Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by ThaPhenom
I went around to about 10 CVS stores in the Houston area the past 3 days. Only 1 had Vanilla Reloads in stock. I tried to buy at the register and they said cash only, not just for that but for the Visa gift cards as well. It's the first time I've ever been unable to buy.
There should be a sign on the GC rack that says you can buy with CC. Next time ask for the manager and point it out. If you are dealing with a lowly shift manager you may not get that far as they parrot what they heard (or more likely what they understood). During the day when the real manager is in is the best time to get this sorted out.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
There should be a sign on the GC rack that says you can buy with CC. Next time ask for the manager and point it out. If you are dealing with a lowly shift manager you may not get that far as they parrot what they heard (or more likely what they understood). During the day when the real manager is in is the best time to get this sorted out.
Sometimes this doesn't even work with the manager. Some people are too full of themselves to ever be wrong. It's like an airline call center which doesn't approve of a routing and you HUACA. You can always WOACBA - walk out and come back again, which will work with different employees (usually the young summer part-timers)
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:08 pm

It is CVS corporate policy that you can purchase all GCs and Reloads (except Green Dots) with a credit card. Any employee or manager telling you otherwise is mistaken. If you want to avoid confrontation then its best to walk away and comeback later. Many ppl here would encourage you to do just that. If you want to put that store in check and have them follow the rules from here on out then one way is to let CVS's 1-800 customer care know that this particular store is not complying wih policy. Often times the customer care rep will call the manager on duty at the store in question and inform then of the policy. You will be able to purchase immedaitely after that. I have had to do this on 3 different occassions at 3 different stores. Each time i have requested a formal complaint be filed which manadates that a district manager call you back within a few days. During those conversations i was assured me that i am able to purchase these products with a credit card. I have had no issues with these stores since then.

When they say you cant buy wih a CC its not to be total d*cks but a way of preventing CC fraud. Only customers with legitimate business with these products will go through the extra ordinary step of calling them out on it and filing a complaint. Of course, once they start following the rules they will most likely follow it to the letter (i.e. 1k a day).

Good Luck
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Has anyone seen the new VRs with the updated security strip at any CVS yet? All my local CVS stores are out, and state they are waiting on the new versions of the cards to come in. No one seems to have an idea when that will be though.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Has anyone seen the new VRs with the updated security strip at any CVS yet? All my local CVS stores are out, and state they are waiting on the new versions of the cards to come in. No one seems to have an idea when that will be though.
Seen the updated strips at 7-11 but not CVS.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by silver6054
I've never had fraud alerts buying in my home area (Boston) but when tried to buy one VR in TX, Citi stopped the transaction (although they had allowed smaller Whole Foods transactions earlier in the day). So maybe Chicago is sufficiently foreign from DC to trigger their alerts.
Any large spend in a category known for lower spend (pharmacy) outside of your home area will likely trigger a fraud check.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by rdover1
Any large spend in a category known for lower spend (pharmacy) outside of your home area will likely trigger a fraud check.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...one-month.html
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by rdover1
As always, YMMV. It all depends on your income, and projected spending....and more
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:30 pm

I just got one vr today, can you reload that card after use? or u have to get a new card everytime?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by darenhuang
I just got one vr today, can you reload that card after use? or u have to get a new card everytime?
No, one use then buy a new one. Vanilla does makes other cards than you can reload - check their website.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:34 pm

I have never had an issue in availability of vanilla in two nearby CVS stores however last two weeks, there is no stock and I am waiting for replemishment once a week one day after their truck arrives.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Yes. Unfortunately they were someone's idea of a joke. They were brought in to the store from a 711 and replaced most of the VRs that the CVS had on the rack.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by darenhuang
How about you read a little before asking? There are thousands of posts talking about this stuff.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Stopped by 4 CVS today, including 2 that are usually reliable, all out of stock.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
How about you read a little before asking? There are thousands of posts talking about this stuff.
Unnecessary post. Poster was answered. Get over it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.