Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
How do you press the issue when you've gotten the "cash only" line? I've pulled out all of the stops I'm willing to pull in that situation with "I've not had an issue before." or "I don't feel comfortable carrying that level of cash on me." or "Oh, it worked the other day?"

I pick my battles, and arguing with the cashier (or the manager) about cash only policies on VRs isn't worth it. It's one of the reasons I stopped doing manufactured spending earlier this year until I moved to a new city. The local CVS that had plenty of VRs went "cash only" shortly after everyone had migrated from OD then Walgreens. Unfortunately, there were no other locations in the immediate (or distant) area that had VRs in stock.

I now live in an area flush with everyone's favorite drugstore, and I've only gotten the "CASH ONLY!" line from one cashier and one of the stores. I usually try to go after work in the late afternoon when it is still light outside and scout out for a cashier who seems friendly. I will also stop by the coupon kiosk and pick up a few odds and ends if needed. With the margins on some of their items, I'm sure they're still making a profit on me even when I do 2x VR.
In my younger churner days (beginning of the year) I was militant. I expected everyone to follow the words of the law (that were in my favor) and skirt around the ones that were a nuisance. I was pretty aggressive and took it personally when someone told me a bold lie to my face. I actually confronted a girl about that and she didn't know what to say.

Then I started noticing ppl that would tell me cash only the night before would totally change the very next day and follow the rules.

I can't even begin to theorize what goes on in these people's minds when they do this? Maybe they get daily GC terror alert warnings. Red days are cash only. Elevated to Severe are cash only days. Guarded are whatever days. We all know the terror levels never make it down to Low.

These days, I have been around so much that they recognize me and I peacefully insist that the transaction be done with credit. And I usually get my way. Its now important to be more of a Statesman than a Soldier. They last longer, they are diligent and they work at getting people to change their policies. Im not for the 'tuck tail and run to the next store' idea a lot of ppl subscribe to. But that's just me. Of course most of the employees and managers have personally done my transactions several times by now so that helps. Also, knowing the rules and memo is immensely helpful. When you finish their sentences for them as they are telling you the rules of GC/DC purchases its a good thing. And when I mean finish their sentences I mean finish it with the actual rules and procedures. Not the ones they are formulating in their heads as they are talking with you.

I also think its a power thing. You coming in spending money like nobody's business. They feel its their duty as CSI [insert town/city here] wannabes to cock block you long enough for David Carrasco to come secure the crime scene.

But shout out to all the really good employees at CVS. The ones who don't interfere in your business or make you feel like you are providing comfort and support to the enemy. They come in, stock their shelves, help the little old ladies find the Bengay, load up the VRs and are outta there. If I wasn't so cheap I would buy them a GC!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KYBOSH

The employees do not want to do anything that would jeopardize their jobs so the first thing they do when they hear you want to do a transaction outside the median daily CVS purchase of $13.55 is lie or call the manager to the front. Im starting to think that you have to be a special kind of person to be in management in retail. I won't say anymore than that but you guys all have had run ins with some of these types....

I do know that employees have been written up for doing multiple 1k trxns for customers back when it was supposed to be 1k a day. That REALLY sucks as these are super cool folks. I think they were made examples out of because (quite frankly) they didn't need CVS.

I also don't think making a stink will poison the well either. I've made a stink and some immature store managers pulled the cards out of spike for a week or so but they are right back on the shelves soon enough. And more importantly they know not to pull that mess... at least with me. Now I can't go around reporting every ill informed, lying and playa hating associate I run into because that'll be a fulltime job with plenty of overtime. But calling ppl out on their BS is pretty fun for me.

On a serious note, I can concede that there maybe some level of fraud associated with these reloads and GCs. But I am 99% sure that these stores where we are having problems have not experienced fraud first hand. They just heard about a store somewhere that got hit or how cards are being tampered with in Atlanta and start acting irrational.
On the first note, I believe this is the #1 issue they do not want to lose their jobs..

Second note, I just walk away, I'll just come back later when that clerk is not working, it's not worth it for me. Why lower myself to their games. They have the power, they can make the rules if they want. If you push too hard then they wont sell them to you. After today, being told by a clerk that they are only cash, what was funny was, it was at a CVS in which I was in the night before, and the clerk who helped me was there, she even told the other clerk that "we" can sell them with CCs. But basically he didn't want to do it, so WE both know he lied about. I thanked her for her help and left. If it makes the jerk who is making $7/hr feel better so be it.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

In my younger churner days (beginning of the year) I was militant. I expected everyone to follow the words of the law (that were in my favor) and skirt around the ones that were a nuisance. I was pretty aggressive and took it personally when someone told me a bold lie to my face. I actually confronted a girl about that and she didn't know what to say.

These days, I have been around so much that they recognize me and I peacefully insist that the transaction be done with credit. And I usually get my way. Its now important to be more of a Statesman than a Soldier. They last longer, they are diligent and they work at getting people to change their policies. Im not for the 'tuck tail and run to the next store' idea a lot of ppl subscribe to. But that's just me. Of course most of the employees and managers have personally done my transactions several times by now so that helps. Also, knowing the rules and memo is immensely helpful. When you finish their sentences for them as they are telling you the rules of GC/DC purchases its a good thing. And when I mean finish their sentences I mean finish it with the actual rules and procedures. Not the ones they are formulating in their heads as they are talking with you.

