Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The direct Paris fight is more attractive then these Iceland Flights. Not mutch better then changing planes in EWR. London also would be nice. I was on the CO first flight 6/30/99 which is more then 18 years ago.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:44 am
RNE

Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Adding a DL/AA/BA flight would surely cannibalize the flights that CLE has just gotten.
A nonstop flight to Mainland Europe would be nice. But BA isn't going to do that. And DL/AA wouldn't be nonstop.

RNE, opining that FI is king, for now.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
For practical purposes, how much of a savings is IcelandAir over other airlines when going to Europe? I know that's a general question but I'm curious as to what the experience has been.

Air fair is the only advantage I see unless you really want to visit Iceland. To me, it seems changing planes at KEF is the same thing as changing planes at ORD, YYZ, JFK, IAD, BOS. Am I missing something?
It is a very direct routing to Europe (unlike ORD or ATL), KEF is a tiny airport by comparison and avoids the hassle of connecting in a large hub. My last few experiences connecting in EWR (frequent delays), IAD (occasional delays, less than stellar facilities), and YYZ (delayed the last 5 flights home, including one cancellation requiring me to rent a car and drive the final leg home instead of waiting 24+ hours for the chance to be late again, and abysmal 3rd world trans-border terminal-F gates-significantly worse than any other airport i have seen, including LGA, plus poor customer service by AC airport staff, and soaked bags twice-don't they have a place to store them indoors?) have convinced me to give KEF a try. Maybe DTW or BOS could work, too.

I would also much rather clear customs at CLE (despite the sub-standard FIS here, it certainly is functional for a 757 or A321), especially with Global Entry, and be home and in bed within an hour of arrival in the US. I'm looking forward to the option of Icelandair (and maybe WOW for a quick, cheap jaunt to Europe)
RNE likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA US
For practical purposes, how much of a savings is IcelandAir over other airlines when going to Europe? I know that's a general question but I'm curious as to what the experience has been.
WOW offers the Spirit-style bargains; Icelandair's appeal to me is Saga Class, which I think of as an equivalent to the Euro-version of premium economy (food, drinks, and a bigger seat in both width and pitch). Saga seems to be slightly cheaper than PE (about 10%) and *much* cheaper (up to 2/3s less) than business class, while costing only slightly more than Y on traditional carriers. You also get Saga on both legs of the trip, whereas PE is often available on only one leg.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:55 am
RNE

For practical purposes, how much of a savings is IcelandAir over other airlines when going to Europe?
I am a booked customer on a mid-May FI trip from CLE to AMS (economy class). Here's what some other airlines want versus what I paid.

CLE-XXX-AMS (RT)
AA $1306.36
DL $1307.36
UA $1307.36
FI $814.32

I'd say that's substantial savings.

FI's price includes the baggage fee and free selection of seats at booking, but food is extra. Baggage is extra on the other airlines (although it's waived for elites and certain CC holders) but food is free. So, there are some fee differences, but not too consequential.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RNE
I am a booked customer on a mid-May FI trip from CLE to AMS (economy class). Here's what some other airlines want versus what I paid.

CLE-XXX-AMS (RT)
AA $1306.36
DL $1307.36
UA $1307.36
FI $814.32

I'd say that's substantial savings.

FI's price includes the baggage fee and free selection of seats at booking, but food is extra. Baggage is extra on the other airlines (although it's waived for elites and certain CC holders) but food is free. So, there are some fee differences, but not too consequential.
Yes, definitely a difference. Status may be a factor, too, as some UA flyers in Cleveland can automatically get E+ which really has no comparison on FI (unless you consider a 33" seat pitch "comfort"). I don't think the baggage comments are correct, though. I know UA allows one free checked bag on transatlantic flights and probably the others do, too.

BTW, for comparison I just priced out a hypothetical CLE-AMS for next May in Saga Class and it came out a little over $2300.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:28 pm
RNE

Yes, definitely a difference. Status may be a factor, too, as some UA flyers in Cleveland can automatically get E+ which really has no comparison on FI (unless you consider a 33" seat pitch "comfort"). I don't think the baggage comments are correct, though. I know UA allows one free checked bag on transatlantic flights and probably the others do, too.

BTW, for comparison I just priced out a hypothetical CLE-AMS for next May in Saga Class and it came out a little over $2300.
You're right about the baggage fees; good catch.

Anyway, my example was strictly coach class to Amsterdam. Factoring in status, variations between airlines' metal, seat pitch, meal quality, service levels in better classes, etc., are valid but complicate any 4-airline comparison. For simply getting a tourist from CLE to EU in an admittedly E- seat, FI packs a wallop pricewise.

RNE, promising to write an FI Trip Report next May (in the proper forum).

P.S. I'm used to flying over the pond in business class, but SAGA ain't that (as far as I'm concerned), so I'll suffer in FI's coach seat and pocket the $500 fare difference.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
You're right about the baggage fees; good catch.

Anyway, my example was strictly coach class to Amsterdam. Factoring in status, variations between airlines' metal, seat pitch, meal quality, service levels in better classes, etc., are valid but complicate any 4-airline comparison. For simply getting a tourist from CLE to EU in an admittedly E- seat, FI packs a wallop pricewise.

RNE, promising to write an FI Trip Report next May (in the proper forum).

P.S. I'm used to flying over the pond in business class, but SAGA ain't that (as far as I'm concerned), so I'll suffer in FI's coach seat and pocket the $500 fare difference.
By the way, I'm seeing $480 fares for CLE-KEF-AMS for mid-May.

https://goo.gl/flights/ttjJ

Last edited by gusd; Sep 8, 2017 at 4:33 pm Reason: Edited to add link to Google Flights
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:38 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by gusd
By the way, I'm seeing $480 fares for CLE-KEF-AMS for mid-May.
Grab it! How can you go wrong?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:56 pm

Just noticed that the CLE website now lists the status of all of parking in the lower right corner of the page: http://www.clevelandairport.com
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:03 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134
Just noticed that the CLE website now lists the status of all of parking in the lower right corner of the page: http://www.clevelandairport.com
Those lots are way full for a Friday night.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:11 am

Updated Allegiant Ticket Counter

Looks a lot nicer.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:20 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134
Looks a lot nicer.
What's with that creepy haunted house graphic?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
What's with that creepy haunted house graphic?
It's the Franklin Castle on the West Side of Cleveland, part of the art work throughout the ticketing level called Type City Cleveland. It's actually quite an interesting series of artworks created by Cleveland Institute of Art students using different type fonts to create images of various points of interest in Cleveland.

http://www.clevelandairport.com/airp...city-cleveland
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
FI will be the new 737MAX effective May 16, 2018

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...routes-in-s18/
RNE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.