Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
I thought there were hordes of us doing this? But just this last week, we went in to CVS to get our $5K OVs for our May BB loads. Two cashiers, long time workers there, said they thought they were cash only now, according to the memo. I explained, and they were willing to try it out, and I think actually happy it worked. But how can it be that no one has bought OVs from either of these two guys since VRs died?
Meh, I've found no evidence of other MSers in my area of Indiana, despite a multitude of chain drugstores and multiple Walmarts. It's all my virgin territory.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
Meh, I've found no evidence of other MSers in my area of Indiana, despite a multitude of chain drugstores and multiple Walmarts. It's all my virgin territory.
What part of Indiana?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hilbe
What part of Indiana?
*silence but for crickets*
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
If it's at one of my regular stores, if there is any confusion on something I take the time to clear it up then and there. Who wants to think about it or deal with it later?
Good point. I guess it depends on what the issue is and who is telling me. I might react differently around a store manager than around an associate I regularly buy from. My main point was to applaud him/her for not raising a stink. Asking nicely for them to try it and see what the machine does is fine, but there are horror stories out there of people going all DYKWIA on CVS or WM associates. That's what needs to be avoided.

I also never argue when they tell me there's a max. I've never been told I couldn't buy two at a time, so I just do my $1000 and move on.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I also never argue when they tell me there's a max. I've never been told I couldn't buy two at a time, so I just do my $1000 and move on.
In this situation I think it's worth speaking up. When they try to do more than $500 the message they get on their screen says "restricted item". Kind of a scary sounding message. Most appear to have not been trained that when you see this message, you scan the customers ID. Just ask them to scan your ID and try again. Not that big of a deal IMO.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:30 pm

I thought there were hordes of us doing this? But just this last week, we went in to CVS to get our $5K OVs for our May BB loads. Two cashiers, long time workers there, said they thought they were cash only now, according to the memo. I explained, and they were willing to try it out, and I think actually happy it worked. But how can it be that no one has bought OVs from either of these two guys since VRs died?
I was surprised to be told at one of my semi-regular CVSs that OV are cash only. I said "Are you sure" and she pointed to her manager who said, "Yes, since March." I said "I think those are My Vanilla, these are One Vanilla", so he told her to scan, and of course it worked. But I have bought maybe $30K of OV there since VR died, guess just never with this manager and this clerk.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by TTnC4me
The preprinted fees are actually less?
Yes, $2.95 for a variable load if you're in an area where this product is available.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by silver6054
But I have bought maybe $30K of OV there since VR died, guess just never with this manager and this clerk.
Only $30K? For shame!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am working in a new site for my company right now (two in my area.) I thought I got really lucky with a CVS just a few miles away from my job that is right across the street from a WM. I went in there a few weeks ago to buy some OVs and the cashier mentioned the "Cash only" policy. I didn't feel like arguing that day esp cuz I was in a hurry to get to WM for BP before 7. So I asked what about regular Visa GCs. He said he was told all gift cards are cash only now. So I didn't argue at all and just walked out mad.

The bad part is that right near my job (like 0.5 miles away in the opposite direction) is another CVS that I know is still good. I should have gone there first.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:24 am

Bought 4 OV GCs, 500 each and on the receipt, next to the my XXX Amex Blue number, it said MS....wondering if anyone else noticed that and what that means....
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by yenner
Bought 4 OV GCs, 500 each and on the receipt, next to the my XXX Amex Blue number, it said MS....wondering if anyone else noticed that and what that means....
YOU'VE BEEN MADE!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:07 am

I'd suggest to everyone to carry your passport with you and hand that to them when needed. I'd guess it's less useful to identity thieves. Just my thought.
They don't have the ability to scan a passport. My experience.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:11 am

always found this amusing too
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:11 am

Manufactured Spending. AMEX Black helicopters have been dispatched...
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ddallas
Manufactured Spending. AMEX Black helicopters have been dispatched...
Yes theirs have a small blue square on the tail. They descended on me last week but I hid under a garbage pile of spent GC packages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.