Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nuclfusion
Can't remember, but what's the transaction limit on OVs at once? Is it $2500 per transaction before the POS locks up? Swear I remember seeing $2500 before for some reason
$2500 is the limit for filling out paperwork on WMBP.

$5K is the top limit for purchasing OVs at CVS within 24 hours. Some locations set lower limits for themselves only.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
$2500 is the limit for filling out paperwork on WMBP.

$5K is the top limit for purchasing OVs at CVS within 24 hours. Some locations set lower limits for themselves only.
There is also a limit on number of swipes. So, if using $500 AMEX GC, trying to buy more than $2500 in OV will (at least in my location)

a) cause the transaction to be voided
b) the funds will have been taken from the swiped cards, and you need to wait about a week to get the funds back
c) and the $2500 probably counts against your 24 hour rolling limit.

So: use higher-denomination AGC, or split in $2,500 purchases, or go to a CVS which doesn't have these policies (if there are any!)
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by silver6054
There is also a limit on number of swipes. So, if using $500 AMEX GC, trying to buy more than $2500 in OV will (at least in my location)

b) the funds will have been taken from the swiped cards, and you need to wait about a week to get the funds back

So: use higher-denomination AGC, or split in $2,500 purchases, or go to a CVS which doesn't have these policies (if there are any!)
I've determined that the limit of swipes is 7 at CVS, at least around here. So 5 $500 AGCs plus a last credit card to pay the fees would work.

Last edited by cdancer20; Jun 6, 2014 at 12:01 pm
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:02 am

When making my usual OV purchase, my local cashier told me that "everyone else buys the flat cards." I asked her what she meant and she walked over to the gift card rack and grabbed two VRs.

Register was hard-coded (as expected). I'm not sure if she just didn't realize you can't use a credit card. Cashiers at this store saw Frequent Miler's piece on Yahoo. They are now very interested in and supportive of what I am doing. They used to just run my transactions with apathy.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:58 am

That's right. Tied into the number of AMEX GC swipes. Currently carrying $1k AGCs so I should be able to max out my $5k. May just run $4k for a 5 swipe total just to play it safe. Hate carrying these $1k cards but only way I can get biz GC orders to go through, hah! Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by my1stmile
... They are now very interested in and supportive of what I am doing. They used to just run my transactions with apathy.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I've determined that the limit of swipes is 7 at CVS, at least around here. So 5 $500 AGCs plus a last credit card to pay the fees would work.
Yes, I said you can buy $2,500. So are you able to buy $3K, with 6 AGC and a credit card?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ParkALot
I'm planning on going again tomorrow morning and will ask a few more questions. I'll keep everyone posted.
Please don't. Without substantial concrete evidence it'll be hearsay & it'll cause the uneducated to question without cause, prematurely at the very least.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:58 pm

I walked into my local CVS last night and there were no OVs on the rack. I asked the cashier and she pulled out a bag of them from behind the register, which was nice to see. She asked if I wanted 10 and I said no, 5 will work for today. She then said, $500 on each, right? Keep in mind this is the first time I had seen this cashier. She then asked me if I was getting those Amex points and I just told her no, I would be using a Visa. Come to find out that apparently another potential FTer is working this store as well as he informed the cashier about taking his wife to Paris in 1st class for about $400 OOP. Maybe we'll cross paths one day, LOL...good thing there is a honey hole CVS I found that always has 3 full racks of OVs. Most of the other ones around town are usually wiped out. In conclusion, this CVS is well aware of what is going on, but apparently has no issue with it. She also didn't mention any upcoming change to the current policy, but I also didn't explicitly ask her.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
Please don't. Without substantial concrete evidence it'll be hearsay & it'll cause the uneducated to question without cause, prematurely at the very least.
Correct. But you posted this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22991668-post6392.html

And we're still hoping for some, "substantial concrete evidence".
Nothing personal, it just fit together so well, couldn't pass up the elegance.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by bmrisko
I walked into my local CVS last night and there were no OVs on the rack. I asked the cashier and she pulled out a bag of them from behind the register, which was nice to see. She asked if I wanted 10 and I said no, 5 will work for today. She then said, $500 on each, right? Keep in mind this is the first time I had seen this cashier. She then asked me if I was getting those Amex points and I just told her no, I would be using a Visa. Come to find out that apparently another potential FTer is working this store as well as he informed the cashier about taking his wife to Paris in 1st class for about $400 OOP. Maybe we'll cross paths one day, LOL...good thing there is a honey hole CVS I found that always has 3 full racks of OVs. Most of the other ones around town are usually wiped out. In conclusion, this CVS is well aware of what is going on, but apparently has no issue with it. She also didn't mention any upcoming change to the current policy, but I also didn't explicitly ask her.
She was just giving you the last of the honey before CVS smashes up the honeycomb. hahahaha
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
She was just giving you the last of the honey before CVS smashes up the honeycomb. hahahaha
LOL, wouldn't surprise me...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Yes, I said you can buy $2,500. So are you able to buy $3K, with 6 AGC and a credit card?
Never tried but as long as your CVS supports it, yes. I regularly have done 7 transactions. Had cashier mess up before and that's how I verified it wasn't 8.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:49 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
the amount doesnt matter, its the number of swipes. a max of 7 hard coded into the register, lower limits per cashier/manager discretion. and btw 7 includes all forms of payments, so for ex. even if you were paying cash for some large purchase and wanted to split up your transaction between 7 friends that each had cash, thats the max # of splits the register would accept.

anyways as far as swipes go, you could do 5 $1k AGC swipes for the $5k load and the balance of fees on another (credit) card if your CVS is cool w/using GC/prepaid to buy GC (not a hard coded stop.)
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
the amount doesnt matter, its the number of swipes. a max of 7 hard coded into the registerl
OK, for some reason I thought I was blocked when I swiped the 6th card, but it was probably the 7th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.