Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RNE
Well, yeah. Concourse D's "operating cost" is $1.1m/month. Anyway, CLE is O/D heavy. Will passengers stop flying UA because CLE club closes? Of course not. Where else are they going to go?

RNE, saying, "No club? No problem."
There are plenty of UCs at airports that are mostly O/D for United. For example in the Americas: AUS, BOS, DFW, FLL, LAS, MEX, MSP, LGA, SNA, MCO, PHL, PHX, PDX, SAT, SAN, SEA, and DCA.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:55 am
RNE

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
There are plenty of UCs at airports that are mostly O/D for United. For example in the Americas: AUS, BOS, DFW, FLL, LAS, MEX, MSP, LGA, SNA, MCO, PHL, PHX, PDX, SAT, SAN, SEA, and DCA.
All the more reason United doesn't need one at CLE. Call me crazy, but I think United has it in for NEO. Accordingly, it doesn't make rational decisions.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
All the more reason United doesn't need one at CLE. Call me crazy, but I think United has it in for NEO. Accordingly, it doesn't make rational decisions.
If it goes away, another lounge would step right in. "The Club" or whatever would be fine, UA doesn't need one at CLE, but since its there already it is probably a comparatively low cost benefit to keep going. I wonder how much they keep track of lounge memberships and chase UA-club card membership by geographic location.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moops380
If it goes away, another lounge would step right in. "The Club" or whatever would be fine, UA doesn't need one at CLE, but since its there already it is probably a comparatively low cost benefit to keep going. I wonder how much they keep track of lounge memberships and chase UA-club card membership by geographic location.
I know that they do track usage; if the club is still open when I get home and I don't have to be somewhere in a hurry I'll have them scan me in to keep the counts up... I don't stay long obviously but I see some of the club agents more often than my real coworkers so it's always nice to say hi

I see tremendous value in having a UA operated hub in CLE to keep me loyal because I know that the agents can get me unhosed quickly if it comes down to it, but if UA were to close the club it would be interesting to see if something like "The Club at Bluegrass" would fill in -- it's an airport operated lounge at LEX, of course that means no travel assistance, but they accept AA, UA, and DL memberships (maybe PriorityPass too) in addition to selling their own day passes/memberships... It's not as good as an airline branded/managed club but its certainly better than the alternatives.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I know that they do track usage; if the club is still open when I get home and I don't have to be somewhere in a hurry I'll have them scan me in to keep the counts up... I don't stay long obviously but I see some of the club agents more often than my real coworkers so it's always nice to say hi

I see tremendous value in having a UA operated hub in CLE to keep me loyal because I know that the agents can get me unhosed quickly if it comes down to it, but if UA were to close the club it would be interesting to see if something like "The Club at Bluegrass" would fill in -- it's an airport operated lounge at LEX, of course that means no travel assistance, but they accept AA, UA, and DL memberships (maybe PriorityPass too) in addition to selling their own day passes/memberships... It's not as good as an airline branded/managed club but its certainly better than the alternatives.
Any "The club" would certainly take PP membership. Having an agent there to rebook you is pretty amazing, I have saved days of travel due to being routed creatively during irrops. Its a pretty big space, I wonder if UA would ever share it with PP or AA or something similar. CLE-YUL was their go-to fix (europe) to all of my problems, probably took that 5x/year without intending.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:47 pm

There already is an alternate lounge at CLE, the Airspace Lounge, right at the entrance to the B Concourse. It does not participate in Priority Pass, but entry is free for AMEX Platinum card holders. The $20 fee is relatively modest. Of course, you cannot get assistance with your itinerary or other airline matters, but it is a quiet place to kill some time.

CLE | Airspace Lounge
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by guy44134
There already is an alternate lounge at CLE, the Airspace Lounge, right at the entrance to the B Concourse. It does not participate in Priority Pass, but entry is free for AMEX Platinum card holders. The $20 fee is relatively modest. Of course, you cannot get assistance with your itinerary or other airline matters, but it is a quiet place to kill some time.

CLE Airspace Lounge
Airspace is great (This might be the real place that transforms to "the club"). Have not used bar symon pp yet, but i hope they will allow take away so I can eat it in peace in the airspace lounge.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Here's the mishmosh that CLE UC is right now (04/12/18):

Same high tables as all other refreshed UCs around the system:

Basically no more chairs adjacent to the windows:

Same CO wood paneling:

I had wanted to take some better shots but some doof kept wandering around being a nuisance and I had to head for the gate.

David
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:49 am
RNE

Originally Posted by moops380
Any "The club" would certainly take PP membership. Having an agent there to rebook you is pretty amazing, I have saved days of travel due to being routed creatively during irrops. Its a pretty big space, I wonder if UA would ever share it with PP or AA or something similar. CLE-YUL was their go-to fix (europe) to all of my problems, probably took that 5x/year without intending.
And how! I too benefit from the club and its agents at the ready. I hope the CLE club stays. Inexplicably, United doesn't take my hopes into consideration when it makes decisions. Go figure.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:55 am
RNE

Anybody know where the Icelandair check-in counter is (or is going to be)?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Anybody know where the Icelandair check-in counter is (or is going to be)?
I've heard Icelandair and WOW will share "common-use" ticket counter space next to American Airlines at the north end of the terminal. I'm not sure this has been confirmed, however.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:49 pm
RNE

I've heard Icelandair and WOW will share "common-use" ticket counter space next to American Airlines at the north end of the terminal. I'm not sure this has been confirmed, however.
Thanks. Has anyone seen/know if that counter space is being readied? Signage? Kiosks? Etc? FI's inaugural (May 16) flight is not far off.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Thanks. Has anyone seen/know if that counter space is being readied? Signage? Kiosks? Etc? FI's inaugural (May 16) flight is not far off.
WOW's is even sooner-inaugural flight from KEF on May 3, departing early morning (12:30 a.m.) on May 4. I will check on signage on Sunday and report back.
RNE likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:06 am
RNE

WOW's is even sooner-inaugural flight from KEF on May 3, departing early morning (12:30 a.m.) on May 4. I will check on signage on Sunday and report back.
Please do report back. But in the meantime I contacted Hopkins and got this response:

Mr. RNE,
Thank you for your email to Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. The Icelandair check-in will be adjacent to the American Airlines counter on the north end of departures level by door 1.
Regards,
[name redacted]
CLE Customer Support
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:53 pm

There’s is some construction going on at the ticket counters next to the entrance to the North security checkpoint as well as 4 kiosks that look like ones I’ve seen for multiple airlines at other airports. So far, the only logo on the screen is WOW Air, none for Icelandair. The WOW link actually works. Here are some pics.

RNE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.