Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by pennstate94
This was the case earlier today at my local CVS as well.
It seems to me the ones I frequent have this banner at the top of the gift card center since the VRs changed.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by rismoney
how do you figure?
with a 5x card, buy a $500 $4.95 VGC. put pin on it.
Buy a $4.95 VR.
$9.90 spent - rewards earned, $25-9.90 = $14.10

question is do they check ID and ask to see VGC to compare name on debit transactions.
Besides your math being off by a buck or so, this is a very specific case that requires 1. you have a 5x card, and 2. you have no other cash out methods whatsoever. Most people are not in that same situation. It requires a lot more work too, given that you now have to take an additional step. But if it works for you, why do you care what other people thing. Keep doing it and be happy.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:51 am

how do you figure?
with a 5x card, buy a $500 $4.95 VGC. put pin on it.
Buy a $4.95 VR.
$9.90 spent - rewards earned, $25-9.90 = $14.10

question is do they check ID and ask to see VGC to compare name on debit transactions.
Um, you can't buy VR with GC. At least no where that I've found.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:09 pm

Um, you can't buy VR with GC. At least no where that I've found.
you have tried as a debit transaction? what happened?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
VRs at where I live are all cash only as well. No "debit or cash." Good old "cash or out"
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
you have tried as a debit transaction? what happened?
Doesn't work. You get alternate tender required.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:13 pm

Since VGCs cannot be loaded at WM, I don't want to go to CVS any more.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:43 pm

Well this party sure died.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Stopped off at a CVS after making a MO deposit and was picking up 2 more OVs when it looked like there might be a problem when closing the transaction. Everything was going well. Handed over the OV's, handed over the ID and the CC and when the clerk was swiping for the payment alarms went off. I immediately tried to think 'did I hit my limit on the card?'. I purchased 2 OV's earlier and thought maybe they flagged my ID and it went through the whole CVS network!

The clerk stepped over to the phone and called up someone....I could see what she was doing.

What seemed like eons and feeling the line of customers growing behind me she came back and said...."see what you did" then smiled.

Turns out it was my CC company that thought it was an unauthorized transaction. I spoke with the CC rep and everything was fine.

*phew*

International Incident Averted!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Stopped off at a CVS after making a MO deposit and was picking up 2 more OVs when it looked like there might be a problem when closing the transaction. Everything was going well. Handed over the OV's, handed over the ID and the CC and when the clerk was swiping for the payment alarms went off. I immediately tried to think 'did I hit my limit on the card?'. I purchased 2 OV's earlier and thought maybe they flagged my ID and it went through the whole CVS network!

The clerk stepped over to the phone and called up someone....I could see what she was doing.

What seemed like eons and feeling the line of customers growing behind me she came back and said...."see what you did" then smiled.

Turns out it was my CC company that thought it was an unauthorized transaction. I spoke with the CC rep and everything was fine.

*phew*

International Incident Averted!
Today a CVS cashier "wasn't comfortable" (?!) scanning my ID and wanted to do 4 separate transactions--one for each OV. I insisted a couple of times but relented and said I'll just get two OVs because I don't want a pocket full of receipts. The second one got a fraud alert and while I cleared it up on the phone, the second transaction wouldn't go through immediately so I ended up with just one card. The lady said she'd scan my ID next time. Jeez.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
Today a CVS cashier "wasn't comfortable" (?!) scanning my ID and wanted to do 4 separate transactions--one for each OV. I insisted a couple of times but relented and said I'll just get two OVs because I don't want a pocket full of receipts. The second one got a fraud alert and while I cleared it up on the phone, the second transaction wouldn't go through immediately so I ended up with just one card. The lady said she'd scan my ID next time. Jeez.
I love my CVS. Every time I walk in there they know EXACTLY what I'm getting. Don't even have to say anything and no one cares in the least.

Last edited by MileageAddict; Jun 23, 2014 at 9:34 pm Reason: obscenity removed
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by toxicity
God damn I love my CVS. Every time I walk in there they know EXACTLY what I'm getting. Don't even have to say anything and no one cares in the least.
I've known this particular cashier for years (I'd gone into the same place when I was in college) and the only MSing I've done there has been small denomination AGCs. But now I have a Citi Exec to spend on. It was just a new thing for her.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:54 am

About to plan a churn of a few cards since I took a break for the last year or so.

Anyone have any favorite cards for CVS? Doesn't seem like many offer pharmacy bonus, except the random Freedom category.

And I've found a MO sweet spot, so my CVS still has a special place in my heart.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A couple cashiers at my local CVS know I'd come in regularly to buy cards... first the VR when you could still get them with a CC, and then the VGCs until WM killed those. Unfortunately nothing left to go there for, since all GCs are vanilla/incomm.

Suppose I can do the MO thing, but its pretty limited in my area with who accepts debit cards.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by cb11
About to plan a churn of a few cards since I took a break for the last year or so.

Anyone have any favorite cards for CVS? Doesn't seem like many offer pharmacy bonus, except the random Freedom category.

And I've found a MO sweet spot, so my CVS still has a special place in my heart.
how did you find a MO spot before you picked the gift card!? do you know what even works over there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.