Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:37 am

I saw two racks of VR's at a big Walgreens the other day and sighed heavily.

My CC's were screaming at me to attempt to buy them even though my conscience told me it wouldn't work. DAMN YOU WG MANAGEMENT!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
Why did you have to insist on doing this at this particular CVS? Do you want these cashier to lose their job? As long as you get the benefits, screw everyone else involved?
I drove around for five other CVS and found non VRs. Once he explained me everything I agreed with him it will be $100/day. No problem. I dont want him to loose his job and screw for everyone else you ******. I know better than that.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkerr
Does it really matter? A card is a card. they are practically identical to the old ones. Old? New? Just as long as they have them.[
QUOTE=rdover1;21180662]Nope - new ones have a magnetic stripe. Means new POS routine. new checks.[/QUOTE]

Self-correction. The new ones at 7-1 have the magnetic strip and the new scratch-off. The new ones at CVS just have the new scratch off. I found both old and new at a couple of CVS and both triggered the ID swipe. (CA Bay Area).
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by turnpike13
I saw two racks of VR's at a big Walgreens the other day and sighed heavily.

My CC's were screaming at me to attempt to buy them even though my conscience told me it wouldn't work. DAMN YOU WG MANAGEMENT!
It is always worth trying again, periodically, to see if anything has changed. This is how new FT discoveries happen. Example: WG may have realized their GC sales have totally tanked since cash only and some one in Marketing decides to try the old way......
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by rdover1
It is always worth trying again, periodically, to see if anything has changed. This is how new FT discoveries happen. Example: WG may have realized their GC sales have totally tanked since cash only and some one in Marketing decides to try the old way......
Yesterday, I went to a nearest WG. They had no VISA/MC/AMEX GCs. There were like 10 stacks of VRs and lots of GD PrePaids. I drove 2 miles to get to another WG. It looked like unlimited amount of VISA/MC/AMEX GCs.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by vagrants
Yesterday, I went to a nearest WG. They had no VISA/MC/AMEX GCs. There were like 10 stacks of VRs and lots of GD PrePaids. I drove 2 miles to get to another WG. It looked like unlimited amount of VISA/MC/AMEX GCs.
...and? What was your success at WG?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by pier11
...and? What was your success at WG?
I bought 1x OneVanilla GC. But, that's not the point I wanted to make. The point I wanted to make was:

Example: WG may have realized their GC sales have totally tanked since cash only and some one in Marketing decides to try the old way......
The nearest WG of mine, they had none. It's not out of stock. They didn't even have place holders for VISA/MC/AMEX GCs anywhere in the store. I looked around the store for like 20 min or so since I thought I must have missed it.

Last edited by vagrants; Jul 31, 2013 at 10:37 am
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:01 am

I wonder if one can refuse to have them scan your ID and just cancel out the transaction/just get one instead. The idea of CVS having my DL info is not comforting. I've yet to buy 2 in one transaction this month, so not sure if my area has implemnted that policy.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkerr
The new ones at CVS just have the new scratch off. I found both old and new at a couple of CVS and both triggered the ID swipe. (CA Bay Area).
I bought one yesterday, no ID swipe, not even asked to show ID. (So CA)
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by prasha11
I bought one yesterday, no ID swipe, not even asked to show ID. (So CA)
it has started for sure but not all stores have caught up/updated/restarted. I went to 3 stores yesterday, 2 - max 1k and no ID swipe, 1 - allowed 1.5k (thats all that was left) and HAD TO swipe ID on 2nd VR.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by prestonv
Confirmed in San Diego area that ID (driver's license) is required to purchase more than one VR. ID screen did not pop up until the 2nd VR was entered. [...]
Originally Posted by concordian
Confirmed in East Bay area also about scanning DL. [...]
Originally Posted by logiteck
I'm in So Cal [...] This morning I went to the same store and bought two more VR and a prompt came up on the screen asking the cashier to swipe my id. [...]
Same thing happened to me in LA this week.

have not encountered this issue buying other reload-ables/GCs, however
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:14 pm

Bought $1k vr today/cvs. No id
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by bluerunningsocks
Bought $1k vr today/cvs. No id
I had a slice of pizza and a half priced muffin for lunch today. No id.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:38 pm

They never asked me for an ID, but they always want last 4-digits of the card around here.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by turnpike13
I had a slice of pizza and a half priced muffin for lunch today. No id.
Were you able to set a pin on the pizza and muffin to load to BB?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.