Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
But why would anyone buy 5k of VRs in one go? BB has a 5K Limit per month and 1k per day. Do people have 5 accounts? what am i missing?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by arsenalman
But why would anyone buy 5k of VRs in one go? BB has a 5K Limit per month and 1k per day. Do people have 5 accounts? what am i missing?
multiple bb accounts / save gas / 1 trip of 5k equals 5 trips of 1k / save time etc etc
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by arsenalman
Multiple family members plus VRs are not only used to load BBs.. there are other cards as well
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:00 am

Confirmed in San Diego area that ID (driver's license) is required to purchase more than one VR. ID screen did not pop up until the 2nd VR was entered.

I chatted with the checkout person and she and her colleague confirmed it was new and they said it was to make sure you did not buy more than $1K per day. She said there were some people that came in and went "round and round" at the same store buying $1K per transaction. She also said she heard that the data was shared with all stores so that you could not hop stores in the same day.

Anybody able to hop stores in the same day?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Confirmed in East Bay area also about scanning DL. I don't mind them scanning my license but don't know what will they do with that information. I asked the lady but she said its company policy.

I was able to buy 2K worth in separate transactions.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Multiple family members plus VRs are not only used to load BBs.. there are other cards as well
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
load "My Vanilla Debit" then do a cash advance at banks.

Save the blue bird for gift cards with pins.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
went to the the store that has never disappointed me, got 3 X vr's cashier had to slide my dl on 2nd vr. so limit is >1k and dl had to be swiped. on a side note, the store had a big stash of vr on friday, i had to dig the last 3 hiding behind the google play cards
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:24 pm

Went to 3 stores in the Vegas area and they now all have signs and memos going out saying no credit cards for prepaid cards. Is this dependent on individual stores?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jasonz9238
Went to 3 stores in the Vegas area and they now all have signs and memos going out saying no credit cards for prepaid cards. Is this dependent on individual stores?
Yes it is.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:37 am

Went to CVS yesterday and bought 2 $500 VRs. No Problem. Since the queue was long, I came back after few minutes (being courteous to other patrons, shouldn't have). New guy was at the counter and he saw I already purchased two cards and did not let me buy more. I waited around and went back when the first guy at the counter came back and bought two more VRs. This 2nd guy saw me purchasing and was mad at me and almost yelled at me. I yelled back at him and he said it is the law and I can't buy more than $1000 in day in VRs. We had a calm discussion and he explained that people are using these VRs for money embezzlement and management does not want any problem and they are limiting to $1000 a day for customer.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by RJ5929
Went to CVS yesterday and bought 2 $500 VRs. No Problem. Since the queue was long, I came back after few minutes (being courteous to other patrons, shouldn't have). New guy was at the counter and he saw I already purchased two cards and did not let me buy more. I waited around and went back when the first guy at the counter came back and bought two more VRs. This 2nd guy saw me purchasing and was mad at me and almost yelled at me. I yelled back at him and he said it is the law and I can't buy more than $1000 in day in VRs. We had a calm discussion and he explained that people are using these VRs for money embezzlement and management does not want any problem and they are limiting to $1000 a day for customer.
Why did you have to insist on doing this at this particular CVS? Do you want these cashier to lose their job? As long as you get the benefits, screw everyone else involved?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by RJ5929
Had this EXACT encounter with a clerk and manager at one cvs
I then said unless youre accusing me of fraud laundeting or embezelment you can f off

I wont go in that store til those staffers rotate out in like 9 months or so

Bunch of brainwashed idiots they all are!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:48 am

Live in NJ and work in NY. First time saw VR in one of NYC store. took 1 to clerk, she refused outright -- cash only !
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
I wonder how many people actually buy VR's with cash or whatever for their intended purpose?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.