Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Manik2012
In bay area one CVS store denied purchase of visa gcs using a cc.

Is this a one off?
It varies store to store. As of a few weeks ago, at least half the stores in the East Bay allowed CC purchases. The problem is, those were typically stores without VRs so you had to buy GCs at somewhat added cost and make a trip to WM to load. Also, no more drugstore bonuses on popular CCs like Hilton Amex.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
Why? move on for better deals........
Not in this CVS thread. Unless I'm missing something.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I've been regularly buying VRs at a NYC CVS for the past few weeks with my Amex without incident. Last week I tried to use a second Amex instead to meet some minimum spending on that card but got a message at the register that alternate payment was required. The cashier said the card wasn't accepted. I asked if I could use another credit card and the cashier said I was free to try. I used the original Amex and it then went through. I've used this second Amex on other purchases without incident, and I don't believe there to be any fraud alerts, so any idea on whether this is an issue with my card or something going on at CVS?

I plan to try this second Amex at a CVS outside Manhattan to see if maybe it works there...
Any time I get that message, I use the same card again and it has always gone through the second time. This is an Amex Blue Cash card.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:47 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
For the old timers: Nothing new in the last 300 or so replies... some complaining here, some complaining there
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:06 am

Bought my first VR yesterday, at a CVS. I was surprised by what an easy transaction it was. The cashier didn't try to tell me I couldn't use a CC, and the CC I used worked the first time without issue (i.e. no fraud alert from my CC company). It was almost too easy after reading comments in this thread about issues people have at some CVS's, which is why I've waited so long to start buying VR's.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vdo2000
Any time I get that message, I use the same card again and it has always gone through the second time. This is an Amex Blue Cash card.
Thanks, I tried swiping a second time and that did the trick.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: A few
Where are you guys stocking up on in manhattan? Just tried lex/53rd,3rd/42nd and 2nd/34th and no luck in any. Sure glad I just work and don't live here lol
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:58 pm

Anyone else in the LA area having trouble finding VRs at CVS recently? I haven't seen any in weeks, maybe even a month, including at the two locations nearest my home, which never seemed to run out and accepted cc's with no hassles. I've tried several other locations across town and some of them don't even appear to have a designated spot for them. By that I mean I don't see an empty hook/spot marked Vanilla Reload, which you typically find in stores when they are sold out. I'm starting to get worried that they will no longer be carrying the product in this area. I'm holding $3500 in VRs right now for July, so I'd be happy to just get another $1500 to reach the monthly limit.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by strummerjones
Anyone else in the LA area having trouble finding VRs at CVS recently? I haven't seen any in weeks, maybe even a month, including at the two locations nearest my home, which never seemed to run out and accepted cc's with no hassles. I've tried several other locations across town and some of them don't even appear to have a designated spot for them. By that I mean I don't see an empty hook/spot marked Vanilla Reload, which you typically find in stores when they are sold out. I'm starting to get worried that they will no longer be carrying the product in this area. I'm holding $3500 in VRs right now for July, so I'd be happy to just get another $1500 to reach the monthly limit.
Ask the cashier if they have them behind the counter.
If not there, ask the manager to order more for you.
They can place an order for you. Keep reminding him/her until they arrive.

Good Luck
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:47 pm

Some stores keep these cards behind the cash counter, so carry a used card as sample, show and ask the cashier...(no need to explain)
Once U find such store U can always go there when U want one, rarely U come back disappointed.

Last edited by prasha11; Jun 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:19 pm

the CVS two blocks from my home has always been amply supplied. . .today they were dry except the two I found hidden. Who out there is invading this CVS!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by runningbrave
What does Walmart have to do with cvs???
I'm going to take a guess that if you can't be bothered to read up on this subject, despite being spoon fed a link, then the whole thing isn't really for you - there's actually a bit of work involved.

Last edited by Stripy; Jun 29, 2013 at 10:52 pm
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
In my experience the locations that are more likely to have them are east of the 605 in the San Gabriel Valley, and in the inner city, particularly South Los Angeles. People are going to the convenient areas, and stereotypically there are a lot more whites and Asians who play the VR game, vs. other ethnicities who use VRs for their originally intended purpose.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:05 am
Suspended

Man reading thru all these very long threads are a killer, especially when most of what is written isnt of any help to a person 1st starting out with CVS. But I read all 56 pages and all the posts

I understand that from post #1 to the last post its a few months and things change but Id guess that out of all 56 pgs that it probably could be condensed to 2 max, and save a new person hours of reading everything

Last edited by craz; Jul 2, 2013 at 11:14 am
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by craz
Man reading thru all these very long threads are a killer, especially when most of what is written isnt of any help to a person 1st starting out with CVS

I understand that from post #1 to the last post its a few months and things change but Id guess that out of all 56 pgs that it probably could be condensed to 2 max, and save a new person hours of reading everything
We are trying to confuse any cvs trolls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.