Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
It is still in the wiki and has been discussed within the past few days
It was added to the wiki AFTER my post.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by romeogg
Yes, I added it (after romeogg's post) because it had been discussed a few times very recently, and I ran into it a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
fair enough, but if you had taken a couple minutes to read back a couple pages you would have found your answer as it has been discussed numerous times rather recently
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by healthnut
I've found that some stores automatically ask for ID when I show them the OV cards (or a card), regardless if the computer prompts them to or not. So with that, I assume that those employees don't know that the ID limit >$999. If they are scanning it when you only purchase $500, that is another issue.
The manager might have told all the employee's that any OV cards or VGC must ask for ID.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Tried to liquidate 8 AMEX gift cards into two OV cards today at CVS, and found out that there is a maximum limit of 7 swipes per transaction. Beyond that, the system does not even allow cash to cover the remaining balance. The manager came and informed me no gift card allowed to buy OV and void the whole transaction. I remember there was info for number of swaps per transaction in the old wiki page. This is useful information. Now I have to wait for AMEX to release the hold.
This is why all noobs should read this thread and it been mentioned at least 50 times..
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is why all noobs should read this thread and it been mentioned at least 50 times..
Let's be realistic. How many people including MS veterans read 10,000 posts in this thread several times? Even search failed because of too many bogus hits. There is a reason why we have a wiki page.

Last edited by romeogg; Jun 9, 2014 at 5:45 am
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
fair enough, but if you had taken a couple minutes to read back a couple pages you would have found your answer as it has been discussed numerous times rather recently
My original post was a data point and a request for wiki enhancement (as I did not have permission to edit the wiki). I did not ask a question and hence not looking for an answer.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: Several dozen
All the auditors among us raise your hands.

...Let's be realistic. How many people including MS veterans read 10,000 posts in this thread several times?...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by esw30
I have gotten that response too in some stores, and been able to use them in other stores the same day. At least for the moment seems to be variable. And I always try to slip it by without them seeing the card by just swiping and saying "the last 4 on this one are..." Sometimes it works, sometimes they still ask to see it.
What do you accomplish by using a gift card to buy another gift card?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by viking737
What do you accomplish by using a gift card to buy another gift card?
negative cost MS (aside from time) if your gcs are purchased through a portal
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:17 am

ID check system down right now for the past hour in NY. Need to get my MS done before lunch is over!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: UR, MR, United, SPG
Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
ID check system down right now for the past hour in NY. Need to get my MS done before lunch is over!
Ah I assume that's why I was only able to purchase 1 OVGC this morning (around 9:45 ET). After scanning the first card cashier tried to scan my ID and she said a "Transaction not valid" message popped up on her screen. Was able to purchase the first OVGC which did not require ID scan.

Also, I'm down in NC.

Last edited by SumGai88; Jun 9, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
In my favorite CVS, the ID scan displayed a warning message like 'This product cannot be sold at this moment, please cancel the transaction'. The store manager mentioned that there is a new memo and he has to pull out many GCs including OV out of the shelf... not sure if he is trying to make it up or... I don't see the memo... Scary
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by slickjolly
I went to my local CVS yesterday for the first time to purchase OV with my Amex GC after using WG and RA recently. The CVS cashier made me split the transaction for two OV and the card machine made me hand her the card! A little awkward because as we know, the Amex GC has "Gift Card" in big letters. She didn't give me any issues, but was nothing like WG or RA where I just swipe and go.
The next time this happens, just read the last 4 digits from your credit card instead of handing it over. Many CSRs won't care. However, if they still require looking at it then you are SOL anyways.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by SumGai88
Ah I assume that's why I was only able to purchase 1 OVGC this morning (around 9:45 ET). After scanning the first card cashier tried to scan my ID and she said a "Transaction not valid" message popped up on her screen. Was able to purchase the first OVGC which did not required ID scan.

Also, I'm down in NC.
Same thing happened to me this morning. Any other similar reports? Or better yet: any other reports that this glitch is over?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.