Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I usually can't find the hidden ones, but there was ONE bean left in the rack where it was supposed to be. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that there's never only one left, so I dug for a few minutes until I found the stash.
Earlier this year, almost all VRs in my area were hidden ones.
So as soon as I came to the rack, I dug into behind GCs.
One day the guy arrived at the rack later me just picked up one VR while I was digging into GCs. Yes, the VR wasn't hid and it was only one left at the CVS.
Since then, before I dig into the GCs, I take a quick scan of the rack.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
The key to find the hidden VRs is to scan GCs from the side, not from the front.
This. They're pretty easy to spot when you look from the side.

Typical hiding spots are behind other cards of similar shape and size, or on top of the rack if it's a tall rack.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
This. They're pretty easy to spot when you look from the side.

Typical hiding spots are behind other cards of similar shape and size, or on top of the rack if it's a tall rack.
I've tried this before, but there are certain types of cards (i.e. PSN) that don't sell very often, and as a result often have an older card style stacked behind the newer ones.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:01 pm

cc

what are the best drugstore credit card rewards right now to get most out of spend. 5% / 12 months is up.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: SQ
I love the home state of CVS

Was visiting family today in the general area of PVD. I did a CVS run of the 7 CVS' around their home and all of them were filled with VRs. I picked up all I need for the entire month and didn't look suspicious doing so!!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:27 am
Suspended

The CVS near my house has lots of VR but they have more stupid cashiers as well
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I stopped by my CVS tonight (Saturday) there was a small sign by the VRs noting that you would get a $3 Extra Rewards rebate for buying a VR card. The sale seems to start tomorrow, Sunday. I'm not sure what happens if you buy more than 1 in a transaction. If I have the time, I will try to swing by the store tomorrow for the details. I don't see a reference to this sale in the upcoming circular.

This is the first time I've seen the VRs "on special" at CVS. $3 isn't much, but it will certainly motivate me to make my monthly VR purchases in this coming week. Of course, then I have to find something I want to actually buy in the store (you can't use the certificate for a discount on gift cards).
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by iahphx
When I stopped by my CVS tonight (Saturday) there was a small sign by the VRs noting that you would get a $3 Extra Rewards rebate for buying a VR card. The sale seems to start tomorrow, Sunday. I'm not sure what happens if you buy more than 1 in a transaction. If I have the time, I will try to swing by the store tomorrow for the details. I don't see a reference to this sale in the upcoming circular.

This is the first time I've seen the VRs "on special" at CVS. $3 isn't much, but it will certainly motivate me to make my monthly VR purchases in this coming week. Of course, then I have to find something I want to actually buy in the store (you can't use the certificate for a discount on gift cards).
fantastic!

check out the weekly ads... there is always something on that's a good deal. Like this week small Dawn dishwashing liquid for 97c each. You can usually get coupons for another 25c off. I always get fillers like this. It's like I've become a coupon king
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:05 pm

Wow, so that would almost make these free miles with with 3$ back.

CVS vs Walgreens is like SQ vs UA
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Wow, so that would almost make these free miles with with 3$ back.

CVS vs Walgreens is like SQ vs UA
Yes. I am one of those strange people who actually buy things apart from VR at CVS! With the Extracare card, it seems you always get an email offer for 15-20% off every weekend. Unfortunately, doesn't apply to GC, but still good.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Probably want you to swipe your rewards card so they can track VR's easier (who knows?)
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
Probably want you to swipe your rewards card so they can track VR's easier (who knows?)
That actually makes a little bit of sense, although I'm sure CVS has some idea what's going on.

The positive sign of this is that VRs aren't going anywhere at CVS. The downside is that this could cause a lot more sales, and therefore more cashiers wondering why they aren't cash only.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
I am pretty sure CVS on corporate level actually wants people to buy VR using a credit card, though individual clerks or managers might think it is odd.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Are you sure the extrabucks rewards is for VR? They have the MVD as receiving the $3 in their weekly ad for next week, not VR. It'd be great if it works for both though.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by iahphx

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
fantastic!

check out the weekly ads... there is always something on that's a good deal. Like this week small Dawn dishwashing liquid for 97c each. You can usually get coupons for another 25c off. I always get fillers like this. It's like I've become a coupon king
Not quite... This is for the MVD... not VRs.
Check page 6 of this week's flyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.