Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bribro
I have no idea, but I noticed that the 7/11s that carry beans are slightly different than the CVS ones - the scratch off part that hides the PIN number is different and arguably "safer" on the 7/11 types because it's not just an adhesive scratch-off strip, it's more like a lotto scratcher. So maybe CVS is upgrading to this type?
All the merchants who have carried vrs or do carry them have slightly different art on them. Your store may have just been coincidentally out while you happened to be noticing variations when at a different store (the 7/11)

At least i personally hope this is the case or the few hundred i have in two vehicles are now useless banks haha

Lol to the last bit btw
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:23 pm

I have no idea, but I noticed that the 7/11s that carry beans are slightly different than the CVS ones - the scratch off part that hides the PIN number is different and arguably "safer" on the 7/11 types because it's not just an adhesive scratch-off strip, it's more like a lotto scratcher. So maybe CVS is upgrading to this type?
I picked up a VR at a gas station yesterday and it had the new scratch off coating. It's silver with black swirls through it and rubs off in little balls more like rubber cement or an eraser if that makes sense.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by Mihiker
I picked up a VR at a gas station yesterday and it had the new scratch off coating. It's silver with black swirls through it and rubs off in little balls more like rubber cement or an eraser if that makes sense.
Yup, that's what the 7/11s around here (SF Bay Area) have. I was speculating that these are the new and improved VRs because the version still at CVS had an adhesive strip that could be peeled off and replaced, which may have been how those fraudsters in Atlanta were scamming people (peel off the strip, write the PIN down, then replace it and wait for your victim to load it).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:19 pm

I got the one as in msg #904. I though that might be the new design of vanilla, but nope, these are debit card. Does that mean I have to head to WM and load to bluebird, is there a daily limit or a charge to load?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21095455-post904.html
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:54 pm

Haven't seen any VRs at my local CVS in southern california for about the past month, maybe the updated cards are why?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
The ones that have the VRs behind the counter still have VRs.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: SQ
I can't believe you guys can't find VRs - I didn't find a single CVS without them all this week and I was in several places on the east coast.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I can't believe you guys can't find VRs - I didn't find a single CVS without them all this week and I was in several places on the east coast.
Have you been to NYC?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:09 am

Nope, I don't even bother looking whenever in in the city because people always complain on here

The suburbs between CT and BOS are fully stocked.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Anyone been getting inquiries from Citi/Amex/Chase for spending 2k-3k at Rx stores every month? I got beans from CVS till now but thinking of adding in some variation to avoid possible inquires.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Anyone been getting inquiries from Citi/Amex/Chase for spending 2k-3k at Rx stores every month? I got beans from CVS till now but thinking of adding in some variation to avoid possible inquires.
No, and I am spending 2-3 x that. Also mixing in "regular" grocery store and gas station and some small misc. stuff.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Do they that?
I think Chase and Citi would just shut down the accounts without notice.
I think only Amex would do FR.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Nope, I don't even bother looking whenever in in the city because people always complain on here

The suburbs between CT and BOS are fully stocked.
I think you've answered your own question.

Suburbs=often stocked
Cities=often out

Mike
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
I think you've answered your own question.

Suburbs=often stocked
Cities=often out

Mike
Except for 2 stores in Boston that always have a full stock. NYC isn't even worth the look.

I've done anywhere up to about 6,000 a month on one card, mixed with other stuff of course. Never a word, and many of these were AMEX too.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Yup, that's what the 7/11s around here (SF Bay Area) have.
Found VRs at 7/11 in my area for the first time and confirmed its scratch is same as West Coast.
I must say I have rarely visited 7/11 for the last couple of months, so I have no idea since when VRs were there.

More importantly, I was told "Cash Only", Grrrrrr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.