Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:58 pm

The ID verification did not work early in the day, but is fixed already.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by romeogg
Let's be realistic. How many people including MS veterans read 10,000 posts in this thread several times? Even search failed because of too many bogus hits. There is a reason why we have a wiki page.
I HAVE....I've kept up with this thread from the beginning and have read every single post.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by romeogg
Let's be realistic. How many people including MS veterans read 10,000 posts in this thread several times? Even search failed because of too many bogus hits. There is a reason why we have a wiki page.
Me.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:11 pm

Great....purchase 1.5k in OV at cvs today. All shows activated on the receipt. But 2 were not. Now I had to open a ticket with Incomm..
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
Great....purchase 1.5k in OV at cvs today. All shows activated on the receipt. But 2 were not. Now I had to open a ticket with Incomm..
Two of my normal VGC cards balked at WM today (no not the tender issue), I logged into vanillavisa and the money is there and happy, so is this just a bad day issue? Wait and come back?

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Was anyone able to buy normal VGCs yesterday during the glitch? I ask b/c I went into CVS to get 3 OVs. I had forgotten about the glitch but when it happened, I luckily wasn't surprised. The cashier refused to do multiple transactions though b/c he had gotten talked to last week for doing splits for me. (The other manager was standing nearby and said something.). So I thanked him and told him I would go to the CVS down the street.

However, I remembered that 7-Eleven is on the way to Wal-Mart. I went in there to grab 2 OVs. They both rang up but then the second one faulted and cancelled out that half of the transactions. I was only able to buy 1. I wasn't sure if it was a faulty OV though so I grabbed a second one and had the cashier redo that.

So my question is - is it possible that the external OV-system was having issues loading multiple OVs instead of a CVS specific ID scan issue? I mean the issue always happened AFTER the cashier rings up the second OV which of course is when the ID is scanned.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: Several dozen
Nice to hear some 7-11s are not cash-only. Your credit is no good on the local ones over here.

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Was anyone able to buy normal VGCs yesterday during the glitch? I ask b/c I went into CVS to get 3 OVs. I had forgotten about the glitch but when it happened, I luckily wasn't surprised. The cashier refused to do multiple transactions though b/c he had gotten talked to last week for doing splits for me. (The other manager was standing nearby and said something.). So I thanked him and told him I would go to the CVS down the street.

However, I remembered that 7-Eleven is on the way to Wal-Mart. I went in there to grab 2 OVs. They both rang up but then the second one faulted and cancelled out that half of the transactions. I was only able to buy 1. I wasn't sure if it was a faulty OV though so I grabbed a second one and had the cashier redo that.

So my question is - is it possible that the external OV-system was having issues loading multiple OVs instead of a CVS specific ID scan issue? I mean the issue always happened AFTER the cashier rings up the second OV which of course is when the ID is scanned.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Nice to hear some 7-11s are not cash-only. Your credit is no good on the local ones over here.
Yep no issues. The cashier was initially concerned that OVs would be cash-only since some other items are. But I knew they weren't and she had no issues trying anyways. Sorry to hear this news for you though. 7-11 definitely makes for a great way to spend $1500 during Freedom gas category.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Yep no issues. The cashier was initially concerned that OVs would be cash-only since some other items are. But I knew they weren't and she had no issues trying anyways. Sorry to hear this news for you though. 7-11 definitely makes for a great way to spend $1500 during Freedom gas category.
Back in the VR days, 7-11 often limited buyers to one $500 card per day. This was something in their system - the second card would fail to activate or similar. I never found a way around it, and it still exists for GC's in my area.

My guess is this is what you ran into. You could always try again when there are no broader "glitches" out there.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Back in the VR days, 7-11 often limited buyers to one $500 card per day. This was something in their system - the second card would fail to activate or similar. I never found a way around it, and it still exists for GC's in my area.

My guess is this is what you ran into. You could always try again when there are no broader "glitches" out there.
Thanks but I've done more than one as recent as a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it could just be a remnant of times past.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:14 am

Was anyone able to buy normal VGCs yesterday during the glitch ?
OV is a normal VGC. there is nothing special about it, just a different design on the package
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
OV is a normal VGC. there is nothing special about it, just a different design on the package
By normal, I meant non-OV. Are these by different companies?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:20 am

No, they are all issued by the same The Bancorp Bank and all distributed by the same Incomm
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by sosamo
Same here, yesterday purchased 8 VGCs at CVS at just after 7 PM ET. Only 1 card did not activate properly. Opened a ticket with Incomm this morning.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by unkinected
Same here, yesterday purchased 8 VGCs at CVS at just after 7 PM ET. Only 1 card did not activate properly. Opened a ticket with Incomm this morning.
How do you see if the card is not activated properly? It does not show a balance when u call in or view online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.