Old Aug 2, 13, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Oct 15, 13, 4:40 pm

Anyone have problems using multiple Amex GC in 500 denominations?

I.e. purchase $3k worth of VRs using 7 Amex GC (7th covering all the fees)
Old Oct 15, 13, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by shingu79
Anyone have problems using multiple Amex GC in 500 denominations?

I.e. purchase $3k worth of VRs using 7 Amex GC (7th covering all the fees)
I don't think that will work. In my experience, the CVS POS system only allows you 6 swipes. After the 6th swipe, the POS system will lock-up and the cashier will need to void. Now that they scan IDs, that will count as a swipe, leaving you with only 5 payment swipes.

For example, I used to be able to purchase $1,000 in VRs using 6 $200 VGCs. With the new polciy change, that no longer works (due to the driver license swipe), and I have to do separate $500 transactions (which isn't bad because it avoids the ID scan).
Old Oct 15, 13, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Just have to say I love the St. Louis area. Found a CVS in the area packed with VRs. Walmart in St. Louis area uncrowded and easy to load BB. No questions asked. No lines. Swipe, approve, swipe again and done. Although Kiosk Kate there was just as sick as at home.
Old Oct 15, 13, 6:41 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by DziVang
Strange day today. Got DL scanned but the screen keeps saying "Validation in Process" for more than 30 seconds. Finally gave up and cancelled the transaction. Anyone experience same thing today?
Occasionally happens. It's a network communication issue to the database that stores the DL info.
Old Oct 15, 13, 7:17 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Originally Posted by balima
Just have to say I love the St. Louis area. Found a CVS in the area packed with VRs. Walmart in St. Louis area uncrowded and easy to load BB. No questions asked. No lines. Swipe, approve, swipe again and done. Although Kiosk Kate there was just as sick as at home.
Why not just load it from home? What is the value for doing it at Walmart?
Old Oct 15, 13, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by freakflyer
Why not just load it from home? What is the value for doing it at Walmart?
Had some GC that needed loading and often treated like a criminal in Chicago when trying to load at Customer Service. I loaded my CVS via phone in St. Louis, but then loaded my leftover 4 GCs with no problem, no questions, in and out in under 5 minutes. Wish I could do that at home.
Old Oct 15, 13, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
Occasionally happens. It's a network communication issue to the database that stores the DL info.
Thank you. This is the first time I got this network issue at my local CVS. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
Old Oct 15, 13, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NathanL104
I'm trying to do 3,000 spend on my girlfriend's card (on which I'm authorized user with my own card). I usually only do $500 in VR at CVS but today I had to do 1,000 because the deadline is coming up. The ID was scanned at the register and then the clerk had to call Chase to have it verified.

I cancelled the purchase, but now I can't use the card at all anywhere. Anybody have any idea?

Weirdest thing too, when CVS cancelled the purchase it put a 1,000 dollar credit on my account. There was never any CVS purchase that went through, but there is a -1,000 CVS credit on the statement as a pending charge. I assume this will go away, but I've never seen anything like it. In fact, my pending charges balance is -$1,000.

Did this happen because the card isn't mine, I'm only an authorized user? I would assume my girlfriend's name is on the account, so when my ID was swiped something got alerted.

I need to make my Minimum spend by the 18th so any tips on what to do??
Now what happened to you has been talked about in this thread, yes, it is a long thread, but if you are going to play the game understand the rules.

It seems lately that the first charge will go through at CVS, but the second, seventh and twelfth scans of my CC will set off fraud alert. I always have my phone ready to call, one the data pad you will see the colored screen have a small black screen pop up and looks like DOS code text. I call in, I get the automated system and take care of it. I scan away, and do it all over again.

I only do $500 transaction at a time so I can get away with more then 5K/day. Today was a 6K day, I have 2 more days then I'm done for the month.
Old Oct 16, 13, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by @ORD
I am heading to Albany for business. Will report back the bean situation over there. Of course if someone could share info, that is more than welcome!

Cheers
@ORD

Beans are available in Albany. Out of 4 CVS I have been, 3 had them in plentyful supply. But using CC outside my "usual" area (zip code and surrounding) set off fraud alarm so often it became annoying, even for $500 purchase.

Well, no pain no gain
Old Oct 16, 13, 10:38 am

Given the flak* I have encountered from managers at my local CVS in buying VRs, I have concluded that card sales don't get counted in their store sales performance metrics. Otherwise, you'd think they'd be more cooperative.

* Flak as in making up their own rules, above and beyond corporate policy.
Old Oct 16, 13, 10:50 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by balima
I hope YOU are not the person that has been hiding the VR's at my local CVS. When they were rearranging their card display, they found almost 200 of those babies hidden. No wonder they never reordered. The system still thought they had a bunch even though there was nothing in the usual place.
Old Oct 16, 13, 11:23 am

Went to cvs, bought two with one card. The other two with separate card purchase was declined by the store manager. He said the rule is limit 1 transaction in 24 hours. I told the the rule is 5k a day but he says yes and it is also one transaction only in 24 hrs. Is he right?
Old Oct 16, 13, 11:29 am

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Went to cvs, bought two with one card. The other two with separate card purchase was declined by the store manager. He said the rule is limit 1 transaction in 24 hours. I told the the rule is 5k a day but he says yes and it is also one transaction only in 24 hrs. Is he right?
He's right only because he's the manager of that particular CVS.

I went to a CVS yesterday where the register refused to do more than one card at a time. The cashier did several transactions before tripping my card's fraud detector, so clearly more than one transaction is technically possible. I later went to a different CVS and had no issue doing a bunch at once.
Old Oct 16, 13, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by cuebert
He's right only because he's the manager of that particular CVS.

I went to a CVS yesterday where the register refused to do more than one card at a time. The cashier did several transactions before tripping my card's fraud detector, so clearly more than one transaction is technically possible. I later went to a different CVS and had no issue doing a bunch at once.
I.wanted to.know.if it is a corporate policy regarding only one transaction in 24 hrs
Old Oct 16, 13, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Similar thing happened to me recently. Wanted to make two separate purchases, with two different cards. Manager was up front, wouldn't let cashier ring up second purchase, citing one transaction per day "rule." Told her I was aware of $5k per day limit, happy to supply DL, etc., to no avail. She got pretty p.o.'ed when I said I would come back after her shift was over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.