I also think its a power thing. You coming in spending money like nobody's business. They feel its their duty as CSI [insert town/city here] wannabes to cock block you long enough for David Carrasco to come secure the crime scene.
It is a power thing, no doubt..

But you stated you are not a "tuck the tail type" but why do you think you need to disprove people? For me, it's not worth it to "stand my ground" and TELL them they are wrong and that the transaction will go through, because I have done it many times. Remember it's a power thing, and the poor clerk is making $7/hr and it's the only thing they have control over. For me, I thank them, and walk out. I have come back to the same store and bought VRs without a problem. For me, there are bigger issues to "stand my ground" than for points/miles.

BTW, how old are you?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by ramalama8
You guys need to get over your paranoia around the ID scans. Sheesh.
+1mm
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
+1mm
I don't yet agree and am happy with going to multiple CVSs to get sub $1k for now until I feel things are ok. I don't like that Bancorp collects this data... (If they indeed do). As said, they crudely shut down MIO, MVD and Acct Now on so many people and then we had to pull teeth to get anywhere with them. Now they seemingly collect massive ammts of data on every purchaser of multiple VR (Incomm/Bancorp own that product, as they do the Visa GCs you get in the store) and while buying some single use products like GCs and VRs are a bit more "safe" than a prepaid card, the fact remains bancorp sees it all now.

I like that when you buy these products WITHOUT ID scan you are effectively ANONYMOUS! To me that is a huge bonus worth waiting out for. If a month or so passes and I see no reports of bad things happening, maybe I will lax on this stance. But for now it aint hurting me to go a bit slower on my buys. I still get my $15+k Vrs a month and pass by all those CVSs anyway. Plus a few of them have cute girls working in them so woo hoo!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
On the first note, I believe this is the #1 issue they do not want to lose their jobs..

Second note, I just walk away, I'll just come back later when that clerk is not working, it's not worth it for me. Why lower myself to their games. They have the power, they can make the rules if they want. If you push too hard then they wont sell them to you. After today, being told by a clerk that they are only cash, what was funny was, it was at a CVS in which I was in the night before, and the clerk who helped me was there, she even told the other clerk that "we" can sell them with CCs. But basically he didn't want to do it, so WE both know he lied about. I thanked her for her help and left. If it makes the jerk who is making $7/hr feel better so be it.
It is a power thing, no doubt..

But you stated you are not a "tuck the tail type" but why do you think you need to disprove people? For me, it's not worth it to "stand my ground" and TELL them they are wrong and that the transaction will go through, because I have done it many times. Remember it's a power thing, and the poor clerk is making $7/hr and it's the only thing they have control over. For me, I thank them, and walk out. I have come back to the same store and bought VRs without a problem. For me, there are bigger issues to "stand my ground" than for points/miles.

BTW, how old are you?

The problem is....if you leave ignorance unchecked it has a tendancy to spread and infect others. Investing a little bit of time and effort to enlighten them will often times ensure access to that store 24/7.

I remember when i found a store with a huge stack of reloads. I 'trained' the cashiers one after another. Even reminded the manager of the policy. Once the cashier saw the manager ring me up, it was only a matter of time until the entire staff was on board. When i would come in, there would almost always be someone who had rung me up previously (as staff often work in pairs). If the register was being manned by a cashier who never rang me up and was confused by the policy the other would comeup to the front and reassure them it was okay. Not only that, but selling these cards actaully motivates them to find out what the actual policy is. We all know about the new 5k limit but if a CVS never sell many GCs the memo about it will be glossed over bcos it really doesnt concern them right?

Now an employee who willfully neglects or disregard corporate policy IS a problem and they should be brought to managment's attention and corrected. Another way to tackle the problem is to request an informal meeting with the store's manager (the real one) and express your concerns. If everything goes according to plan the manager will them verify what the actual policy is, correct the problem employee and send out a memo to all staff regarding the correct policy. At the end of the day its a training issue. If the employees arent on the same page, lying to the customer or denying 'certain' customers equitable treatment it creates a bad customer experience and that comes back on them (the manager).

I'm a black male in my mid 30's by the way.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I don't yet agree and am happy with going to multiple CVSs to get sub $1k for now until I feel things are ok. I don't like that Bancorp collects this data... (If they indeed do). As said, they crudely shut down MIO, MVD and Acct Now on so many people and then we had to pull teeth to get anywhere with them. Now they seemingly collect massive ammts of data on every purchaser of multiple VR (Incomm/Bancorp own that product, as they do the Visa GCs you get in the store) and while buying some single use products like GCs and VRs are a bit more "safe" than a prepaid card, the fact remains bancorp sees it all now.

