Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
It was the manager, not a noob cashier. And he did swipe my ID. Then, proceeded to enter all the data. I know of the ID swipe, but spending 5 min entering data manually on the screen?
Before I received the new style drivers license that can be scanned the cashiers would attempt to swipe my license like a credit card and would still need to enter in all off my information manually. It wasn't a SAR just the only way to get the data needed from my ID. Finally got the new ID and had a cashier scan it and then still proceed to manually enter the data. Again, it wasn't a SAR but either she didn't scan correctly or a glitch happened and didn't pre fill the data like it usually does.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
Originally Posted by Khiaao
At one that said cash only
she said her manager got a memo from corporate saying cash only
to help avoid fraud..
Went to this same store at a different day and time to buy some Pepsi and saw some OV at the counter and ask the cashier if they can be paid with a cc she said yes sure can. So i got one and it processed fine.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
The reloads? They went cash only at the same time as everything else
They were on the memo but they did not go cash only, register processed them fine...They have all been pulled in my area for about a month now.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:38 am

The reloads? They went cash only at the same time as everything else
They were on the memo but they did not go cash only, register processed them fine...They have all been pulled in my area for about a month now.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by cancerisking
I just bought PP cards with a CC this morning at CEE VEE SSSSS
I call BS. Post a receipt.
somebody is collecting the inventory
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
It was the manager, not a noob cashier. And he did swipe my ID. Then, proceeded to enter all the data. I know of the ID swipe, but spending 5 min entering data manually on the screen?
Listen, you won't be certain when someone files an SAR on you. A SSN is not necessary. They are required to file if you walk away after being requested for more information or seem otherwise spooked by scrutiny, even if they get little or no info from you. The manager may have been filling out whatever is required by CVS or what is required by people outside of them. You shouldn't be worried about this if you aren't doing anything fraudulent. People who move a lot of money have no doubt had stacks of reports written on them by various sources.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:16 am

CVS master thread

At cvs could you use a VGC with pin to buy a VR? Ignore the 8-9 in fees.

Do they check license, need to hand card to cashier?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
Originally Posted by rismoney
At cvs could you use a VGC with pin to buy a VR? Ignore the 8-9 in fees.

Do they check license, need to hand card to cashier?

VRs are cash only.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:15 am

stopped by at (formerly friendly) CVS store and there are huge signs: "ALL GIFT CARDS ARE CASH ONLY".
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
stopped by at (formerly friendly) CVS store and there are huge signs: "ALL GIFT CARDS ARE CASH ONLY".

This was the case earlier today at my local CVS as well.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:18 pm

I tried to buy a Paypal Cash card today and was told cash only, this was also a store that I just bought some from not long ago. Different crew though.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
Some stores have been that way for years. Others have been moving into that status one by one. One more store doing it doesn't mean anything major yet......
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by clockhand
VRs are cash only.
Debit card or cash...
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Debit card or cash...
Why? Even with the rewards debit cards out there, this is not worth it...
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:52 am

Why? Even with the rewards debit cards out there, this is not worth it...
how do you figure?
with a 5x card, buy a $500 $4.95 VGC. put pin on it.
Buy a $4.95 VR.
$9.90 spent - rewards earned, $25-9.90 = $14.10

question is do they check ID and ask to see VGC to compare name on debit transactions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.