Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:56 pm

I just got denied buying a ov with an amex gift card from the Office Depot promotion. It was hard codes not to accept this type of card. Anyone else had issues. I just bought with amex gift cards ordered online last week. Anybody heard about a change? I'm going to register the amex gift cards and see if that changes anything. I'll let you know what happens.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by gaspony
I just got denied buying a ov with an amex gift card from the Office Depot promotion. It was hard codes not to accept this type of card. Anyone else had issues. I just bought with amex gift cards ordered online last week. Anybody heard about a change? I'm going to register the amex gift cards and see if that changes anything. I'll let you know what happens.
Unless it's hardcoded for not accepting CC.

I usually get denied by the cashier, not the POS machine. You just have to try again with another cashier, or another location.

They do not like GC for GC.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
I am not sure what you are talking about, but it has been known since at least mid-March that you can no longer buy VR cards at CVS/pharmacy
apparently not
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:09 pm

My local cvs is now cash only for all visa and Mastercard gift cards, including OV. This is in a small town in Louisiana. I'm thinking it is just this stores new policy... memo came out today. Going to a neighboring town tomorrow, and hope to load up there. Just kind of a bummer as there are only a few places around here to get OV and VGC.....
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by seven-up
I'm thinking it is just this stores new policy... memo came out today
Did you see an actual printed Memo ?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Did you see an actual printed Memo ?
yes.

And I'm not trying to say doom and gloom at all cvs. This was just at the one here in my town.

Last edited by seven-up; Jul 18, 2014 at 3:10 pm
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:17 pm

I'll probably try to pick up a few in about 3hrs here in So Cal. I'll let you guys know.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Probably a weird coincidence, but about 2hrs ago I got the "alternate form of payment required" when I used my SPG Amex, but I assume I triggered a fraud alert since another mc cc was accepted.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:26 pm

I bought $1500 about an hour ago.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Gld, HH Gld, MR Gld
Purchased $2000 this morning in Sacramento.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by picards007
Probably a weird coincidence, but about 2hrs ago I got the "alternate form of payment required" when I used my SPG Amex, but I assume I triggered a fraud alert since another mc cc was accepted.
Ya I got the alternate form of payment both at cvs and walgreens off of one of the Office Depot amex $100 gift cards to by a OV. Maybe it is just those cards. I quickly switched to my 5% wellsfargo just to get out of there. Maybe I'll go to an out of the way cvs and try a bunch of different things just to see how shady I can be without the clerk getting freaked out.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by seven-up
yes.

And I'm trying to say doom and gloom at all cvs. This was just at the one here in my town.
I sent my wife on a detour on her way home from work. She was just able to buy a VGC at a CVS one town over. So, it seems to only be my local store. I'm still bummed about it, but nothing I can do at this point I guess except use another avenue or just drive to another town....
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
apparently not
Wow, apparently f0xx and I were too snarky to have our answers to DCBob left up? All f0xx did was question his literacy.

Anyway, yeah, Bob, you could buy VRs at the pharmacy register until this week. So, next time you have to start a post with "I am not sure what you are talking about", it's best not to finish it.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:04 pm

And a clarification in case someone else misses another point: yes, technically you can STILL buy VR at pharmacy, just not with CC any more, in southern Florida at least.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by picards007
I had the same issue 3 days in a row with the cards I bought from Office Max. I believe that take some time to activate. If I go back the next day or even later that day, they are fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.