Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam

More importantly, I was told "Cash Only", Grrrrrr
I found a gas station in my area that 1. Has VRs, 2. Accepts credit cards, and 3. Seemed to forget to charge the $3.95 load fee because they barely even knew how to work the register to load the VR. I sat there and loaded it to my BB on my phone because they were worried they hadn't done it correctly. I walked out kind of giggly at the experience.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by SexyTurtle
I found a gas station in my area that 1. Has VRs, 2. Accepts credit cards, and 3. Seemed to forget to charge the $3.95 load fee because they barely even knew how to work the register to load the VR. I sat there and loaded it to my BB on my phone because they were worried they hadn't done it correctly. I walked out kind of giggly at the experience.
If you make them lose money that way, it seems you are giving them a reason to be "Cash Only" all manual so don't need to work with the register that much.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Had a new issue today @ CVS.

Walked in to a CVS store with 1K worth of beans and swiped by Citi AAdvantage cc. Transaction didn't go through... tried twice. Cashier said system displayed - "Submit Alternative Tender" message. I have purchased at this store before using chase/amex and no problems. Is Citi changing policies on spending?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans

Walked in to a CVS store with 1K worth of beans and swiped by Citi AAdvantage cc. Transaction didn't go through... tried twice. Cashier said system displayed - "Submit Alternative Tender" message. I have purchased at this store before using chase/amex and no problems. Is Citi changing policies on spending?
Citi probably had a fraud alert. Did you call and tell them you were making the transaction?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Except for 2 stores in Boston that always have a full stock. NYC isn't even worth the look.

I've done anywhere up to about 6,000 a month on one card, mixed with other stuff of course. Never a word, and many of these were AMEX too.
Hmm, you're in a luckier part of Boston than I am. I'm at Congress & State and have five CVSs within a several blocks. One is 75/25, two are 50/50, one is 25/75 and the other is never. The problem is that they all seem to go out at the same time.

Mike
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold

I've had that happen a couple times. The clerk said to just try to swipe again and it worked the second time each time.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by tsmith12
Citi probably had a fraud alert. Did you call and tell them you were making the transaction?
Their fraud dept gave me a call today to verify the transactions but it didn't go through yesterday.
Additionally, fraud dept called me from Chase CSP as well. Since Citi didn't go through, I had used CSP buy the beans.

Funny... I am only generating these flags in Chicago. Never happened in DC and I bought lot more beans from RX over there.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:23 am

I've never had fraud alerts buying in my home area (Boston) but when tried to buy one VR in TX, Citi stopped the transaction (although they had allowed smaller Whole Foods transactions earlier in the day). So maybe Chicago is sufficiently foreign from DC to trigger their alerts.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:49 am

The algorithms for fraud detection are fairly tough to figure out. That's why I always bring my "alternative tender." And always from different accounts. If one Amex card gets denied, the rest of your cards on the same account will too.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:03 am
Suspended

Their fraud dept gave me a call today to verify the transactions but it didn't go through yesterday.
Additionally, fraud dept called me from Chase CSP as well. Since Citi didn't go through, I had used CSP buy the beans.

Funny... I am only generating these flags in Chicago. Never happened in DC and I bought lot more beans from RX over there.
1- seems DC is your home base,while ORd isnt so when in ORD and the spending is high they just want to be sure ist you

2- Ive gotten plenty of Holds even when down the.More so with a newly
issued CC then an old 1.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: SQ
It seems to be completely random. I've only gotten one fraud detection, and it was when I was using the Hyatt Visa to buy a VR after I hadn't used it much at all.

I then had to use the AMEX back-to-back after the Hyatt froze and no problem doing 2k in 2 minutes.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I'm driving down to DC this weekend.. how is the beans situation down there?

Is it CVS' only or 7-11 worth a shot? Any recommendations on a good CVS to hit up a couple of times in downtown DC?

Would appreciate a PM if you don't want to post it on the forum. I will only be in town for two days, with no imminent plans to return so will not be competing with you at all!

Thanks in advance =)
Old Jul 18, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by Duffman
I'm driving down to DC this weekend.. how is the beans situation down there?

Is it CVS' only or 7-11 worth a shot? Any recommendations on a good CVS to hit up a couple of times in downtown DC?

Would appreciate a PM if you don't want to post it on the forum. I will only be in town for two days, with no imminent plans to return so will not be competing with you at all!

Thanks in advance =)
What part of DC?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: SQ
CVS in Alabama will sell me as many VRs as I want, but all the stores are insisting on 500 per transaction.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:54 pm

I went around to about 10 CVS stores in the Houston area the past 3 days. Only 1 had Vanilla Reloads in stock. I tried to buy at the register and they said cash only, not just for that but for the Visa gift cards as well. It's the first time I've ever been unable to buy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.