Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by arsenalman
You hit 2M mark on AA without flying much? Wow thats impressive. I am trying all the tricks in the books and have manufactured only 100k this year. Any tips? Everything seems to be 1X (1.25X if you use SPG).
They probably had tons of CC miles earned but fell short of the 2M mark before AA plug a couple of yrs ago. So say they had 1,960,000 and were 40k short. So after the deadline what you had in your acct counted but from then onward only BIS miles would count. So that person needed to fly only 40K to reach 2M and Plat. They didnt become a Lt Plat last yr due to spending on their CC, but from flying to make up the difference

Back to our reg program
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by silver6054
Newton/Brookline/Needham are fine...
Originally Posted by jrreynolds
Strange thing happened today at my go to CVS west of Boston. They have had VR since day one and are always in stock.

They asked for my ID like they have for the past year but this time they scanned the back of it, the bar code or the image, with their cash register scanner. Transaction was no different other than that.

What gives. This appeared to be on their screen because I asked the clerk and he said ther screen told him to do it. Transaction would not go forward until scanned properly.

This sounds like trouble.
I've tried the one at Coolidge Corner (the big one, next to the movie theater) several times but have usually come up empty. The one in Chestnut Hill by Star Market is occasionally good.

West of Boston Do?

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
memo appears again
New game: Every time the memo appears, we all kick in a quarter. When we find one that was actually substantiated, that person wins the pot.

Originally Posted by craz
Back to our reg program
B*tching about how people aren't doing searches?

Mike
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:50 am

Against self-interest, but for those that live in the place God intended...

In the last few days, these Newton/Brookline CVS have been fine.

Newton Center
Chestnut Hill, by Star
Walnut St, Newton (near Washington St)
Needham St, Newton (by Marshalls)
Highland Ave, Needham (by Trader Joe's)

So now I fully expect all of those to be out, depending on how many FTs are searching.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
Not at all my post aboves yours was an OT as was the last few on the page before.People were discussing a posters comment that they made AA 2M last yr and some thought they did it via the GCs, that was possible a couple of yrs ago but not last year. I was only clearing that up

So my 'back to the reg program' meant lets not take this thread into AA land and keep it on topic of CVS

just went to 1 which was bone dry on Sun, p/u 2 the old kind, so the reason some dont have cant be that they are waiting for the new type to arrive. There were none on Sun and a couple of full rows today
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike, I get the humor but there is some truth to it. It's not about us being unhelpful or lazy but, are the newbies willing to do some labor for the fruits of manufactured spend.

I have tried teaching this art to some close family and friends (hours of researched knowledge packing in a 30min session) but they just don't seem to care about - the knowledge, labor/methods to collect GCs/beans/BBs/MVDs, effectively using cat bonuses on cc's or even how to research/book award tickets!!! They just want a J ticket for free.

Go figure.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by jrreynolds
Strange thing happened today at my go to CVS west of Boston. They have had VR since day one and are always in stock.

They asked for my ID like they have for the past year but this time they scanned the back of it, the bar code or the image, with their cash register scanner. Transaction was no different other than that.

What gives. This appeared to be on their screen because I asked the clerk and he said ther screen told him to do it. Transaction would not go forward until scanned properly.

This sounds like trouble.
CVS typically scans the back of the drivers license for buying money orders as well. I like it. It's fast and efficient, and I certainly wish Walmart would do that instead of asking the cashiers to type in all that information using their incredibly inefficient touchscreen cash register!

I was at a target store in Seattle couple weeks ago, and I wanted to buy an ice cold beer, the Sierra Nevada torpedo 22 ounce for three dollars. I didn't have my drivers license with me the first time, so the transaction could not be completed! :-(

I went back later with my drivers license, and they scanned it into the register to allow the transaction. It's a pretty cool system! We've had these barcodes on the backs of drivers license for so many years, and it's nice to see cash registers finally using them!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I agree about the IDs except in cases where you dont want them to know who you are. Some of that in stores should still be allowed to remain... Even if paying large in debit or credit
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:03 pm

I brought my passport along on my VR run this weekend just in case any Charlie employees wanted my credentials to scan. didn't happen, but still, I'd rather not let them keep a permanent copy of my license.

When playing this game, the more paranoid, the better.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by turnpike13
I brought my passport along on my VR run this weekend just in case any Charlie employees wanted my credentials to scan. didn't happen, but still, I'd rather not let them keep a permanent copy of my license.

When playing this game, the more paranoid, the better.
Sorry, but why is a passport better than a drivers license? Is it because your address is on the license but not the passport?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by dangw20
Sorry, but why is a passport better than a drivers license? Is it because your address is on the license but not the passport?
No address on a passport and they are not set up to scan passports like some CVS are set up to scan licenses.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by turnpike13
No address on a passport and they are not set up to scan passports like some CVS are set up to scan licenses.
^

I like it. Keep us informed of what happens when you are finally asked for it.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:49 pm

had the same experience others have had with scanning the license. like others have posted, only happened on the 2nd card. tried multiple runs today and only happened on one run though.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:06 pm

CVS now $1k/day?

I'm not huge into doing manufacturing spend (just enough for the occasional minimum spends ) so I'd average 1 a month (if even) or one every 2-3 months (even though I could buy many times over).

I was in west of Boston the other day and decided to get 2 at a CVS I haven't been before (someone bought out the lot at my local Store, so i figured i get 2 since i was there). The cashier seems familiar with the transactions and did not even ask for ID, but has a curiosity about them. i only bought 2, but that's high enough for him to nonchalantly mention an Asian guy that goes there regularly and bought like "30+ of them each time.". He wasn't mean about it, but definitely has a questionable and somewhat of a disapproving tone/suspicion that something was up or doesn't sound right.

I was surprised by the number too and thought, gee, some people really decide to milk it that way? Is it really necessary to buy that many each time? *sigh* It's no wonder these limits are in place...
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:09 pm

This reminds me of MM's signature! For many people (most of those on myfico for example), any MF is bad, evil, responsible for decreased bonuses, higher APR and global warming. So you getting 2 VR is really no different from the other guy buying 30. If the clerk wasn't exaggerating
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
i only bought 2, but that's high enough for him to nonchalantly mention an Asian guy that goes there regularly and bought like "30+ of them each time.". He wasn't mean about it, but definitely has a questionable and somewhat of a disapproving tone/suspicion that something was up or doesn't sound right.
Unless he's using GC for those purchases.... there is no way a CC company will let a CC run 15 $1k+ transactions back to back to back.

So I dont know what to think/say about that.

Guys the this kills it for everyone. Probably follows the blogs/forums just enough be dangerous and never contributes a thing to the cause.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.