were always rumors of a PC opening in D, also never came to fruition though.

9/11 scuttled a lot and then once things started to recover they announced big increases for CLE in 2007/2008...just before the great recession hit.

The shame is that with EWR and ORD being overcrowded and delayed, CLE served as one of the most reliable hubs in the system. But the pilot shortage really did CLE in.

There's no vision whatsoever at CLE now.
I've heard rumors of AA or WN adding flights to MCI, so I'm just hoping that comes true this year. Don't expect much else, let alone get service to Europe again.
Agreed that CO built D for the long haul. It is by far the widest, most modern, and airy terminal at CLE. It was also designed to be converted to be used mainline jets (737-size).

Here's the press release re: the massive expansion, including CLE-CDG (I had the pleasure of flying on the inaugural flight in 2008).

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-58040357.html

And here's an article about the curtailment of CO's expansion. Too bad the recession hit.

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2...tailed_wi.html

I don't dispute that, sadly, CLE is generally poorly run, but CLE has made a remarkable comeback in the wake of UA's pulldown of the hub.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I wouldn't say it's remarkable, though it is better than some other dehubbed airports have fared. Most of the new service is to existing markets, though F9 is stepping it up with PDX and SEA.

A more robust recovery will be if CLE gets service back to cities like AUS, MCI, SAN, PBI, YUL, etc. Service to EU, now that would be remarkable.

I can see AA making a play when they move over to concourse C for a larger presence in CLE. Nonstops to LAX and MCI wouldn't shock me.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:53 am

CLE has the potential for increased mainline service on medium and long-range routes to major cities. As United increase service to Asia from SFO and LAX, they should be able to generate more traffic to those routes.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:02 pm

Regional authority

A little write-up on Columbus, OH's effort to attract additional international traffic.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...-to-asia.html#

As the article states, nothing is imminent. However, I believe that Columbus may actually get a TATL or TPAC service before Cleveland, even though Cleveland really does have a larger catchment area. Reason being, they have a regional airport authority and a vision for the airport system. Northeast Ohio would benefit from having a regional authority, I believe, if the civic leaders in Akron, Cleveland, and Youngstown could compromise and allow air traffic to evolve as a region rather than in piecemeal scraps.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
1 day left!

Reminder to all that Frontier launches it's new routes to LAX and PDX on 4/14 and to SFO and PHL on 4/15. Is anybody going to be out snapping some pics of any of the action?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:55 pm

Reminder to all that Frontier launches it's new routes to LAX and PDX on 4/14 and to SFO and PHL on 4/15. Is anybody going to be out snapping some pics of any of the action?
I will be on a different flight on 15 APR. I can take some pictures of any Frontier route launch festivities. Works out well, as my flight will be from the old US Airways gates near Frontier's gates.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:21 pm

With UA dropping LAS WN is running 2x daily LAS from June 6th until August 6th.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
I will be on a different flight on 15 APR. I can take some pictures of any Frontier route launch festivities. Works out well, as my flight will be from the old US Airways gates near Frontier's gates.
Great, thanks a lot!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

As this is the UA forum, general discussion of F9's operations would be best handled in the F9 forum or for the CLE angle in the Midwest Forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by chriskuo
CLE has the potential for increased mainline service on medium and long-range routes to major cities.
I'd like to see them put more mainline back to EWR first....
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Topic Check

As this is the UA forum, general discussion of F9's operations would be best handled in the F9 forum or for the CLE angle in the Midwest Forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Thanks for the reminder. I completely forgot all about that.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA
One good thing about dehubbing is that there are no more Chase credit card people trying to get new customers. I'm in IAH and the Chase people are relentless! Otherwise I miss the hub. Maybe UA could make CLE a focus city?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.