Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Unless he's using GC for those purchases.... there is no way a CC company will let a CC run 15 $1k+ transactions back to back to back.

So I dont know what to think/say about that.

Guys the this kills it for everyone. Probably follows the blogs/forums just enough be dangerous and never contributes a thing to the cause.
30!?! Wow. That makes me feel like my VR runs eating up gas just to spread my measly $5k around every weekend or so is such a waste.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Unless he's using GC for those purchases.... there is no way a CC company will let a CC run 15 $1k+ transactions back to back to back.
Not 1K but 25 transactions back to back in office supply store.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by crazypalooza
had the same experience others have had with scanning the license. like others have posted, only happened on the 2nd card. tried multiple runs today and only happened on one run though.
I just bought $4K of VR at a CVS in Front Royal VA. Clerk never asked for any ID. She tried to do all at once (I asked her to - to test the theory that the $1K limit had been moved to $5K) but the POS terminal wouldn't take the 3rd VR. So she did 4 separate xsactions at $1007.90 ea. No issue from credit card.

I went back a few hours later to get more, and the same clerk said she had "gotten in trouble" for the previous xsactions, and couldn't sell me any more.

So data points:
* $1K limit apparently still in place
* There's buckets of VRs out ther....
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very strange experience today at a CVS. I haven't been doing a lot of CVS as most stores are out and I don't need to meet any minimum spend bonuses, but I have been to this store this month a few times.

Anyway, I go in and I see a manager who has a strict no-Amex-GC policy. So I consider skipping it entirely, but I figure, I've already parked, I probably can't do any more of these this week, so I'll just use my SPG and get one round of VRs.

I go to the counter with my ID out since I know what's coming, and he swipes it in the register. I say, hey, that was my ID, not my CC. He says he knows, but they require that now. I say fine. He starts typing and I ask what else they need, and he says, my birthdate. The swipe doesn't give it to the system.

I say I've never done this before, and he says he thinks it's a new policy - shows me the screen briefly, and tells me he thinks it's for prepaids and reloads above $300.

Anyway, this time I figure with all of this detail, I'll go ahead and use an Amex GC, which I do, and I'm all set. I figure he can't quibble on the GC after swiping my ID, and he doesn't.

So the questions are:

-Is this just some rogue manager who has it in for VR purchasers?

-If it's a truly new policy, has anyone else seen it?

-If it's real, does the info go to Incomm?

-And, could it basically just be to limit purchases to $1k/day across CVS stores, instead of just in any one store?

I really do hope it's just this guy pulling shenanigans, and I have a little experience with this guy, so that wouldn't surprise me too much.

EDIT: Reading back, I see I'm not the first, and that means it wasn't this manager. Same experience here - happened at second card only.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Definitely local store policy as I bought 4 VR's in 2 separate transactions yesterday and was asked only to show ID(without removing from wallet). Some stores/managers are more pro-active.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by ashap
I have completely given up on Boston, there hasn't been any at my CVS for months.
I have no issues on getting beans .. however, some allow more than 1k a day, those rarely have any...

others are REALLY strict with the 1k/day .. and they have a TON

EDIT: on that note, any success with findings beans in Los Angeles?

My fam wants in ... and they are sending me AU CCs to buy the beans, but i'd rather not go in an extra 15k/month

Last edited by stupidzbu; Jul 29, 2013 at 12:14 pm
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by craz
Not at all my post aboves yours was an OT as was the last few on the page before.People were discussing a posters comment that they made AA 2M last yr and some thought they did it via the GCs, that was possible a couple of yrs ago but not last year. I was only clearing that up

So my 'back to the reg program' meant lets not take this thread into AA land and keep it on topic of CVS

just went to 1 which was bone dry on Sun, p/u 2 the old kind, so the reason some dont have cant be that they are waiting for the new type to arrive. There were none on Sun and a couple of full rows today
Nah, wasn't you, just a little FT humor.

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:25 pm

I'm in So Cal and I bought two $500 VR on Friday without any issue, the cashier just asked to see my id to verity against the CC. This morning I went to the same store and bought two more VR and a prompt came up on the screen asking the cashier to swipe my id. The cashier said he never noticed this before and said it must be a new policy.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:59 pm

Has anyone seen the new and improved VRs in their stores? Most stores in the DC area have been out for several weeks and I have only occasionally managed to find hidden old ones as of late which makes me think the new ones are on the way.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by terpfan101
Has anyone seen the new and improved VRs in their stores? Most stores in the DC area have been out for several weeks and I have only occasionally managed to find hidden old ones as of late which makes me think the new ones are on the way.
Does it really matter? A card is a card. they are practically identical to the old ones. Old? New? Just as long as they have them.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:09 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
I was told two interesting things today at "my" CVS:

1) Effective August 8 the VR purchase limit at CVS will increase to $5k/day

2) CVS is now using s "tracking system" for prepaid cards. I'm not sure what that means, but another guy that works in the same store told me 2 weeks ago that "if you buy these every day, they will do a complete background check on you, including your job, etc." It sounds to me like they may be working with the IRS to stop money laundering. I've got nothing to hide, but I'm not sure this hobby is worth having to deal with this type of scrutiny. And, no, I'm not sure if they swiped my ID or entered my birth date.

Last edited by The Mileage Millionaire; Jul 29, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:12 pm

They swiped my ID too, which was new. However, I was able to purchase more than 1,000 in one transaction.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Confirming the $5K new story line too. I just returned from my standby CVS and the store manager suggested that I can now buy up to $5K a day instead of the typical $1K. I just had the typical two cards in my hand and there are plenty on the rack available whenever I wish (I know...I am fortunate). I think I will go back tomorrow and see if I can really get $5K in one transaction.

In addition, I was not asked for any form of identification (other than me consistently flashing my drivers license to the cashier to validate the name is the same on the credit card I am using.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:54 pm

Same story here as mentioned in several posts above: New $5K/day limit. I bought the 5 VRs that were on the rack without much issue, and they scanned my driver's license in the register on the second VR scan...though I'm not necessarily sure that's a bad thing.

Last edited by TravelSummary; Jul 29, 2013 at 6:54 pm Reason: poor grammar
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
I don't like the 5K limit. Racks are gonna stay a lot more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.