Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:13 pm

Totally think it would be a good idea to organize online grammar classes and open it to users of this forum. The native speakers need it most.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by newuser0
Sorry if my writing style has confused any one. English is not my first language, and I am still learning to write well grammatically.
don't worry English is my first language and I have difficulty with my writing, it drive mrs particlemn crazy as she is an editor, I however am just an engineer
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by newuser0
Sorry if my writing style has confused any one. English is not my first language, and I am still learning to write well grammatically.
As long as you don't say "payed" you are all right
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:27 pm

Has CVS changed the policy on OV's to cash? I just went, after a month or so, and the manager said cash only. It took some convincing (calling some branch manager on the phone) to swipe the OV and see the message on the screen about cash tender only.

This is in PR. I'll try another CVS later this week. Is this a CVS policy, or just some stores going that way?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum,
I have hit 4 CVS between Pittsburgh and central PA while traveling for work, each one rang up the VR, but the register wouldn't allow CC as payment. Cashiers said that is new, has never seen it do that (2 of the 4 said it, the other two just said, sorry cash only). Could they be rolling out the dreaded update?
*looks up! sees the sky falling*
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by HighFive
I have hit 4 CVS between Pittsburgh and central PA while traveling for work, each one rang up the VR, but the register wouldn't allow CC as payment. Cashiers said that is new, has never seen it do that (2 of the 4 said it, the other two just said, sorry cash only). Could they be rolling out the dreaded update?
VR's have been dead w cc since 4/3/2014. Big letters right in the wiki
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Lol you gotta be kidding. VR has been dead for two months.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:20 pm

[redacted]...that was for the ones saying they can still buy them with CC. It shows that systems are being updated regularly and without cashiers knowing.

Last edited by cbn42; Jun 4, 2014 at 1:07 am
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:53 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
so as far as OVs, VGCs etc go, I've been trying to diversify spend -- not only for any given bank analyst if they were to take a look or review my account, but also dont wanna rely too much on CVS aka single point of failure, if they ever turn off the tap.

so far I've found gas stations, Wags, certain grocery stores, malls and ofc office stores/online avenues to purchase these. the only drawback is no one is anywhere close to the daily volume one can achieve at CVS in one stop.

tonight I happened to see a lotta variable GCs upto $500 at WM for a lower fee -- has anybody been able to buy these GCs with CC @ WM recently? if so, has there been a limit?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by andres17
Has CVS changed the policy on OV's to cash? I just went, after a month or so, and the manager said cash only. It took some convincing (calling some branch manager on the phone) to swipe the OV and see the message on the screen about cash tender only.

This is in PR. I'll try another CVS later this week. Is this a CVS policy, or just some stores going that way?
A CVS cashier showed me a new thing that pops up on their screens when they scan an OV: something something tender, I don't know. Taking from the reactions I've been getting lately, there may be change afoot. If CVS dries this up, I'm sure not buying anymore overpriced Gatorade or "premium" water there again.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:05 am

[redacted]...that was for the ones saying they can still buy them with CC. It shows that systems are being updated regularly and without cashiers knowing.
So you are implying that some CVS stores may still not have gotten the update, even after 60 days have passed ?

Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
so you stopped at 4 CVS' and wasted your time to prove something (in your mind) to complete strangers on a web forum...glad you have nothing better to do with your time. Furthermore, just because you stopped at 4 CVS' in PA does not prove anything since there are distinct regions within CVS nationwide and the updates were rolled out at different times (and its quite possible some stores slipped through the cracks)....Great waste of time Sherlock

Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
A CVS cashier showed me a new thing that pops up on their screens when they scan an OV: something something tender, I don't know
At a particular store where the screen is fully visible to the customer, I saw something similar first appear about 60 days ago.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
so you stopped at 4 CVS' and wasted your time to prove something (in your mind) to complete strangers on a web forum...glad you have nothing better to do with your time. Furthermore, just because you stopped at 4 CVS' in PA does not prove anything since there are distinct regions within CVS nationwide and the updates were rolled out at different times (and its quite possible some stores slipped through the cracks)....Great waste of time Sherlock
Waste of time? It's no waste of time buying a few K worth of OV at once, I don't have cvs where I live and nowhere allows more than 1 purchase of $500 per day. Due to the fact I was in the middle of nowhere and decided to give it a try to see if it would work has absolutely nothing to do with trying to prove anything to strangers, it was just an attempt to see how the store was operating. And I thought I would share my experience and what I was told by an employee. I'll just keep to myself and go back to lurking now, hopefully I don't find anything new that would be beneficial to MSers, like another chain of stores that is located in almost 10 states that has a sign posted next to gift cards saying you can purchase $5,000 per day, wait a second, that sounds familiar....

Last edited by HighFive; Jun 4, 2014 at 7:02 am
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
A CVS cashier showed me a new thing that pops up on their screens when they scan an OV: something something tender, I don't know. Taking from the reactions I've been getting lately, there may be change afoot. If CVS dries this up, I'm sure not buying anymore overpriced Gatorade or "premium" water there again.
I haven't bought a thing (other than OV's) in CVS since April. If they take the OV's, I would probably never put a foot there (except for prescriptions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.