Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Not quite... This is for the MVD... not VRs.
Check page 6 of this week's flyer.
I just looked at page 6 of my local CVS flyer and I still don't see it.

That said, I went back to my local store, bought a VR card, and the $3 coupon didn't print. The manager looked at the rack, saw the sale sign next to the VRs, and printed me a $3 coupon.

I'm guessing the most likely reason the coupon didn't print is that you are correct and the store put the "sale" sign up in the wrong place. As we all know, these sound-alike Vanilla products are confusing. If I go back into my store again this week, I'll look more carefully at the sign. In any event, the sign did say it was limited to 1 rebate per household.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:53 am

The weekly ads differ regionally (online it says specific to a store, which is probably too granular)

On line, the coupon is on page 5 for me, indeed the Vanilla Visa, one per household. Good price!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: SQ
I'm about to go on a CVS run - will report back in an hour or two
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I just looked at page 6 of my local CVS flyer and I still don't see it.

That said, I went back to my local store, bought a VR card, and the $3 coupon didn't print. The manager looked at the rack, saw the sale sign next to the VRs, and printed me a $3 coupon.

I'm guessing the most likely reason the coupon didn't print is that you are correct and the store put the "sale" sign up in the wrong place. As we all know, these sound-alike Vanilla products are confusing. If I go back into my store again this week, I'll look more carefully at the sign. In any event, the sign did say it was limited to 1 rebate per household.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, Kybosh. Obviously, the staff at my CVS was understandably confused as to which Vanilla card was "on sale," and put the sale sticker in the wrong place (they actually attached it to the hook that the VR cards were hanging on).

As I said, the manager happily printed me out a $3 Extra Bucks coupon when I complained after my VR purchase didn't automatically trigger one. Now that I know I'm not entitled to it, though, I won't ask for another one (it's supposed to be limit 1 anyway). I guess I could go back to the store and tell the manager he should move the sale sign, but I'm not sure I want to engage in an additional VR discussion with him -- the less said the better, I think.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:07 pm

No sticker or anything at 3 local CVS's. Still filled with hundreds of VRs though
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
No sticker or anything at 3 local CVS's. Still filled with hundreds of VRs though
Great!
I'm on my way.
Was that store in Tianjin or Guangzhou? It'd better be one of those cuz
I'm sure as heck not going to Shantou.
.... the traffic there is murder.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
No new VRs at CVS until the revised security strip fills pipeline

Talking with a west coast CVS mgr., I was told that a memo went out advising
store managers that all new VRs will appear at CVS stores with the updated security features, and that that is the reason for them being out of stock.The memo went out around July 4th. No dates were given on when to expect stock.

Incomm.
Our motto: We'll do it when we get around to it.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
store managers that all new VRs will appear at CVS stores with the updated security features, and that that is the reason for them being out of stock.The memo went out around July 4th. No dates were given on when to expect stock.

Incomm.
Good to know, they seem to have gotten scarce in my area of SoCal. Hope that's the truth and they return in the previous easy-to-find numbers.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
One of my go-to CVS's just started imposing the $1k limit. The cashier offered to give me one bean for $500 and the other for $490 to stay under the limit, and she verbally confirmed this with the manager on duty. Kind of annoying, but at least they still accept CC.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
There is an official memo on CVS letterhead which my local CVS cashier referred to - unfortunately hidden behind a shift clipboard so I couldn't take a picture of it, but if I ever see it uncovered I'll take a look and/or a picture.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by bribro
One of my go-to CVS's just started imposing the $1k limit. The cashier offered to give me one bean for $500 and the other for $490 to stay under the limit, and she verbally confirmed this with the manager on duty. Kind of annoying, but at least they still accept CC.
I always have been asking if there's a limit and they never know. Seems like it varies from store to store. Of course you could always come back later that day and do it again
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:17 am

Incomm.
What are the updated security features that you speak of? And this makes sense as to why I haven't seen VRs in stores lately
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT

Incomm.
Yep, I haven't seen new inventories in my area since about a week ago.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by terpfan101
What are the updated security features that you speak of? And this makes sense as to why I haven't seen VRs in stores lately
I have no idea, but I noticed that the 7/11s that carry beans are slightly different than the CVS ones - the scratch off part that hides the PIN number is different and arguably "safer" on the 7/11 types because it's not just an adhesive scratch-off strip, it's more like a lotto scratcher. So maybe CVS is upgrading to this type?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.