Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:14 pm

It's getting harder to get more than $1K at a time in my local CVS. I only have one CVS here in my town.

Today, Store Manager was the counter, and I went to him with 4 OV. He said, I can do only 1K. I said ok.

Then total was $1k +9.xx fees. I asked him to split the transaction, with $1K on AGC and rest on a cc. He is like " I am the store Manager, I will NOT Split the transaction, you have to swipe all on one shot", Was too rude IMO.
What can I do if he is the store manager? But any way, ended up using BC card finally.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by newuser0
It's getting harder to get more than $1K at a time in my local CVS. I only have one CVS here in my town.

Today, Store Manager was the counter, and I went to him with 4 OV. He said, I can do only 1K. I said ok.

Then total was $1k +9.xx fees. I asked him to split the transaction, with $1K on AGC and rest on a cc. He is like " I am the store Manager, I will NOT Split the transaction, you have to swipe all on one shot", Was too rude IMO.
What can I do if he is the store manager? But any way, ended up using BC card finally.
You're going to have to find another store.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:50 pm

Evidently you need to work on your attitude and the way you ask for things. I can't imagine someone behind a counter talking to me like that.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:59 pm

Just started buying OV with AGC in the past week so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Both times I've only bought 2 at a time. I don't ask to split the transaction; I just swipe the 1k AGC and then after the CSR enters the last 4 digits, the register prompts me for the remaining 9.90.

Now to just unload the 5 OVs I have.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by thoughts1053
Just started buying OV with AGC in the past week so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Both times I've only bought 2 at a time. I don't ask to split the transaction; I just swipe the 1k AGC and then after the CSR enters the last 4 digits, the register prompts me for the remaining 9.90.

Now to just unload the 5 OVs I have.
You want to know a secret way to get the cashiers to OFFER to split the transaction? Tell them you need a receipt for each card and leave them in silence. Their response will be that they would have to do them separately. Pause for a moment. Say that's fine. It hasn't failed me in 15+ CVSs. It's worked with every person.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:20 pm

1) based on your posts in several threads, I think it would be very healthy for you to take a step back and evaluate whether this is really a good investment of your time and peace of mind. Either you have really bad luck or there is a common denominator to your reoccurring issues.

2) no one has a right to MS, buy things at a certain store, etc. any store can decide they don't want to do business with you at any time, based any reason they decide, corporate policy, "patriot act", or whatever story they make up. Your attitude and response to adversity should reflect this or you will only dig yourself a deeper hole (and potentially others with collateral damage). Please keep all of that in mind, especially the others.

3) the manager's single payment requirement is a bit strange, but see point #2. This really should be a non-issue. MS is very location and employee sensitive. There is no easy button at times. You need to be able to adjust and be flexible. It is concerning you need help figuring this particular issue out. Even more concerning the subsequent recommendations.

I'll do you a favor and solve your problem:

1000= 495.05 + 4.95 + 495.05 + 4.95

494.05 + 495.05 = 989.40 + 0.70

Now please do the forum a favor and think before spamming away for help. You are going to have more issues in the future, we all are, but please try to act like a professional.

The problem with spoon feeding or waking before crawling is the critical thinking and problem solving skills are not developed.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
You want to know a secret way to get the cashiers to OFFER to split the transaction? Tell them you need a receipt for each card and leave them in silence. Their response will be that they would have to do them separately. Pause for a moment. Say that's fine. It hasn't failed me in 15+ CVSs. It's worked with every person.
That's a good method, but what's the benefit? So that they don't need to swipe your id? So that you can do more than 5k in one day?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by thoughts1053
That's a good method, but what's the benefit? So that they don't need to swipe your id? So that you can do more than 5k in one day?
No swipe, and I get a receipt for each card. I actually like that for my accounting. A twofer for me.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

First thank you newuser0 for your post the other day about the OV to MO problem, that actually helped me a great deal and I now have found a new supply of vgc from metabank that work with no issues, however on this I am some what at odds of the manager being rude, being rude is if he called you names or insulted your ethnicity, but simply stating he will not split a transaction for a cash instrument is not rude, it is most likely a sound practice to avoid being scammed by card thief's, why would he think you were a card thief? he probably does not but with all the crazy stories about people scamming with these gift cards any thing out of the ordinary would be a trigger to say no, also if one is told no and they throw a fit and complain the CSR now has justification in his mind that he made the right decision because the customer was up to something, understand I did not say you were up to something but in the managers mind you were and that's all it takes. remember you were trying to make an oddball purchase to him for a value more than he makes in a week with some gift cards that are ripe with fraud.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
1) based on your posts in several threads, I think it would be very healthy for you to take a step back and evaluate whether this is really a good investment of your time and peace of mind. Either you have really bad luck or there is a common denominator to your reoccurring issues.

2) no one has a right to MS, buy things at a certain store, etc. any store can decide they don't want to do business with you at any time, based any reason they decide, corporate policy, "patriot act", or whatever story they make up. Your attitude and response to adversity should reflect this or you will only dig yourself a deeper hole (and potentially others with collateral damage). Please keep all of that in mind, especially the others.

3) the manager's single payment requirement is a bit strange, but see point #2. This really should be a non-issue. MS is very location and employee sensitive. There is no easy button at times. You need to be able to adjust and be flexible. It is concerning you need help figuring this particular issue out. Even more concerning the subsequent recommendations.

Now please do the forum a favor and think before spamming away for help. You are going to have more issues in the future, we all are, but please try to act like a professional.

The problem with spoon feeding or waking before crawling is the critical thinking and problem solving skills are not developed.
I don't know what you were thinking of me when you wrote this.

1. This is the FIRST Time my CVS rejected my SPLIT payment.
2. I just shared my experience on what happened.
3. I usually do 490.10 +500+ fees = 1000 AGC.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
First thank you newuser0 for your post the other day about the OV to MO problem, that actually helped me a great deal and I now have found a new supply of vgc from metabank that work with no issues, however on this I am some what at odds of the manager being rude, being rude is if he called you names or insulted your ethnicity, but simply stating he will not split a transaction for a cash instrument is not rude, it is most likely a sound practice to avoid being scammed by card thief's, why would he think you were a card thief? he probably does not but with all the crazy stories about people scamming with these gift cards any thing out of the ordinary would be a trigger to say no, also if one is told no and they throw a fit and complain the CSR now has justification in his mind that he made the right decision because the customer was up to something, understand I did not say you were up to something but in the managers mind you were and that's all it takes. remember you were trying to make an oddball purchase to him for a value more than he makes in a week with some gift cards that are ripe with fraud.
Thanks bro. But actually I always had a pleasent CSR in my CVS. The way he spoke to me was bit sounded harsher. of Course, I played safe, just agreed to what ever he likes and move on. I do have a WG, they have $500 Limit. It's just waste of gas to me
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zozeppelin

I give up. Good luck.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

am I reading this correctly
1.this is the first time your were rejected for a split payment
3. you usually do NOT split payments but just swipe one card,
4. you are upset because you strayed from your normal plan and it did not go smoothly.
5. keep with normal plan
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:57 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
[redacted] this was the first time CVS denied newuser0s split payments, that means hes done splits multiple times in the past before, all successfully.

he is upset cause the manager flipped the rules on him all of a sudden today. this was his usual plan but didnt go smoothly today for some reason known only to the mangers state of mind.

Last edited by cbn42; Jun 2, 2014 at 9:14 pm Reason: snark
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:10 pm

Sorry if my writing style has confused any one. English is not my first language, and I am still learning to write well grammatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.