Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
I'm not being unwelcoming, but I am saying that no one else is confirming it. If one could not buy GC/VR at CVS today and it was cash only or only a few stores had this policy already in place, there would be dozens of other reports. Every 10 pages or so on any of these threads, it's become the norm for someone to state it's over.

Ditto. I bought 2 VR tonight with Hilton Amex and had no issues. Compare the crickets chirping here to the mass panic that set in once word started spreading in early February that OD was going to stop selling $500 variable load GCs. I won't start worrying until something similar happens with respect to CVS.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
It is possible that the OP may have heard that..
But didnt see any problems with my purchases today.. picked $4K in VRs today..
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by boohoo1313
Point taken sir
BTW, welcome to FT!

In the thread on mint coins, we had a newbie come in and claim that it was coming to an end. Whether he was right or it was simply coincidence, the mint did come to an end shortly thereafter, so I've learned never to discount newbies, especially because a newbie here probably has a lot of experience somewhere else.

Interestingly, after the mint, we never heard from him again. Bottom line, feel free to hang around for a while.

Mike
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, Marriott
Originally Posted by mikeef
BTW, welcome to FT!

In the thread on mint coins, we had a newbie come in and claim that it was coming to an end. Whether he was right or it was simply coincidence, the mint did come to an end shortly thereafter, so I've learned never to discount newbies, especially because a newbie here probably has a lot of experience somewhere else.

Interestingly, after the mint, we never heard from him again. Bottom line, feel free to hang around for a while.

Mike
Sure, I agree newbie here might have experience somewhere else, welcomed or not, I am hanging and hunting for the beans
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:51 am

Location: WashDC - AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Cal Tort Burrito Elito
Originally Posted by hawkandhoo
Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
I'm not being unwelcoming, but I am saying that no one else is confirming it. If one could not buy GC/VR at CVS today and it was cash only or only a few stores had this policy already in place, there would be dozens of other reports. Every 10 pages or so on any of these threads, it's become the norm for someone to state it's over.

Ditto. I bought 2 VR tonight with Hilton Amex and had no issues. Compare the crickets chirping here to the mass panic that set in once word started spreading in early February that OD was going to stop selling $500 variable load GCs. I won't start worrying until something similar happens with respect to CVS.
No problem yesterday or today at two different locations that i frequent. Having said that there was some sort of a memo taped by one of the registers (for the cashier notthecustomer) that talked about cash for at least certain kinds of cards. I couldn't quite read it all but as there was no issue with my txn I took it to be referring to cards that were always cash only like greendot just with very specific instructions
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:58 am

No problems this morning buying four VRs at two different locations.

I told the cashier that apparently there was a memo from Corporate and she should have the store manager call to confirm. She said she would pass along the information.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bean
I told the cashier that apparently there was a memo from Corporate and she should have the store manager call to confirm. She said she would pass along the information.
Why?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:08 am

Guess I better go to CVS and purchase more VRS today. A couple of weeks ago, OP wrote that the CVS in San Diego decided to go "cash only"....panic mode for me as I am in CA so I purchased the last $1500 to meet min spending for AOR in March.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: DL GM, HHonors Diamond, UA Silver, A3 Gold

If it wasn't broken, why did you try to "fix" it?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Why?
Originally Posted by hellodali
If it wasn't broken, why did you try to "fix" it?
Methinks you missed a little here. I doubt a 13-year member actually mentioned that.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator reminder

Please remember this FlyerTalk rule:

challenge the opinion or idea - not the person.
Challenging a poster's credibility because he or she is new is inconsistent with this rule. It's fine to test a statement by asking for more information as Bean did, but discussing how long a person has been a member is inappropriate.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:35 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
One more data point - Hilton Amex @ CVS last evening for 2 VRs $500 each, no issues at all. The sky seems to be holding up.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:35 am

Google is your friend....

Was Bean kidding?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Purchased at 2 different locations in VA this AM. No problems, other than the clerks were annoyingly chatty.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I went to CVS last night, no signage. I realized that I didn't have the credit card I wanted to use, so I didn't purchase anything. I'm going tonight to make a purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.