Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Ted King
$1K rule enforced. Drivers license actually photocopied. Clerk said there have been complaints of illegal money laundering. Wish I were making the kind of money I'd need to launder. Clerk looked at me like I was a drug dealer for asking to buy another $1000.
What is this IRS reporting rule over $500-1000? did CVS just make it up?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:04 am

It seems like it really depends on the cashier(s). I go to the same CVS and during the day, they only let me do $1K and even refuse to sell milk on the side with two VRs. When I go to the same CVS late evening, the cashiers know me by name and they let me buy any amount of VRs I need and just do separate transactions. I've even managed to buy 6VRs along with other grocery stuff in 3 transactions without them raising an eye...
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:32 am

One of my cashier mentioned she is only allowed 1K giftcards a day and she already sold a $500 card to one my FT fellows so she can only do 1 for me but then I asked if I could move to the next cashier and she said np so I got my 2 X 500 for this month. Must be a new rule for my store :-)
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by yoyo
One of my cashier mentioned she is only allowed $1K giftcards a day and she already sold a $500 card to one my FT fellows so she can only do 1 for me but then I asked if I could move to the next cashier and she said np so I got my 2 X 500 for this month. Must be a new rule for my store :-)
Cashier almost assuredly misinterpreted the policy. Go back when a different is working and see what happens.

In one store I go to, a lone cashier is adamant that it is cash only. But every other cashier happily sells them with a CC. The odd thing is she was backed up by her manager - the very same manager who lets other cashiers sell me VRs with CCs. I found the reverse in another store - all cashiers (but one) say cash only. As saying goes YMMV.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:15 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
holy smokes!!!

there were at least 15+ VRs on the middle rack, about eye-level

really? really? :drooool:

some guy in a white button up (prob manager) rung me up, he didnt even think of asking for ID.. bet hes a FTer
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
bet hes a FTer
Not a chance. An FTer would have either A. Not let them reach the shelves or B. Told you they were cash only and kept them for himself .
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:31 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
good point. in the back i bet hes got stacks on stacks on stacks
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:45 pm

So did my CVS visits. I have plenty of stores and inventory of VRs where I work and live. My policy has been to simply buy one VR per billing cycle for different cards

Not able to buy two VR's when using AE Hilton for both wife and myself at different times. Called AE and they stated it was unusual activity in the accounts. Then went ahead and bought the second VR's after checking in with AE via the automated process.

Could not load then via vanillareload.com. Called VR number on the card and both went thru automatically after punching in the numbers. So not really sure whether the system was down or what, but was the first time for me not being to load and then punching out the info on the telephone, then checking Bluebird and verifying amounts had been recorded.

Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
My CVS that had rows and rows of VR for months for my personal consumption has gone suddenly dry in one day. Looked around to see if someone in my small town had heard of the game and "hided" them but no luck. So my game has now changed either because I am no longer the only player in town or that store's management has had enough of me.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bender464
Thank you for your opinion, NOOB. I am sorry that my opinion given to someone else has rubbed you the wrong way.

Hopefully, cvasara has already received their permanent BB card by now or soon will, making your fear-mongering (and 120 more days of FT membership advice) completely unnecessary. BTW, BB is NOT the only place to unload VR's.

Until then, I guess I will just give the play-it-safe advice to wait until their permanent BB is in hand! Better??
This sort of vitriolic diatribe has no place in this forum.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UAmileage+,SkyMiles,Avios
i went to a CVS in LA yesterday, first time I encountered a manager that had nothing better to do than follow me on camera, the long line at front that make me go to pharmacy to pay VR, i bought 2x and the cashier don't know if i can pay by CC, called manager and manger look at my UA Visa and ask me if it's a debit card, i said no. and the manager insist it's $1k limit, ok, then i brought 2 card back to shelf, and the manager follow me for a while, then back to office and watch the camera to follow me, i give card to friend, to check out, and the manager call cashier at front before I give her CC, and the manager show up in 5sec. I can't believe the manager has nothing else to do beside follow a customer, and my friend couldn't buy it because manager follow me and I gave the card to her to buy it with her CC. and I can't believe a CVS store manager in Los Angeles can't even tell my UA Visa is credit or debit card. Of course don't want to argue with him, that's not my regular CVS store anyway.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by all168
i went to a CVS in LA yesterday, first time I encountered a manager that had nothing better to do than follow me on camera, the long line at front that make me go to pharmacy to pay VR, i bought 2x and the cashier don't know if i can pay by CC, called manager and manger look at my UA Visa and ask me if it's a debit card, i said no. and the manager insist it's $1k limit, ok, then i brought 2 card back to shelf, and the manager follow me for a while, then back to office and watch the camera to follow me, i give card to friend, to check out, and the manager call cashier at front before I give her CC, and the manager show up in 5sec. I can't believe the manager has nothing else to do beside follow a customer, and my friend couldn't buy it because manager follow me and I gave the card to her to buy it with her CC. and I can't believe a CVS store manager in Los Angeles can't even tell my UA Visa is credit or debit card. Of course don't want to argue with him, that's not my regular CVS store anyway.
Sounds like what you were doing was pretty shady. Why would YOU take the cards back to "restock"? Obviously, the manager thought that was as odd as I do. And when your "friend" tries to buy the very same VRs you were just told couldn't be bought, with your CC, you were lucky that he didn't make a much bigger fuss. If he wanted to F with you, he could have called Chase to let them know you were trying to get an unauthorized user to use the card. I'm sure the violates the T&Cs and is justification for closing your accounts - and is probably CC fraud.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UAmileage+,SkyMiles,Avios
sorry for misunderstanding. I was going to bring the card back to the GC hanger, but instead, I gave it to my friend, and she wants to go to check out and pay for the VR by her CC. But the manager called and came say refuse to sell it to her because he said we are a family, and only $1k per family. No way i can argue with him because store has right to refuse to sell anything.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
At my local CVS, a new cashier wanted manager to confirm buying with Amex Gift Card was allowed. He said its not allowed and limit is 1k/day. I tried with same GC and hit credit button on payment screen. I was able to buy 4 VC's in 2 separate transactions.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:10 pm

My local CVS just stopped taking CC for beans. Cashier said some people were sneaking around and doing $2k+ and 'got the store in trouble'.

stop being so greedy or you're gonna kill it faster than needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.