Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by @ORD
The ATM in my local Walmart Money Center has this audio feature. It announced step by step what you are doing - like loading $500 to BB

Does anybody know if you can turn it off?
Yes, VERY annoying.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by tehzio
Good point.
I didn't even think about that.

Thanks.
+1

That's precisely what it is.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by waingro
If you buy VR, then you load online. If you buy GC then you need to go to Walmart.
You are absolutely right. I meant GC. Was having a senior moment. Thanks for the correction.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG gold, PC Plat, Delta GM, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
+1

That's precisely what it is.
Yup. I just got a $500 reload using my Citi reserve at CVS.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by moondog417
At my local WM I've noticed that the voice assist is on sometimes and off others, so obviously there is a way. I've never much worried about it. I know there is a headphone jack about halfway down from the screen with a volume knob, perhaps that is how you can turn it off.
Twisting that knob doesn't do/change the sound level of the voice assist. I also tried plugging in the jack but that doesn't help either. Do it before you start a transaction, every options got grayed out and you're stuck.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by moondog417
At my local WM I've noticed that the voice assist is on sometimes and off others, so obviously there is a way. I've never much worried about it. I know there is a headphone jack about halfway down from the screen with a volume knob, perhaps that is how you can turn it off.

Or get the cheapest earbuds you can buy, cut off the actual earbuds (or use them as is if you like the computer's voice) so all you have is a 1-2 inch 3.mm jack, then insert that into the machine before doing your transactions. It's worked for me. The couple I've used have no volume control/knob..only a 3.mm input thing. It's really dumb that there's no way to turn off the audio on all these kiosks. I mean, what other ATMs out there announces, out loud, how much you're depositing so every one around you knows?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
I am constantly getting fraud alerts on my Citi CC when buying these. And then, for some reason, it takes a while for the automated system to kick in and realize there's a stop on my card, and then even after it's cleared up, card is still blocked for a while longer. It's getting VERY FRUSTRATING. Anyone else experiencing? I would call and talk to someone but with Citi's history of shutting down accounts, I obviously don't want a pair of eyeballs looking at the account. Hints? Suggestions?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by ramalama8
I am constantly getting fraud alerts on my Citi CC when buying these. And then, for some reason, it takes a while for the automated system to kick in and realize there's a stop on my card, and then even after it's cleared up, card is still blocked for a while longer. It's getting VERY FRUSTRATING. Anyone else experiencing? I would call and talk to someone but with Citi's history of shutting down accounts, I obviously don't want a pair of eyeballs looking at the account. Hints? Suggestions?
Which Citi CC is it? Oddly Citi is the only I bank I do not get the occasional fraud alert from. Also, how much are you purchasing in each transaction? I used to get alerts at $1k from other banks, but these seem to have stopped (maybe they got used to it). Maybe try smaller transactions? Or try a couple of non-VR purchases at CVS?

I find Citi really slow at a lot of stuff, so I can understand the waiting-to-clear frustration.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I've been regularly buying VRs at a NYC CVS for the past few weeks with my Amex without incident. Last week I tried to use a second Amex instead to meet some minimum spending on that card but got a message at the register that alternate payment was required. The cashier said the card wasn't accepted. I asked if I could use another credit card and the cashier said I was free to try. I used the original Amex and it then went through. I've used this second Amex on other purchases without incident, and I don't believe there to be any fraud alerts, so any idea on whether this is an issue with my card or something going on at CVS?

I plan to try this second Amex at a CVS outside Manhattan to see if maybe it works there...
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta GM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I've been regularly buying VRs at a NYC CVS for the past few weeks with my Amex without incident. Last week I tried to use a second Amex instead to meet some minimum spending on that card but got a message at the register that alternate payment was required. The cashier said the card wasn't accepted. I asked if I could use another credit card and the cashier said I was free to try. I used the original Amex and it then went through. I've used this second Amex on other purchases without incident, and I don't believe there to be any fraud alerts, so any idea on whether this is an issue with my card or something going on at CVS?

I plan to try this second Amex at a CVS outside Manhattan to see if maybe it works there...
I've been using SPG Amexin manhattan no problem the last few weeks. Which Amex did you try?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chipahoy82
I've been using SPG Amexin manhattan no problem the last few weeks. Which Amex did you try?
SPG Amex worked, SPG Biz Amex did not work for me. Seems odd since the store is definitely allowing some Amex transactions for VRs and my SPG Biz Amex is working for other types of purchases.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
SPG Amex worked, SPG Biz Amex did not work for me. Seems odd since the store is definitely allowing some Amex transactions for VRs and my SPG Biz Amex is working for other types of purchases.
Nothing odd about it. I know this thread is 50+ pages long but it's been mentioned multiple times here that this happens. Swipe again and it may go through. If not then you triggered a fraud alert.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, United, BA Avios, US Airways
No more cc for gc's?

In bay area one CVS store denied purchase of visa gcs using a cc.

Is this a one off?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Manik2012
In bay area one CVS store denied purchase of visa gcs using a cc.

Is this a one off?
Try try again
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Try try again
Why? move on for better deals........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.