Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by concordian
Once I had a CVS employee pull a fast one on me by giving a non-activated card and putting activated card inside.
Really? That is super sneaky. I would have asked for that person to be fired immediately.

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
I wonder if the higher limits are a major factor to their absence...
No doubt about it...
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been buying Vanilla Visas at CVS using a hotel card and an AA card. Things are going smoothly, more or less, but my AA card has a $4,000 limit so I have to pay some of it off before I can buy the next round of GCs. I'm aiming for the $100 flight credit for $30,000 in purchases in one calendar year -- I figure that makes the per-mile cost somewhat less than $0.01/mile.

Recently Citi upped the credit limit on my oldest card (which doesn't offer this bonus). Does this happen often and does anyone know how I can trigger it on this card? It would make things somewhat easier.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
I have cleaned my store out within 3 days.

I wonder if the higher limits are a major factor to their absence...
That would be my guess. I've also noticed the Visa gift cards thinning out in my area.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: United (way back of the plane)
first time poster, long time lurker. new to the VR churn since I have some travel goals in mind.

thought I'd share my funny purchase last night at CVS. i have a friend from college coming in for the weekend. our favorite beer in college was keystone light.

and

my wife thinks she may be expecting our second little one.

and

I just signed up and received my wife's BB card that needs some vanilla worms before the end of the month

so... last night, after little one number 1 went to bed, I went to CVS and bought a 30 of keystone light, a pregnancy test, and $2K in beans.

i'll say, that's the most interesting purchase i've ever made at a CVS. lots and lots of beans available at my closest CVS, and staff that don't even blink an eye at 2K or 2.5K transactions.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by lgxg
first time poster, long time lurker. new to the VR churn since I have some travel goals in mind.

thought I'd share my funny purchase last night at CVS. i have a friend from college coming in for the weekend. our favorite beer in college was keystone light.

and

my wife thinks she may be expecting our second little one.

and

I just signed up and received my wife's BB card that needs some vanilla worms before the end of the month

so... last night, after little one number 1 went to bed, I went to CVS and bought a 30 of keystone light, a pregnancy test, and $2K in beans.

i'll say, that's the most interesting purchase i've ever made at a CVS. lots and lots of beans available at my closest CVS, and staff that don't even blink an eye at 2K or 2.5K transactions.
Now is that 30 cases of Keystone Light or just a 30 pack? CVS here had Keystone on sale for $11.99/case. Not a bad brew for the price. Our local redneck bar has more Keystone sitting on the bar than everything else, combined. On the VR front, nice to beable to buy more than 1K at a time. That local CVS mentioned with the Keystone special use to allow 5K but now just 1K. (But all the Keystone ya care to buy.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: United (way back of the plane)
Originally Posted by cvasara
Now is that 30 cases of Keystone Light or just a 30 pack? CVS here had Keystone on sale for $11.99/case. Not a bad brew for the price. Our local redneck bar has more Keystone sitting on the bar than everything else, combined. On the VR front, nice to beable to buy more than 1K at a time. That local CVS mentioned with the Keystone special use to allow 5K but now just 1K. (But all the Keystone ya care to buy.
HAH! A real churner/MSer would have bought 30, 30packs of KL. Especially at that price. Beer prices have gone up significantly since I was in college. Better for my beer guy i suppose.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by lgxg
HAH! A real churner/MSer would have bought 30, 30packs of KL. Especially at that price. Beer prices have gone up significantly since I was in college. Better for my beer guy i suppose.
Hmmm, well no actually if you bought 30 cases, then the store manager would need to see your ID (and not to see if you are over 21) and then end up pulling them from the shelves because "Well there's been fraud sir--someone in another store used a fake CC to buy these) and we have had to pull them" and then you would get shut down by Chase because they know you are only buying the beer to get miles... not to drink and enjoy it (because if you were really buying good beer to drink and enjoy you would have sought out THIS or THIS or even THIS!)
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Hmmm, well no actually if you bought 30 cases, then the store manager would need to see your ID (and not to see if you are over 21) and then end up pulling them from the shelves because "Well there's been fraud sir--someone in another store used a fake CC to buy these) and we have had to pull them" and then you would get shut down by Chase because they know you are only buying the beer to get miles... not to drink and enjoy it (because if you were really buying good beer to drink and enjoy you would have sought out THIS or THIS or even THIS!)
Well, Like I said, the beer of choice around these parts IS Keystone Light. It's really just Coors Light, (The Silver Bullet), coming down the same line in a different can. Never heard of those other brew you linked to, but that last one looks pretty good. (Only about 390 miles or so for 30 cases.) Gotta supplement that with those VRs.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Well, Like I said, the beer of choice around these parts IS Keystone Light. It's really just Coors Light, (The Silver Bullet), coming down the same line in a different can. Never heard of those other brew you linked to, but that last one looks pretty good. (Only about 390 miles or so for 30 cases.) Gotta supplement that with those VRs.
wow your wife must be alot more understanding than mine, i bring home 2 each 30packs of miller lite and she's like what are you going to do with all that beer. my only answer is a dumbfounded " ah drink it"
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Poker nite!!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:44 pm

Just went to three of my reliable CVS stores (Newton, suburb of Boston). All out of VRs. I asked at each one, but the first two were clueless, they were just getting a truck shipment and didn't know if the cards would be in there.

The third said a few days ago they were told to pull them from the shelves as there was an activation problem with the latest stock. He was the only one who knew what VRs were, but if this was widespread I would thought it would be posted here already. Anyone heard similar things?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by silver6054
Just went to three of my reliable CVS stores (Newton, suburb of Boston). All out of VRs. I asked at each one, but the first two were clueless, they were just getting a truck shipment and didn't know if the cards would be in there.

The third said a few days ago they were told to pull them from the shelves as there was an activation problem with the latest stock. He was the only one who knew what VRs were, but if this was widespread I would thought it would be posted here already. Anyone heard similar things?
I have had mixed results finding VRs lately as well and I always ask. Turns out a manager is called out each time as the cashier is too busy or clueless about what I am asking for.
1.One seemed to play dumb and react as if it was weird that there weren't any VRs available on the rack. He looked all over the store, then the computer and just kinda gave up.
2. One pointed me to a hook behind the registers and all went smoothly.
3. And one tonight went into the back and retrieved a new pack. He then placed them on a hook on the customer side of the register. Nice!

I have not heard about the activation issues though.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silver6054

thats actually good news in a way. If the last shipment had a problem, that could have prompted all managers to hold or pull them. Therefore if this is true, we should eventually see new stock soon!

I live in the north of Boston and they have been out too... well, some have them but I am done for the month anyway. For now.

I was in one store that had 3... I bought two and then thought of the poster last week who said he was concerned when there was but one lone VR on the rack and wondered if it was fake lol
So there is a CVS out there with one on the rack now!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

see if you can find this one too...

http://lagunitas.com/#
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Frustration yesterday. Found 10. At checkout all 10 went through until card payment when after a long delay a screen prompt came up for communication error and instructions for the teller to cancel all the cards. She did so. I then asked her if she could try again, but just 1 first. It went through.
OK. So let's try the rest. However this triggers the 'exceeds $5k in 24hrs message as even though the prior purchases was voided it doesn't hit the Db that records DL info'. She calls the manager over who says that when this happens the cards are dead. I've experienced otherwise so said 'let me try to load the 1 card that went through'. He was right it error-ed out at vanilla reload for 'never activated by store' despite me having a receipt showing activation. Showed it to the manager telling him he was right and he processed a refund (which they normally never do for a VR).

Bollks! 10 cards down the drain and blocked for 24hrs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.