Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
Totally think it would be a good idea to organize online grammar classes and open it to users of this forum. The native speakers need it most.
"He who does for the least of my brothers does for me"
It's in the Bible...so let's go easy on the lads...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
It's been talked about before. The alternate tender required message usually happens when there is a fraud alert on your payment method or the chosen payment method fails. It can be interpreted by the cashier to mean "cash only", but it most cases it's benign. Being able to handle this and say, "Oh, I got an alert like that the other day. Let me call my bank quickly." can diffuse the situation and avoid turning off the spigot at a cc friendly CVS.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by andres17
I haven't bought a thing (other than OV's) in CVS since April. If they take the OV's, I would probably never put a foot there (except for prescriptions).
amen to that!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by andres17
I haven't bought a thing (other than OV's) in CVS since April. If they take the OV's, I would probably never put a foot there (except for prescriptions).
I had a complete lapse of memory last month. I'm so use to going into CVS to buy OVs only and using one of my 5x credit card. Then for normal spend, I use my 2x Arrival card. Well last month, I had to make a rare purchase from the pharmacy for a $50 prescription. It wasn't until just yesterday (weeks later) that I realized I used my 2x card instead of one of my 5x cards. I guess in my mind, CVS=MS. If it's not MS-related then my mind goes to normal spend. (Though I do remember to use it for normal spending at grocery but I think that that's b/c I always had a 5x grocery card so it's second nature)
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by HighFive
Waste of time? It's no waste of time buying a few K worth of OV at once, I don't have cvs where I live and nowhere allows more than 1 purchase of $500 per day. Due to the fact I was in the middle of nowhere and decided to give it a try to see if it would work has absolutely nothing to do with trying to prove anything to strangers, it was just an attempt to see how the store was operating. And I thought I would share my experience and what I was told by an employee. I'll just keep to myself and go back to lurking now, hopefully I don't find anything new that would be beneficial to MSers, like another chain of stores that is located in almost 10 states that has a sign posted next to gift cards saying you can purchase $5,000 per day, wait a second, that sounds familiar....
At least you're catching on since both of those points are actually spot on. Folks shouldn't really post without anything new to share and if there's something super new/lucrative, still don't post because it'll be killed.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:41 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
I'm really despising this 24 hr rolling window policy right about now 2 days in a row CBed by the register :/

just let me get my $5k in a day already CVS
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by newuser0
It's getting harder to get more than $1K at a time in my local CVS. I only have one CVS here in my town.

Today, Store Manager was the counter, and I went to him with 4 OV. He said, I can do only 1K. I said ok.

Then total was $1k +9.xx fees. I asked him to split the transaction, with $1K on AGC and rest on a cc. He is like " I am the store Manager, I will NOT Split the transaction, you have to swipe all on one shot", Was too rude IMO.
What can I do if he is the store manager? But any way, ended up using BC card finally.
As someone mentioned before, next time just swipe your Amex GC. The machine will automatically pull the balance from the card. No need to tell them you are splitting transaction when using a full Amex GC balance.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FTRox87
I'm really despising this 24 hr rolling window policy right about now 2 days in a row CBed by the register :/

You do know that the time of purchase is printed on your receipt, right?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87

Look at your receipt, it will print the time it was completed. Do the math and go a few minutes after 24 hours to make your next purchase. Inconvenient at the start for me, but I successfully planned my purchases after finding out they enforced the 24 hour rule.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Stoughton
You do know that the time of purchase is printed on your receipt, right?
Sure, but it's easier if you're coming home from work to purchase at around the same time every day. I guess you could continue to roll the clock by 5-minute increments and then eventually have a reset day every month, but that would require some discipline.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Sure, but it's easier if you're coming home from work to purchase at around the same time every day. I guess you could continue to roll the clock by 5-minute increments and then eventually have a reset day every month, but that would require some discipline.
Yea I have gotten bitten by this recently too. Since I don't always go to work and get off at the exact same min, it turns numbers around. I've started to think that I should alternate buying mornings/evenings when I know I will be doing 2 days in a row.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
As someone mentioned before, next time just swipe your Amex GC. The machine will automatically pull the balance from the card. No need to tell them you are splitting transaction when using a full Amex GC balance.

This is actually not true everywhere. In my area, CVS does not autodetect prepaid balances. It depends highly on 1. your location, 2. the store you are using, and 3. the card you are using. Just because it works for you doesnt mean it will work everywhere.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:30 pm

I had to kill five minutes in the parking lot just last night. OH THE HUMANITY.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
This is actually not true everywhere. In my area, CVS does not autodetect prepaid balances. It depends highly on 1. your location, 2. the store you are using, and 3. the card you are using. Just because it works for you doesnt mean it will work everywhere.
From talking to a lot of other people throughout this website, it's common in a lot of places. Sorry to hear that it hasn't work in your area. Also, I only mentioned Amex GCs. I can't speak for other cards.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:43 pm

Hope this is a unfounded rumor but I would be remiss if I didn't report it here. I spoke with a CVS cashier today and she told me that sometime in July they would no longer accept credit for ANY prepaids including the OVs. I asked if there was any memo but she said she only heard from a coworker. I'm planning on going again tomorrow morning and will ask a few more questions. I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited by ParkALot; Jun 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.