Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by ParkALot
Hope this is a unfounded rumor but I would be remiss if I didn't report it here. I spoke with a CVS cashier today and she told me that sometime in July they would no longer accept debit for ANY prepaids including the OVs. I asked if there was any memo but she said she only heard from a coworker. I'm planning on going again tomorrow morning and will ask a few more questions. I'll keep everyone posted.
At least they will still allow credit.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:55 pm

Probably off topic. I went to my local CVS in Rosemead, CA. All the credit card machines were down. They were doing some kind of update. I asked them when they will be back on. The cashier said,"not tonight, probably tomorrow" The cashier was talking to another cashier about it. Saying that they are doing a few stores at a time.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
At least they will still allow credit.
Sorry, I meant credit. They weren't going to allow credit.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:10 pm

I bought 5 OVs today and the cashier asked if I was sure I didn't want anymore. LOL
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
From talking to a lot of other people throughout this website, it's common in a lot of places. Sorry to hear that it hasn't work in your area. Also, I only mentioned Amex GCs. I can't speak for other cards.
Ive only tried amex gcs, except for some staples visas, but Ive tried muliple varieties of the amex gcs and none of them work where I am. From what Ive read it seems about 95% of CVS autodetects amex gcs, but the rest do not, so definitely dont assume that everyone has that ability There are other stores nearby that work, but CVS would be the most beneficial
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Ive only tried amex gcs, except for some staples visas, but Ive tried muliple varieties of the amex gcs and none of them work where I am. From what Ive read it seems about 95% of CVS autodetects amex gcs, but the rest do not, so definitely dont assume that everyone has that ability There are other stores nearby that work, but CVS would be the most beneficial
Well if it's works in 95% of CVS's, that's a safe assumption to make to someone. :-) True that things aren't always the same for everyone but if it works more often than not, that's all the more reason to suggest it to a person. Some people really don't know so never try. I know that I didn't until someone on here told me.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Well if it's works in 95% of CVS's, that's a safe assumption to make to someone. :-) True that things aren't always the same for everyone but if it works more often than not, that's all the more reason to suggest it to a person. Some people really don't know so never try. I know that I didn't until someone on here told me.
Id rather be correct 100% of the time than 95% of the time, but thats just me...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:56 pm

Id rather be correct 100% of the time than 95% of the time, but thats just me...
Then it must be very hard to make any statements, since most real-world things have exceptions.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:46 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
btw the worst part about the DL scan/daily limit is that once your ID is scanned, no matter what happens to that transaction, your quota gets used up since the check mechanism is not smart/programmed well enough to be able to backtrack.

for example, if the transaction fails/is incomplete/voided, or there are activation errors so you get a refund, or like the poster above they are having issues with the CC reader/machine being down thus having to cancel the whole thing -- the loaded amount of GCs STiLL counts against your rolling 24 hr limit even if you walk out with no GCs :/
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:58 am

I'm glad CVS stopped selling VRs with CCs.

It made me stop being so lazy with MSing. I've MSed more in the last month with non VR methods than I did while it was "easy." Takes longer, but I feel as if I'm actually earning it
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I understand though what you were trying to get out. If it makes you feel better, I should have started that many CVS card readers will automatically take the balance of the card off. Try this first before telling the cashier how much. Btw have you tried this with Amex GCs recently? What might not have worked 3 months ago may work now.

Originally Posted by silver6054
Then it must be very hard to make any statements, since most real-world things have exceptions.
^
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nuclfusion

It made me stop being so lazy with MSing. I've MSed more in the last month with non VR methods than I did while it was "easy." Takes longer, but I feel as if I'm actually earning it
Me too. It's like mowing the lawn, once you get over the first pull, it's ok.
Having said that, i haven't mowed a lawn in 30+ years, but I do like MSing.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:10 am

I got almost got a nice cashier in trouble yesterday. I tend to go to different stores to buy 2 OVs and use the Serve/Isis deal. It takes a while but it's a good way to get $50 free. Basically, you do 5-6 $1 splits with Serve/Isis and then pay the balance with your normal credit card. Then once your Isis credit posts, you actually got the OV for fee-free. Nonetheless, another manager was standing nearby while I was doing it and told me that they can't do split transactions like that since the system requires ID on over $1k purchases. Too many issues with fraud. I tried to explain that I only did it for the promotion but she said they can't do it. I really hope that the cashier that was helping me didn't get in trouble later or else he won't help me again.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by nuclfusion

Ummm, what? You are happy that you now have to do more work?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:15 am

Maybe it is just the CVS locations in my area, but has anyone else noticed that the PayPal cards are no longer being sold? I went to several locations yesterday, and no luck. Rite Aid came to the rescue, though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.