Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by lad2
Not sure about downtown since they're mostly miss with CC purchase, but there are plenty on the north side.
How far north, if you don't mind me asking? I've tried every store (I think 8) between North and Irving east of Southport over the last two days and no luck.

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
No, I don't even bother checking the downtown locations. Try the burbs... further is better for your chances.
No car, otherwise I would.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Zip car it.

Manufactured spend is not an easy game.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
FT and other boards are not a good starting point for newbies in general.
true that. I spent a few months on Fat Wallet's Finance forums before coming here. You may find it a good primer for churning.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The nearest CVS has been out of VRs for several days, but now has the new version in. Besides the security strip modifications, they seem a little thinner, which is good. I only need two more to complete my BB load for the month.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:17 am

Possibly good news for us in the FF community and not sure if it's been posted yet so sorry in advance if it has - I stopped into my local bean store last night and was informed that the company policy changed a couple of days ago to a $1k per day / per transaction limit to a $5k per transaction limit.

Registers still weren't able to process more than 1k at a time but for anyone having trouble getting more than $1k per day this might be helpful!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by ashap
Possibly good news for us in the FF community and not sure if it's been posted yet so sorry in advance if it has - I stopped into my local bean store last night and was informed that the company policy changed a couple of days ago to a $1k per day / per transaction limit to a $5k per transaction limit.

Registers still weren't able to process more than 1k at a time but for anyone having trouble getting more than $1k per day this might be helpful!

Imagine a lot of 3K, 4K or 5K VR purchases coming in to the bank in single transactions from CVS. It is going to be interesting to see how Chase/Citi/Amex react.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
true that. I spent a few months on Fat Wallet's Finance forums before coming here. You may find it a good primer for churning.
I dislike the format on that forum. I don't find it helpful. I prefer this one better. I consider the two pretty equal. I'd always recommend the blogs for beginningers, then to visit this place.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Originally Posted by Jwerking
Also, visited my local CVS and they had totally different Vanilla cards. The packaging was black with 2 horizontal stripes with the name" My Vanilla, Personal Reloadable Prepaid Card". Says that after registering online - you will receive a car in the mail in 7-10 days. I assume this is NOT the correct Vanilla card to get for the BB scenario - is that right?
Problem solved. But you might need a larger mailbox.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
FT and other boards are not a good starting point for newbies in general.
Some blogs are very generous for newbies, for example, Million Mile Secret.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/1...-reload-cards/

You need to get a "permanent" BB first to load $ on it.
You can find how to get a permanent BB on the blog or BB official site.
Not a newbie to FT - I did make the 2M mark on AA last year to earn Plat status and very few of the miles were from flying. Luv FT - it has taught me a lot and I marvel at the creativity of posters that find the loopholes that earn us the megamiles. It it just that this whole BB scheme was quite convoluted and honestly, I did spend hours reading the multiple BB threads.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Macken7
Just North of Boston most CVS stores are out also. It will be interesting to see what happens in the near future. Heck even the CVS next to the location of the BOS DO last night was out of VR's. You would think they would have stocked up in anticipation of their best customers being in the neighborhood.
Then again maybe I arrived at the CVS to late at 6:15.
Checked 6 CVS stores throughout downtown Boston last night and all were out.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dangw20
they simply havent gotten the new ones with the new security coded Pin area. Its the same as the ones with the green but have black letters going thru it diagonally

I really dont know anyone was able to remove teh old protection and a buyer didnt notice it. It was very easy to see if it was tampered with or not.The slightest try to remove it in 1 piece rendered it unsmooth any longer
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by dangw20
I have completely given up on Boston, there hasn't been any at my CVS for months.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:58 am

I have completely given up on Boston, there hasn't been any at my CVS for months.
Newton/Brookline/Needham are fine...
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by silver6054
Newton/Brookline/Needham are fine...
That's good to know, I take the commuter rail right into back bay so if they aren't there I have to get them at home. That's ok though!!

Also - I posted yesterday about a potential increase in daily limits. I had success last night at my local CVS, 2k in 1 transaction, my license was scanned into the computer after the 1st or 2nd VR was scanned in by the cashier. According to my favorite manager there this is a brand new policy to allow up to 5k per transaction.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:02 am
Suspended

That's good to know, I take the commuter rail right into back bay so if they aren't there I have to get them at home. That's ok though!!

Also - I posted yesterday about a potential increase in daily limits. I had success last night at my local CVS, 2k in 1 transaction, my license was scanned into the computer after the 1st or 2nd VR was scanned in by the cashier. According to my favorite manager there this is a brand new policy to allow up to 5k per transaction.
they could allow $25K, no way would I want to have to explain such a large purchase at that type of store

I stopped doing even $1k I simply will buy 2 VRs and use 2 CCs $500 on each. No need to wait for a mgr to come and sign off on it, or for the CC to be declined. Do it again later the same day at another pocation or the next day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.