Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:09 am

Question is ....

Is it fair to "not share" the deal by not spoon feeding / circles + arrows / pictures / etc knowing full well all the details are available in the forum if someone takes the time to read?

You can tell people don't even bother reading a couple pages back with the repeat questions. And those are the people who are asking, multiply by your lurker factor.

How "fair" is it to the community to explicitly provide instructions likely resulting in quantity spikes which directionally can not help the aggregate community cause?

Is it too much to ask to set the filter at "read the thread"? I think it is fair to expect someone to invest the slightest amount of time to figure it out. They'll be better off for it. And it will keep riff raff out. Its not like the information isn't available, it is. Of course this won't stop the CC pimps from pushing new "solutions" to help you make that spend requirement.

It is not going to be difficult for CVS to add one more SKU to the banned list, they just went through the exercise and unless I'm missing something, the product is question is effectively the same as the banned ones in regards to liability/ cc fee/ supplier / etc, except a dollar in price. So how about we just let this lay and stop talking about it? Yes there are other alternatives, but continuing to explicitly lead the flock around isn't helping open up new ones faster than old ones are getting closed. Eventually the MS stool runs out of time/cost effective legs to stand on.

Last edited by zozeppelin; Apr 4, 2014 at 11:16 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:09 am

CVS master thread

As a datapoint, the NJ area I'm at is 100% completely cash only. Went to 5 different CVS.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
...It is not going to be difficult for CVS to add one more SKU to the banned list, they just went through the exercise and unless I'm missing something, the product is question is effectively the same as the banned ones in regards to liability/ cc fee/ supplier / etc, except a dollar in price. So how about we just let this lay and stop talking about it? Yes there are other alternatives, but continuing to explicitly lead the flock around isn't helping open up new ones faster than old ones are getting closed. Eventually the MS stool runs out of time/cost effective legs to stand on.
No, it's not the same. VRs are a specific small market -- GCs are a much larger market with lots of competition. In addition, CVS seems to have made VRs cash-only because a change in their cost made the deal untenable. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with increased volume.

Your suggestions are at base selfish. I'm going to keep helping people. Sorry.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Question is ....

Is it fair to "not share" the deal by not spoon feeding / circles + arrows / pictures / etc knowing full well all the details are available in the forum if someone takes the time to read?

You can tell people don't even bother reading a couple pages back with the repeat questions. And those are the people who are asking, multiply by your lurker factor.

How "fair" is it to the community to explicitly provide instructions likely resulting in quantity spikes which directionally can not help the aggregate community cause?

Is it too much to ask to set the filter at "read the thread"? I think it is fair to expect someone to invest the slightest amount of time to figure it out. They'll be better off for it. And it will keep rift raft out. Its not like the information isn't available, it is. Of course this won't stop the CC pimps from pushing new "solutions" to help you make that spend requirement.

It is not going to be difficult for CVS to add one more SKU to the banned list, they just went through the exercise and unless I'm missing something, the product is question is effectively the same as the banned ones in regards to liability/ cc fee/ supplier / etc, except a dollar in price. So how about we just let this lay and stop talking about it? Yes there are other alternatives, but continuing to explicitly lead the flock around isn't helping open up new ones faster than old ones are getting closed. Eventually the MS stool runs out of time/cost effective legs to stand on.
I get tired of reading the same questions every day as well and don't think people who obviously have put in no effort and have only posted once should be given detailed instructions. That being said telling someone to read the thread isn't all that useful either. This thread has 8500+ posts in it and a lot of those posts are completely useless now. I'm still trying to figure out what my next move is in NYC with the loss of VRs, although I have a general idea of what I am going to do and I am just trying to figure out the most cost effective method.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by Red259
That being said telling someone to read the thread isn't all that useful either. This thread has 8500+ posts in it and a lot of those posts are completely useless now.
Make that 8501+
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Question is ....

Is it too much to ask to set the filter at "read the thread"? I think it is fair to expect someone to invest the slightest amount of time to figure it out. They'll be better off for it. And it will keep riff raff out. Its not like the information isn't available, it is. Of course this won't stop the CC pimps from pushing new "solutions" to help you make that spend requirement.

I can tell you have been in the game a long time..
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:44 am

Has anyone considered that maybe this was a tactic used by CVS to negotiate a lower fee from InComm? The CVS memo did give as a reason an increase in fees which made continued selling of VR via CC not worthwhile. After the dust settles and a comparison can be made between first and second quarter sales of VR, maybe InComm will be persuaded to strike a new fee arrangement which will be beneficial to both parties. Don't be surprised if the cash only policy gets reversed later in the year.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
No, it's not the same. VRs are a specific small market -- GCs are a much larger market with lots of competition. In addition, CVS seems to have made VRs cash-only because a change in their cost made the deal untenable. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with increased volume.

Your suggestions are at base selfish. I'm going to keep helping people. Sorry.
I am referring to CVS, so it is indeed the same. People who didn't have CVS are directly unaffected by the change. The affected ones are looking for alternatives. It is very convenient if the alternative is at the same store.

An influx to other stores (namely their competitors) from the sheep isn't going to help. Let alone the second step independent of where the GC is acquired. That is a social interaction bomb ready to go off.

Reasons are all speculation. Someone had a good management analogy earlier. People are told what they need to hear at times, not the truth. The end is the same. If CVS bans OV next month, doesn't mean people can say "I told you so", just doesn't look good. Nobody knows the thresholds or triggers. It could have been completely independent of volume (criminal issues or change to fee structure with Incomm). Implying someone knows is implying they have no clue. I once was told, the most important thing is knowing what you don't know.

I think we all can agree, increasing quantity is not going to help, and likely hurt. Both the red flags with the bean counters and employee interactions.

Do as you see fit. Start a blog. Buy a billboard. Go on CNN. I think the community consensus would be otherwise.

Call it what you want.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by satman40
I can tell you have been in the game a long time..
Understand: join date, post count, and epeen status badges are directionally proportional to knowledge and experience. You win.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:04 pm

The war is still going on... The lone survival - white knight - is fiercely fighting...

Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:09 pm

So nice of you to rub it in ...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Stoughton
There is no override code @ CVS
Definitely no override unfortunately. I was just at a CVS with a very willing to help manager who could do nothing to make the purchase go through...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:55 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 8:51 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Has anyone considered that maybe this was a tactic used by CVS to negotiate a lower fee from InComm? The CVS memo did give as a reason an increase in fees which made continued selling of VR via CC not worthwhile. After the dust settles and a comparison can be made between first and second quarter sales of VR, maybe InComm will be persuaded to strike a new fee arrangement which will be beneficial to both parties. Don't be surprised if the cash only policy gets reversed later in the year.
Id be very surprised to see the VRs return using CCs. If anything I wouldnt be at all surprised to see all GCs going no CC either

There were too many scams running , the main one was people called up the stores as if they were Execs with MVD or CV and got the employees to scratch off the card and tell them the pin. Or the IRS scam which went the same way but John Q public bought the VRs and sent in the info. Once the card is activated and they have the pin the $$ was in their pocket

With a reg GC you need the actual card to get the $$ off of it. I can think of a few things they can do to get them but its not as smooth and easy as the VRs were. Once the amount of fraud starts rising with the GCs they too will go ca$h only, just as it is in some supermarkets
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

A reminder that CVS is the topic of this thread, not other members, their relative newness or whether they should or should not have access as those are wider issues better discussed on separate threads.

tcook052
Manufactured Spending Forum Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.