Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:19 am

I take it slow with my CVS VR purchases, as I have several CVS's in my area that readily have VR's available. Yesterday I walked into one, purchased two VR's, and the manager asked if I was purchasing them for the miles. Given that I never buy more than one or two at a pop, her comment surprised me. I was completely honest with her, but I guess it's indicitive that some of the store mamangers are keen to why some folks purchase VR's.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by TTT103
I take it slow with my CVS VR purchases, as I have several CVS's in my area that readily have VR's available. Yesterday I walked into one, purchased two VR's, and the manager asked if I was purchasing them for the miles. Given that I never buy more than one or two at a pop, her comment surprised me. I was completely honest with her, but I guess it's indicitive that some of the store mamangers are keen to why some folks purchase VR's.
Or indicative that some customers are just honest about why they buy them. I had a chat with one of the staff and said I buy them for miles and points. She said the other guy that buys them at that store said he got them to send money to his kids in college. I told her I think he's probably lying and is getting them for the miles too. In this particular store they couldn't care less, it's just idle banter
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Or indicative that some customers are just honest about why they buy them. I had a chat with one of the staff and said I buy them for miles and points. She said the other guy that buys them at that store said he got them to send money to his kids in college. I told her I think he's probably lying and is getting them for the miles too. In this particular store they couldn't care less, it's just idle banter
Yes, the "money for kids in college story" is a bit of a stretch, as why would anyone incur a fee in this day and age of being able to easily transfer funds electronically from a traditional account.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
I wouldn't worry about it and would be honest also. What is the big secret? I could buy 2x2's practically all day long at different stores and rarely does anyone seem to care that much.

Last edited by zenride; Nov 26, 2013 at 7:21 am Reason: to change something :)
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Im as honest to stores as they are to me
Ill tell staff what I think makes sense for them.
I know doing what we are doing is just being a savvy shopper keen on stacking workable deals

I also would have said no to that manager... Why? Because I do vr for points not miles

Typ, spg, ur...

Im not sure ive actually bought a vr with a straight up miles earning cc in a long time
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I also would have said no to that manager... Why? Because I do vr for points not miles
I also do it for points but would probably say miles because it sounds better.. OMG!!! You are more honest than me!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Id say miles too
Was sorta kidding

But actually i usually say cash back cuz people understand and accept that more
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Id say miles too
Was sorta kidding

But actually i usually say cash back cuz people understand and accept that more
Me too... but i must admit saying you don't do it for miles is sorta honest.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'm not sure if anyone here is using BofA, but they have started categorizing purchases of beans as Cash advances. I have a card that was netting me a slight profit when considering fees, but now I'll go in a different direction. Needless to say, I'm not pleased. Is there a list of other banks that do this?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I'm not sure if anyone here is using BofA, but they have started categorizing purchases of beans as Cash advances. I have a card that was netting me a slight profit when considering fees, but now I'll go in a different direction. Needless to say, I'm not pleased. Is there a list of other banks that do this?
How do they know what you are buying?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
My last boa purchase was 11-21 and it went throught as purchase not CA
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
How do they know what you are buying?
No idea.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Which BOA card? Did you only purchase VR or was there anything else in the order as well?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
My last boa purchase was 11-21 and it went throught as purchase not CA
Mine was on the 19th

11/22/2013 Collapse transaction for Transaction date: 11/22/2013 CVS 6415 06415 Transaction date: 11/19/2013
Card type: American Express
Transaction type: ATM Cash Advances or Bank Transaction
Reference number: M05DKK53101LZ028Y2
Merchant information: , TN
Offer ID: FX9LQFPM3
Dispute this transaction
Type Bank Transaction $999.90 $999.90
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Which BOA card? Did you only purchase VR or was there anything else in the order as well?
The Accelerated Cash Rewards card. I only purchased beans. I've purchased there before. Generally, I do transactions under $500. I'm going to try that to see if it changes the scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.