Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2013, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by arsenalman
Nope - read what i just said - it has changed the "2ND" time.
Should actually be the third time it has changed.

Originally Posted by vagrants
Nice, then all the MC PrePaid with rePower should be able to load. It's like that netSpend thing....you can use VRs to load PP PrePaid, etc., etc. I guess 3rd generation VRs now out.
Let's hope not, Netspend shuts you down if you even sneeze the wrong way.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Let's hope not, Netspend shuts you down if you even sneeze the wrong way.
Are you talking about Netspend PrePaid Card? I don't have one...is it that bad?

I was talking about use of netSpend reload network, not the actual use of the NetSpend PrePaid...but I guess netSpend can monitor reloads like GreenDot does for their MoneyPak...I loaded PayPal PrePaid with some VRs and sock drawered it. Just collecting interests on its savings account.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by vagrants
Are you talking about Netspend PrePaid Card? I don't have one...is it that bad?

I was talking about use of netSpend reload network, not the actual use of the NetSpend PrePaid...but I guess netSpend can monitor reloads like GreenDot does for their MoneyPak...I loaded PayPal PrePaid with some VRs and sock drawered it. Just collecting interests on its savings account.
Yes Netspend PP. Thread has basically died as almost all posters in it have been shut down .
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
FT-ers in the city of Wane and Garth.

I was making a visit to city of Wayne and Garth yesterday and I stopped by my favorite CVS for VRs there. They were out! They've never been out of stock before and I could pretty regularly count on them. So there must be a few other FT-ers around this area. They said they'd be getting more in on Tuesday. It's going to be tough meeting my Discover $3000/month for 6 months without VRs if the shortages continue.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:01 pm

Spent a good part of the day looking for VRs around DC. All of the CVS and 7/11 stores I visited were out, even the few that almost always had them. Not a development I'm happy about....
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yes Netspend PP. Thread has basically died as almost all posters in it have been shut down .
That says A LOT! Thank you!!!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:33 am

My usual CVS spot has been out for a few weeks. The last time I tried to buy 2, one rang up fine and the other rang up as "product not for sale, please remove from sales floor". Sounded ominous.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:08 am

I haven't seen them in weeks
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'm still out around here in the Middle TN area. It seems that Boston is out too. I'm not sure who else is experiencing an outage.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Does anyone use their Citi Thank You Preferred card when buying the VRs?

Every single time when I swipe my card at the self swipe touch pad, it gives me a message saying "Another form of payment required". Then when I ask the cashier to try to swipe my card on their register, it works fine.
I use the TYP (5x) for nearly all my VR purchases, and maybe 1 time out of 20 I get this. A reswipe fixes it.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I'm still out around here in the Middle TN area. It seems that Boston is out too. I'm not sure who else is experiencing an outage.
One of my Boston stores just got a big shipment, so I think it was a temporary thing.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:19 am
Suspended

Maybe CVS doesn't make a profit on these, so they don't try to replenish them quickly?

I mean, they're basically cash, so the markup might be low. So they see them as a "loss leader" then discover people are coming in buying nothing but VR, so they don't sweat if they run out.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:12 am

Just found a store near DC with a lot of the new cards. Maybe stores are just waiting for stock of the new cards to come in.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by greggarious
Maybe CVS doesn't make a profit on these, so they don't try to replenish them quickly?

I mean, they're basically cash, so the markup might be low. So they see them as a "loss leader" then discover people are coming in buying nothing but VR, so they don't sweat if they run out.
Prior to going to CVS for VR's, I never even went into a CVS. They have made money off of me that they never would have without the lure of VR's. Mistake, big mistake to take VR's off the shelves. I'm sure others have spent money there that might have gone to Walgreens, Target or Wally World.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by balima
Prior to going to CVS for VR's, I never even went into a CVS. They have made money off of me that they never would have without the lure of VR's. Mistake, big mistake to take VR's off the shelves. I'm sure others have spent money there that might have gone to Walgreens, Target or Wally World.
I have to agree. I never went to CVS before I got into this game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.