Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Confirming the $5K new story line too. I just returned from my standby CVS and the store manager suggested that I can now buy up to $5K a day instead of the typical $1K. I just had the typical two cards in my hand and there are plenty on the rack available whenever I wish (I know...I am fortunate). I think I will go back tomorrow and see if I can really get $5K in one transaction.

In addition, I was not asked for any form of identification (other than me consistently flashing my drivers license to the cashier to validate the name is the same on the credit card I am using.
How many BB # do you have? One account has a 5k limit and 1k per day right.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
I just came back from my Rx store.

Regretfully, the 5K limit is true. Going forward it will be no more than $5,000 or 10cards per day.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I just came back from my Rx store.

Regretfully, the 5K limit is true. Going forward it will be no more than $5,000 or 10cards per day.

Isn't 5K per day plenty for most people? I guess I don't get the part to be regretful about.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by @ORD
Isn't 5K per day plenty for most people? I guess I don't get the part to be regretful about.
Stores run out with 1K/person limit. What do you think is going to happen with $5K/person limit?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
@carsnoceans

I see what you mean. You reckon it is too high

In DC area, maybe, I heard horror stories of people hiding beans at last FTU's discussions.

In my neck of woods, it is lot easier as you found out on your last trip. Slow and steady....
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Stores run out with 1K/person limit. What do you think is going to happen with $5K/person limit?
many CC accounts shut downs
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
many CC accounts shut downs
I hope so! ^

Just not mine

I went to a local CVS at lunch time, they had 2 dozen beans. I went back at 9pm. Empty! WTH!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by pkerr
Does it really matter? A card is a card. they are practically identical to the old ones. Old? New? Just as long as they have them.
Nope - new ones have a magnetic stripe. Means new POS routine. new checks.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:27 am

I've only seen those new ones at -4 stores. interesting that they're showing up at CVS now.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:06 am

This morning i went to one of the many CVS stores in my area (southern new england) that sell VRs. I bought my usual 2 VRs. A few things:

Last edited by WhateverDude; Jul 30, 2013 at 6:20 am
      Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
      Originally Posted by WhateverDude
      This morning i went to one of the many CVS stores in my area (southern new england) that sell VRs. I bought my usual 2 VRs. A few things:
          Never seen those yet in ATL despite all the fake one reports.
          Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:38 am

The 5K limit is meaning less unless you are using high dollar GCs or will split up the transaction among many cards.

I dare anyone to consistently spend 5k at a drugstore.

If there's a promo going on their cards wont make it till the end of the month.
          Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:02 am
          FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
          Originally Posted by KYBOSH
          The 5K limit is meaning less unless you are using high dollar GCs or will split up the transaction among many cards.

I dare anyone to consistently spend 5k at a drugstore.

If there's a promo going on their cards wont make it till the end of the month.
          What do i get if i have on occassion
          Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:16 am

Confirmed in San Diego area that ID (driver's license) is required to purchase more than one VR. ID screen did not pop up until the 2nd VR was entered.

I chatted with the checkout person and she and her colleague confirmed it was new and they said it was to make sure you did not buy more than $1K per day. She said there were some people that came in and went "round and round" at the same store buying $1K per transaction. She also said she heard that the data was shared with all stores so that you could not hop stores in the same day.

Anybody able to hop stores in the same day?
          Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
          Originally Posted by prestonv
          Confirmed in San Diego area that ID (driver's license) is required to purchase more than one VR. ID screen did not pop up until the 2nd VR was entered.

I chatted with the checkout person and she and her colleague confirmed it was new and they said it was to make sure you did not buy more than $1K per day. She said there were some people that came in and went "round and round" at the same store buying $1K per transaction. She also said she heard that the data was shared with all stores so that you could not hop stores in the same day.

Anybody able to hop stores in the same day?
          I visited 2 stores this morning, both were 1k max, did not scan for ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.