Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still no VRs at my local CVS, so I got some Vanilla Visas. I hope they show up soon -- usually I'm done with BB loads by this time of the month.

I checked my WM MO receipts yesterday, and I've manufactured over $75K since May, which might not be much to the serious MSers, but it surprised me. Add the BB spend and I've done over $100K in 6 months, most of it to get CC bonuses. I'm glad I started paying attention to this forum, although it's taking more of my time than I should really spend.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I'm glad I started paying attention to this forum, although it's taking more of my time than I should really spend.
Great post...this will be my epitaph.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:26 am

Has anyone one split up their purchases to test the 5k limit?

If I bought $2k in the morning and $3k in the afternoon will I be limited to buying $3k the tomorrow morning? Or can I buy the full $5k in the morning?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Has anyone one split up their purchases to test the 5k limit?

If I bought $2k in the morning and $3k in the afternoon will I be limited to buying $3k the tomorrow morning? Or can I buy the full $5k in the morning?

It's been reported that the $5k limit is based on a 24-hour rolling window. You'd need to wait if they did an ID scan.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Never have a problem on finding VR on CVS around PHL. Now, if they just re-educate all the clerk in the store near my house.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:16 pm

just wanted to report two bits of good news at least for me

$5k limit/24 hrs confirmed in store at my local cvs today - they actually have a flier up for the staff.
Also, racks of beans present finally.

I did plenty of counting today!

I had the 5k purchase along with a lot of MS this week trigger the visa fraud but a quick phone call by the cashier and we were golden. anyone get a visa authorization code hold before?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:47 pm

can report that several CVS's that I went to today had full racks of the new VRs. so, it seems the temporary shortage was due to the conversion to new cards, and not due to them pulling them (as i greatly feared).
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
With all this VR love going around I stopped at two of my favorite stores. No love found. Chicago still seems to be dry.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by balima
With all this VR love going around I stopped at two of my favorite stores. No love found. Chicago still seems to be dry.
I chat a little bit with a cashier at my local CVS today (I live in Indiana). It seems like their "inventory center" in midwest has a shortage of "that card".
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
4 of my 6 stores are back up and running with the new cards, hope it starts trickling down to everyone who is still dry. Took about 6 weeks here to restock.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare
I chat a little bit with a cashier at my local CVS today (I live in Indiana). It seems like their "inventory center" in midwest has a shortage of "that card".
I managed to get $5k in Indiana today.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by JRV62
Good luck with that -- with the Chicago seminars in town next weekend I'm sure there will be a lot of bean collectors out and about.
Unless the CVS truck pulls up within the next 3 days with big batches of VRs. The newbies at the seminars are going to be very disappointed with the pickings here in ORD.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My local CVS still doesn't have VRs, but the clerk said probably next Tuesday. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll keep buying the pricier Vanilla GCs for MOs. Can't seem to stop.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:18 pm

We got VRs down south as well and I had never seen them since I started doing this in June/July
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:45 pm

0-3 at CVS tonight. Haven't made their way up to MN apparently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.