Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:13 am

Scan back of License?

Strange thing happened today at my go to CVS west of Boston. They have had VR since day one and are always in stock.

They asked for my ID like they have for the past year but this time they scanned the back of it, the bar code or the image, with their cash register scanner. Transaction was no different other than that.

What gives. This appeared to be on their screen because I asked the clerk and he said ther screen told him to do it. Transaction would not go forward until scanned properly.

This sounds like trouble.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by jrreynolds
Strange thing happened today at my go to CVS west of Boston. They have had VR since day one and are always in stock.

They asked for my ID like they have for the past year but this time they scanned the back of it, the bar code or the image, with their cash register scanner. Transaction was no different other than that.

What gives. This appeared to be on their screen because I asked the clerk and he said ther screen told him to do it. Transaction would not go forward until scanned properly.

Why? Unless you are a trouble maker.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by jrreynolds

How much was the VR purchase? A few posts back the scanning thing was also noted.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:20 pm

Easy enough to get around the scanning issue. I'll bring my Passport along with me on my next CharlieVictorSierra run.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
One of my regular CVS just turned cash only. The friendly cashier mentioned some corporate memo regarding cash only..
Not sure how true is that as I was able to buy VR from another CVS with a CC..

One thing for sure, the opportunities are becoming less and less..
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
One of my regular CVS just turned cash only. The friendly cashier mentioned some corporate memo regarding cash only..

memo appears again
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iqbalt80

What did you expect? Once they start seeing how their sales are thru the roof and its just for GCs or VRs. they arent any different then GB or MVD, they arent in biz to help us but to make $$, once they see they arent bye bye

Now if enough people end up hitting the same store man will the #s go nuts. So besides those in a bad area Id assume those getting hit with alot of VR & GC sales will be changing to ca$h only as well.

I cant see how they make any money off the VRs or GCs if a CC is used, no way is the fee enough to offset the % they must pay to the CC issuer for charging the CC.Which is why alot of gas stations have a ca$h price and a more expensive Credit price, if they charged teh same not much left over in tehir pocket after paying the CC fees involved.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by craz
no way is the fee enough to offset the % they must pay to the CC issuer for charging the CC.
Then we are making CC issuer very happy and we should not be hesitant of our activity. (At least those who use 1x cards )
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Bought 1 K each from 2 cvs today - no problem.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by ctbarron
How much was the VR purchase? A few posts back the scanning thing was also noted.
I had the same thing happen twice today. It was always with the second VR. It didn't ask for ID after the first but ID had to be scanned to process the 2nd. All were $500 loads.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by craz
no way is the fee enough to offset the % they must pay to the CC issuer for charging the CC.
How much exactly is that fee they must pay?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by Jwerking
So logistically, please help me with the steps on how to load the $500 onto my BB acct. Do I just follow the directions on the VR and when at Vanillareload.com - I enter the BB acct # as the "prepaid card number" (AMEX) and the VR scratch off PIN #? Sorry for the stupid question - but just want to make sure I have it right since this is my first time.

If it works, I will go back to 7-11 and try to purchase additional VRs and hope they let me charge it again!

Also, visited my local CVS and they had totally different Vanilla cards. The packaging was black with 2 horizontal stripes with the name" My Vanilla, Personal Reloadable Prepaid Card". Says that after registering online - you will receive a car in the mail in 7-10 days. I assume this is NOT the correct Vanilla card to get for the BB scenario - is that right?

Thanks for the help - it is a bit confusing. And of course, I am always on the tail end of great schemes since most retailers are now asking cash payment for the VR cards.
Not a newbie to FT - I did make the 2M mark on AA last year to earn Plat status and very few of the miles were from flying. Luv FT - it has taught me a lot and I marvel at the creativity of posters that find the loopholes that earn us the megamiles. It it just that this whole BB scheme was quite convoluted and honestly, I did spend hours reading the multiple BB threads.
Huh? Who said you were newbie to FT?
It's clear that you are new to BB.
Seriously I don't recommend you to jump in this game if you really spent hours but still couldn't find out how to load BB and even distinguish between VR and other cards.
I regret having posted my reply as it was too generous and I usually don't such a spoon feed.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Not a newbie to FT - I did make the 2M mark on AA last year to earn Plat status and very few of the miles were from flying. Luv FT - it has taught me a lot and I marvel at the creativity of posters that find the loopholes that earn us the megamiles. It it just that this whole BB scheme was quite convoluted and honestly, I did spend hours reading the multiple BB threads.
You hit 2M mark on AA without flying much? Wow thats impressive. I am trying all the tricks in the books and have manufactured only 100k this year. Any tips? Everything seems to be 1X (1.25X if you use SPG).
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Huh? Who said you were newbie to FT?
It's clear that you are new to BB.
Seriously I don't recommend you to jump in this game if you really spent hours but still couldn't find out how to load BB and even distinguish between VR and other cards.
I regret having posted my reply as it was too generous and I usually don't such a spoon feed.
@:-)

Now you see!
I dont mind help ppl out either but its usually/exclusively via PM. And thats only when its apparent they have done their homework. Sponfeeding in public only makes other kids hungry.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by arsenalman
You hit 2M mark on AA without flying much? Wow thats impressive. I am trying all the tricks in the books and have manufactured only 100k this year. Any tips? Everything seems to be 1X (1.25X if you use SPG).
Used to be a lot easier when you could churn the Citi AA cards 3x per quarter, fund Citi bank accounts with credit cards, endless double, triple or better promos. When I first started flying AA in 2006 I was going LHR-JFK-LHR roundtrip once a week for a couple of months and there was a promo with 50k for each one! Those were the days....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.