Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
Why do they require to swipe ID? Are they going to report the purchase somewhere?
Presumably they have an electronic log to prevent you from buying more than 5K per day at the various stores. I am not big enough ...... to test their systems.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:37 pm

Why does the title of this thread still say $1k? Isn't it $5k now?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:03 pm

I saw the cashiers screen after dl was swiped, it said "id validation in progress". This is presumably to take out the human checking the id. Cashier said the dl info is not stored. Left with 12 cards between the 2 of us...2 card per transaction spread over a few CCs.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Presumably they have an electronic log to prevent you from buying more than 5K per day at the various stores. I am not big enough ...... to test their systems.
Not down south they dont.... trust me.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:55 pm

Bought my first VRs at CVS today for manufactured US DM spend on my barclay master card. Was thrilled I could do it but my $1500 CL sucks. Scared the absolute sh*t out of me when she swiped my ID. This is just to keep limits on how many VRs you can buy in a day, yes?

Any word on $5k vs $1k limit per day?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
In SoCal, I was able to purchase more than 1K for the first time now that the new DL scanning procedure has been put in place.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:34 pm

Bought my first VRs at CVS today for manufactured US DM spend on my barclay master card. Was thrilled I could do it but my $1500 CL sucks. Scared the absolute sh*t out of me when she swiped my ID. This is just to keep limits on how many VRs you can buy in a day, yes?

Fwiw, the manager I spoke to said they were keeping track of the number of VRs you buy against your name/ID to help monitor money laundering issues. Pretty much they have a database of your name and VR purchases going forward.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12
Fwiw, the manager I spoke to said they were keeping track of the number of VRs you buy against your name/ID to help monitor money laundering issues. Pretty much they have a database of your name and VR purchases going forward.
If you ever scanned your CVS card everytime you made a purchase and that card had your real info on it they have had the ability to track you all along.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:48 pm

Is it limited to VR or all VR/VISA/MC/AMEX GCs? Last time I asked $1k only on VR or VISA/MC/AMEX GCs combined, the answer was for all. Time to switch to WG.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
If you ever scanned your CVS card everytime you made a purchase and that card had your real info on it they have had the ability to track you all along.
But this one is worse, DL info is in it. It's not difficult to fake ExtraCare Bucks registration info. Yes, my grocery store takes the DL info, but it's not for monitoring money laundering activity but making sure that I'm not using a stolen CC, correct?

Last edited by vagrants; Aug 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by vagrants
But this one is worse, DL info is in it. It's not difficult to fake ExtraCare Bucks registration info.
And this is purpose built. It would take a bit more effort to sift through the Extracare records to dig out the info wanted.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
Is it limited to VR or all VR/VISA/MC/AMEX GCs? Last time I asked $1k only on VR or VISA/MC/AMEX GCs combined, the answer was for all. Time to switch to WG.

Any transactions over >1K...doesn't matter if VR or GCs.

Best bet is to just get one on each trip, if you're not comfortable with DL scan.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
And this is purpose built. It would take a bit more effort to sift through the Extracare records to dig out the info wanted.
Yes

Any transactions over >1K...doesn't matter if VR or GCs.

Best bet is to just get one on each trip, if you're not comfortable with DL scan.
Thank you!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:08 pm

Is there any kind of benefit to loading just under $500 per reload vs right at $500? I'm thinking the advantage would be avoiding suspicions from the CC companies, CVS, etc. Insight?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Is there any kind of benefit to loading just under $500 per reload vs right at $500? I'm thinking the advantage would be avoiding suspicions from the CC companies, CVS, etc. Insight?
I doubt these underhanded tricks are gonna fool them if they have decided to come after you. Some people pad the card purchases with other small stuff but it's pretty obvious, IMO.

Amex can even go as far as requesting receipts and see itemized transactions. Play to your standards. Don't go out of your comfort zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.