Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by prasha11
CVS is the trouble maker / uncertainties. If I walk in CVS no guarantees that I walk out with VR or frustration!, so I walk in only if I have some other business in there, VR is secondary.
VR is expensive ($7.90/1000?) compared to Chase gift card or Google wallet is free (with limits)
Yes, but GW yields few bonuses.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Yes, but GW yields few bonuses.
Not the gw im using!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 9:54 am

Today I bought a $50 Amazon Gift Card at CVS, one that is just $50, not variable load. (This actually was a gift, not a botched attempt at manufactured spend!)

To my surprise, the process was very similar to that when buying VR, the cashier asked for my card again and had to enter the last four numbers into some record. So I guess, at least at this store, this is a general "prepaid" card policy.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
My normal location for buying beans near my job has caught on to me. The lady said she recognized me. She also went to a sheet posted near the register to check something. She mentioned something about a limit. She said it was a CVS policy. That's the first time I've actually heard about it. I never buy more than 1k anyway. I always felt like it would draw too much attention to me.

Both locations recognize me now, but I haven't had any issues. They ask for my id and the card, and that's it.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by silver6054
Today I bought a $50 Amazon Gift Card at CVS, one that is just $50, not variable load. (This actually was a gift, not a botched attempt at manufactured spend!)

To my surprise, the process was very similar to that when buying VR, the cashier asked for my card again and had to enter the last four numbers into some record. So I guess, at least at this store, this is a general "prepaid" card policy.
Did you expect differently?

Now buy 40 of those in a month, stack with coupons and other deals and sell some online and you are set!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
My normal location for buying beans near my job has caught on to me. The lady said she recognized me. She also went to a sheet posted near the register to check something. She mentioned something about a limit. She said it was a CVS policy. That's the first time I've actually heard about it. I never buy more than 1k anyway. I always felt like it would draw too much attention to me.

Both locations recognize me now, but I haven't had any issues. They ask for my id and the card, and that's it.
That's a good thing. Chat them up. Become friends with them.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by thorax
That's a good thing. Chat them up. Become friends with them.
+1
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
+1
Yeah, I explained that I use the cards to load a product and pay bills and that it's fun to earn a couple of rewards points here and there. Of course, they didn't know that a couple meant thousands.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Went to my local store and they finally restocked thier supply after being out for 2 weeks. During that time I chatted with a couple of different Mgr's and mentioned that they seem to run out on a fairly regular basis. He said he would check into upping their order amount. Boy did he. Probably 10x as many cards there as I have ever seen! Very nice to see so many.

And then I went to buy a couple of cards and the cashier happens to mention as I get ready to pay for them "Credit or Debit cards ONLY" No cash. Just the opposite policy as another store near me. Go figure.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by pkerr
And then I went to buy a couple of cards and the cashier happens to mention as I get ready to pay for them "Credit or Debit cards ONLY" No cash. Just the opposite policy as another store near me. Go figure.
Oh gosh, if I HAVE to, I guess I'll use a credit card.

That is really bizarre. Is that store in an affluent, average, or depressed area?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ChurnCzar

That is really bizarre. Is that store in an affluent, average, or depressed area?
I bet folks are using illegally obtained cash there.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ChurnCzar

Average / middle class
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:54 am

Is there anyone on this thread that purchases VRs at any other pharmacy besides this one?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Is there anyone on this thread that purchases VRs at any other pharmacy besides this one?
What other Pharmacy sells them? Walgreens but no C.C.'s there.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by pkerr
What other Pharmacy sells them? Walgreens but no C.C.'s there.
There is a chain down here in the southeast, Mr. _____ Flintstone...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.