Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:51 am

Has anyone tried to reload money onto an used VR? The clerk at my store suggested I try, but I didn't.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:37 am
jk2

I noticed a sign at CVS (at both checkout and gift card section) that prepaid debit cards are not cash/debit only. Does it mean that you cannot buy Visa GCs with credit card anymore at CVS?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jk2
I noticed a sign at CVS (at both checkout and gift card section) that prepaid debit cards are not cash/debit only. Does it mean that you cannot buy Visa GCs with credit card anymore at CVS?
???
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
noT = noW???
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:35 am

Seems that store has implemented a new policy.
It is NOT a company wide however.
You can go to another store, start buying your GCs at grocery stores or you can push back.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Seems that store has implemented a new policy.
It is NOT a company wide however.
You can go to another store, start buying your GCs at grocery stores or you can push back.
Yesterday went to one store got $500 no problem. Today I tried 4 other stores and all said cash only. Went back to the same store yesterday and was fine. Hopefully that store doesn't change on me.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Which Citi CC is it? Oddly Citi is the only I bank I do not get the occasional fraud alert from. Also, how much are you purchasing in each transaction? I used to get alerts at $1k from other banks, but these seem to have stopped (maybe they got used to it). Maybe try smaller transactions? Or try a couple of non-VR purchases at CVS?

I find Citi really slow at a lot of stuff, so I can understand the waiting-to-clear frustration.
It's the TYP w/ 5x points. But I don't think the type of card is important. What I do is usually 2 VRs per transaction -- I try to get in as many purchases as possible per day to maximize the points I'm getting. It happens usually after the 2nd $1007.90 purchase. I'm guessing it's usually because of the repeated large transaction amounts. But the most frustrating thing is that often they don't call me right away. And then if I call them, the reps on the phone can't tell why my transaction is being declined -- they talk to the security dept and my card looks like it's good to go, but in reality, it still gets declined. Very frustrating. I end up only being able to buy about $2-4k per day.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by ramalama8
It's the TYP w/ 5x points. But I don't think the type of card is important. What I do is usually 2 VRs per transaction -- I try to get in as many purchases as possible per day to maximize the points I'm getting. It happens usually after the 2nd $1007.90 purchase. I'm guessing it's usually because of the repeated large transaction amounts. But the most frustrating thing is that often they don't call me right away. And then if I call them, the reps on the phone can't tell why my transaction is being declined -- they talk to the security dept and my card looks like it's good to go, but in reality, it still gets declined. Very frustrating. I end up only being able to buy about $2-4k per day.
Were you doing this much prior to the May shutdowns? If so, did you ever request a mortgage/student loan check?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:11 am

The 2nd(large) transaction of the day always a fraud alert.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
The CVS stores that I go to always have a sign about prepaid debit cards being cash only. They are referring to the Amex prepaids and cards like that. GCs and reloads have been fine.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
One way around a store's $1000 limit is to buy $1000 of different types of reloads with sep. transactions. Did it the other day w/o a problem.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by lovenola
One way around a store's $1000 limit is to buy $1000 of different types of reloads with sep. transactions. Did it the other day w/o a problem.
That REALLY depends. My home store will only sell me 1k a day total. Some of my other stores will split up transactions and allow as many as i want though i never push more than 2k a visit. No need to posion the well as i can easily come back later in the day or the next.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:32 pm

You can check out at the pharmacy at the back of the store. What you happen to remember to purchase on your way out the front of the store is up to you.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by Barry2013
Were you doing this much prior to the May shutdowns? If so, did you ever request a mortgage/student loan check?
I've only had the card for two months, so no

Originally Posted by prasha11
The 2nd(large) transaction of the day always a fraud alert.
Yep, that's what I've found as well. However, I got around that today. Last night, I did two things: (1) set a travel notification for myself (I'm a consultant, so I'm out of town and much of my buying is away from home) and (2) called up Citi and set up a large transaction notification.

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
You can check out at the pharmacy at the back of the store. What you happen to remember to purchase on your way out the front of the store is up to you.
I usually do this. I got called on it yesterday, though. The store manager came up to the front and told the cashier not to ring me up as I had just been at the pharmacy. It was too late -- the transaction had already been completed. Nanny-nanny-boo-boo. I feigned ignorance and told him I thought it was $1000 per register, not per store.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
I usually do this. I got called on it yesterday, though. The store manager came up to the front and told the cashier not to ring me up as I had just been at the pharmacy. It was too late -- the transaction had already been completed. Nanny-nanny-boo-boo. I feigned ignorance and told him I thought it was $1000 per register, not per store.
OH...you thought i was suggesting buying VRs at both registers? That would be intentional circumvention of a store rule. i was more thinking about picking up a pack of gum on the way out. I'm a rules follower.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.