Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by mjcohen82182
I went to CVS this morning and bought 3500 of OVCs and the receipt now says "Prepaid Card Activation Will Occur Within 24 Hours". Called the # on the back and they are not activated immediately like usual. Definitely was not like this on Thurs when I bought some and those were immediately activated
The same, about the same time.

One card is accessible via the site, another - not.
Ruined my morning operation
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:02 pm

All of mine activated normally this afternoon. It was probably just intermittent incomm network issues earlier.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by pier11

So I purchased at 7:41AM, 4 of the 7 activated at 9:06AM and the other 3 have yet to activate. All purchased on the same receipt. I called INCOMM and they opened a ticket for me.

The only weird thing about it is the 3 that did not activate I checked online before 9:06 and the 4 that did activate I never bothered to call or check online. Probably just coincidence. Those 3 were also the last 3 scanned on the receipt.

I just don't want this to ruin my relationship with this CVS, because I can easily buy 5k worth without them flinching.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:20 pm

So I purchased at 7:41AM, 4 of the 7 activated at 9:06AM and the other 3 have yet to activate. All purchased on the same receipt. I called INCOMM and they opened a ticket for me.

The only weird thing about it is the 3 that did not activate I checked online before 9:06 and the 4 that did activate I never bothered to call or check online. Probably just coincidence. Those 3 were also the last 3 scanned on the receipt.

I just don't want this to ruin my relationship with this CVS, because I can easily buy 5k worth without them flinching.
Good lord why would you call Incomm instead of waiting a day.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by toxicity
Good lord why would you call Incomm instead of waiting a day.
Why would 4 out of 7 be active and the last 3 not?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:26 pm

There is no good reason. That's why you have an ounce of patience and wait a little before drawing attention to yourself buying $3,500 worth of gift cards that their target consumer would not ever dream of doing. [not to mention the attention that it casts on your cvs relationship]
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
The "Uninformed"

I walked over to a local CVS at lunch to pick up 2 OVs and the guy behind the counter said 'Cash Only'. I asked if he was certain and he replied this is the store policy. I asked if we could just try and he said NO.

I didn't push it and walked out. Sadly if this is the case my lunch time walk will have to be in a different direction as that one had a purpose!

I hate leaving empty handed.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I had 2 out of 4 activate immediately and the other 2 take about 12 hours. This was about 2 weeks ago. Several other people and I posted about it somewhere in this forum. AFAIK no one called, and it all worked out. I bought MOs successfully the next day.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)

Activated 04:17 PM
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:58 pm

CVS

Toxiccity is correct, the cardinal rule, never call!! Just wait. Why would anyone buy all these OV and then immediately run to cash out with MO/ATM. I always wait at least 3 days before doing anything with them... This hobby requires lots of patience. They have all activated in time.. Also just because 1 CVS states Cash Only... doesn't mean anything. Either go to another store, or show up at same store.. different time and the other clerk will probably do it. I speak from experience. It's probably just that particular manager/clerk wanting to give you hard time.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
Toxiccity is correct, the cardinal rule, never call!! Just wait. Why would anyone buy all these OV and then immediately run to cash out with MO/ATM. I always wait at least 3 days before doing anything with them... This hobby requires lots of patience. They have all activated in time.. Also just because 1 CVS states Cash Only... doesn't mean anything. Either go to another store, or show up at same store.. different time and the other clerk will probably do it. I speak from experience. It's probably just that particular manager/clerk wanting to give you hard time.
Agree. the first ever OV i wanted to buy at CVS, I was told cash only and i was told about a new memo stating that, that was the only time i wasn't able to buy OV at that store with CC, because i went at different times and never dealt with that clerk again.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
There is too much fraud and potential for fraud imo to wait more than 3 minutes to dump these prepaid GC. I had one "disappear" early in the game, and swore off for awhile, but upon reentry I wouldn't count on getting your money back without paying a serious toll in stress and BS.

Does quick cash out eliminate risk? Most of it I think. I am heading to Socal, home of the Hemet Henchman, so I will be even quicker to churn.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
The "Uninformed"

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Agree. the first ever OV i wanted to buy at CVS, I was told cash only and i was told about a new memo stating that, that was the only time i wasn't able to buy OV at that store with CC, because i went at different times and never dealt with that clerk again.
That was certainly the case today for me. The guy/clerk was an assistant manager who was called to run a register due to the queue. I had seen him once before but never dealt with him. I didn't want to push the guy so I just left.

I'll give that store another shot, but wait a while.

I suspect they aren't happy with having to only sell OV's, I don't even buy a pack of gum.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:55 pm

Activated 04:17 PM
Same here, I called to close out my ticket with INCOMM. I will show a little more patience if this ever happens again.

But I honestly think INCOMM could care less, if they cared what we were doing they could easily stop this by increasing fees which would cause CVS and all other stores to go Cash Only. But they have to be making some money or this wouldn't continue.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by member7777
There is too much fraud and potential for fraud imo to wait more than 3 minutes to dump these prepaid GC. I had one "disappear" early in the game, and swore off for awhile, but upon reentry I wouldn't count on getting your money back without paying a serious toll in stress and BS.

Does quick cash out eliminate risk? Most of it I think. I am heading to Socal, home of the Hemet Henchman, so I will be even quicker to churn.
Agree on the timing. I buy them and usually within 5-10 mins they're cashed out. Don't want to risk someone fraudulently using the card numbers or worst just losing the card haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.