Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Maybe you are making a mistake at the cashier. PM me your cc number, and we'll find out if that happens when I buy GCs online
PM sent. Also included my online account username and password so you can see if and when your purchase appears.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by silver6054
PM sent. Also included my online account username and password so you can see if and when your purchase appears.
I'll let you know....
Old May 27, 2014, 3:22 pm

To OV or not

I've read through the tread from late April until today and still not sure that CVS is going to let me pick up a OV with my miles cc. I did walk over to a near by CVS on Thursday last week and the clerk there did say they got an email regarding the OV and how when a customer would try to use a cc it would alert them on the register. They would accept a debit card. Has anyone tried recently to use their miles cc?
Old May 27, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TonyMnLA
I've read through the tread from late April until today and still not sure that CVS is going to let me pick up a OV with my miles cc. I did walk over to a near by CVS on Thursday last week and the clerk there did say they got an email regarding the OV and how when a customer would try to use a cc it would alert them on the register. They would accept a debit card. Has anyone tried recently to use their miles cc?
Pretty much everyone that has written on this thread since April lol.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Pretty much everyone that has written on this thread since April lol.
I think he meant late MAY.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trippinbilly
I was making a point that he/she has been reading since April and that these have been available nonstop since April. If there was an issue buying OVs nationwide, then this thread would be buzzing with it. If he has read then he knows many cashiers confuse OVs with Vanilla Reloads and MyVanillaDebit. These are hard coded in the system to not allow credit cards. Also, some stores do have rules in place b/c of whatever. Just go to a new store.

Last edited by cdancer20; May 27, 2014 at 7:12 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 3:39 pm

Same thing. If there was an issue buying OVs nationwide, then this thread would be buzzing with it. If he has read then he knows many cashiers confuse OVs with OneVanilla and MyVanillaDebit. These are hard coded in the system to not allow credit cards. Also, some stores do have rules in place b/c of whatever. Just go to a new store.
Oh, I agree fully. I've gotten all the same lines. My point was that there is a lot of information in just the past week, let alone going back to April.
Give it a shot and kindly leave if it's a problem.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:42 pm

.... let alone going back to April.
Give it a shot and kindly leave if it's a problem.
That's what I did last week, just walked out.

Thankfully there are many CVS's around town.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Data Point: I give my username & pw to the cashier so they can be sure they process it correctly as well.

Certainly must have been May, and paying attention to the tires on something.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:01 pm

If he has read then he knows many cashiers confuse OVs with OneVanilla and MyVanillaDebit.
Now I feel like a real newbie. I too confuse OV with OneVanilla.....
Old May 27, 2014, 7:12 pm

Now I feel like a real newbie. I too confuse OV with OneVanilla.....
oops. Typo. Thanks for pointing it out. I updated my original msg to say Vanilla Reloads
Old May 27, 2014, 8:07 pm

Wink

oops. Typo. Thanks for pointing it out. I updated my original msg to say Vanilla Reloads
Ya, I wasn't going to be harsh with my response. My momma taught me better.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:11 pm

Ya, I wasn't going to be harsh with my response. My momma taught me better.
That is such a great set up for lines about what your momma taught me/assorted others etc, but I will resist. Sort of.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: Several dozen
Actually there are 4 CVSs in my burg. All have a completely different policy for these cards:

#1 - yes, $1k max
#2 - yes, $2k max
#3 - yes, $5k max
#4 - no, cash only

That's what I did last week, just walked out.

Thankfully there are many CVS's around town.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Actually there are 4 CVSs in my burg. All have a completely different policy for these cards:

#1 - yes, $1k max
#2 - yes, $2k max
#3 - yes, $5k max
#4 - no, cash only
Similar differences in my area too. Also major differences in these stores accepting different cc's to split the payment (AGCs)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.