I like that when you buy these products WITHOUT ID scan you are effectively ANONYMOUS! To me that is a huge bonus worth waiting out for. If a month or so passes and I see no reports of bad things happening, maybe I will lax on this stance. But for now it aint hurting me to go a bit slower on my buys. I still get my $15+k Vrs a month and pass by all those CVSs anyway. Plus a few of them have cute girls working in them so woo hoo!
i think i akready said the assistant at my cvs is pretty ugly, and my time is too valuable to pass up on being able to do $15k a month in three trips. for your method its 30 and thats a lot of time
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I dont think this is a Bancorp led inititive. Primarily becuase, if it were, you would see ID scans at all places where their products are sold. But it begs the question...why would CVS invest considerable amount of time and resources to update their OS to collect this info to this extent?

Kroger also collects your DL number for GC purchases over a certain amount (in the hundreds i believe). But they manually type the number in and i can bet its mainly to combat fraud. CVS has taken the extraordinary step of rewriting their register's OS to scan DLs. And the fact that they are applying this policy to GC purchases over $1k means they arent concerned about (or dont wish to inconvienence) the passisve GC buyer.

Something about having your DL scanned just doesnt sit well with me. Unlike manually typing in your DL#, i presume the scan captures al of your information (DOB, address, etc). In the wrong hands this info is a real problem for people trying to combat indentity theft. What assurances do we have from CVS that the info is safe or isnt being sold or shared? Of course the alternative is not to buy GC inexcess of 1k but as someone mentioned earlier, corporate came ah calln when they tried to do just that!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:23 am

i think i akready said the assistant at my cvs is pretty ugly, and my time is too valuable to pass up on being able to do $15k a month in three trips. for your method its 30 and thats a lot of time
+1 mile
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem is....if you leave ignorance unchecked it has a tendancy to spread and infect others. Investing a little bit of time and effort to enlighten them will often times ensure access to that store 24/7.
I agree with this.

I have combated this issue in a very simple manner:

I keep a receipt from a previous sale of VRs (or whatever) and bring it out and say, hey look, this cvs sold them to me as CC just the other day! Works every time.

time is all relative too. As said these CVSs are on my way to everything and it is worth it for me. One CVS is next to two banks I use. the other where I get my hair cut, a third next to a supermarket I buy GCs at, and so on. The short stops, although up to 10 minutes long, are not deal killers.

now, yes, if it comes to pass that my thinking is too conservative on this matter and buying with ID scan poses no threat to my mile-ing, then I will adjust accordingly. After all as said before, I never minded stores collecting data on me--after all I think the scan method, if only used for store or government purposes, is probably better and more secure than the stupid book binder Walmart uses on some large MO purchases. What a mess that is, huh? I know many stores check ID--one grocery store I visit has to have you go to the service desk to let them records your ID and fill out a form for anything over $2k. It just feels funny in CVS... one day they are all concerned about fraud and yelling at people who dare try to buy more than $1k (I got reprimanded at a CVS last year for this in fact!) and now suddenly they can go to $5k?? Strange! Good in theory but real strange. Seems... too easy.

What assurances do we have from CVS that the info is safe or isnt being sold or shared? Of course the alternative is not to buy GC inexcess of 1k but as someone mentioned earlier, corporate came ah calln when they tried to do just that!
That's my point. I mean if supermarket X takes my data and enters into their system that's fine with me. But when CVS scans it... it just seems so darn easy for them to someday one day sell the data or give it to some entity that we didnt realize we signed up for, like bancorp. Again if it's the Govt combating fraud that's ok. I got nothing to hide (but of course, just because I WANT to stay anonymous on things also shouldnt suggest I do!) but where is this scanned massive database going really? Do we know yet? Can we call CVS and get a truthful answer? Why did they up the limit to $5k just for this? It is almost as if they are baiting us miles and points people because that's clearly all who ever would buy so many. Or am I high?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I just go to the same places to buy my beans. I'm hesistant to try out new stores, even though I do drive past one on my way to work every day. I might try it out one day.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: DL GM, HHonors Diamond, UA Silver, A3 Gold
I'm just amused that a poster named Marathon Man is giving his opinion on "Is it Safe?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzw1_2b-I7A
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I agree to a point, however, teaching a clerk at CVS HOW to do their job in which they could careless, (since they are waiting for a better job to come along,) isn't worth my time. It is for you, and that is wonderful. The two of three CVS by me I have no problems buying VRs, so it's not a problem. Now if all of the CVS by me would give me the BS line of "Cash only" and I know that is not true since I have bought them at other CVS, I might take the time to inform them or I might let the General Manager know what is going in his store.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hellodali
I'm just amused that a poster named Marathon Man is giving his opinion on "Is it Safe?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzw1_2b-I7A
CLASSIC!

yes in fact when it was on last week I recall thinking, I never go with what is JUST safe. hahaha
nice find!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:35 pm

I agree to a point, however, teaching a clerk at CVS HOW to do their job in which they could careless, (since they are waiting for a better job to come along,) isn't worth my time. It is for you, and that is wonderful. The two of three CVS by me I have no problems buying VRs, so it's not a problem. Now if all of the CVS by me would give me the BS line of "Cash only" and I know that is not true since I have bought them at other CVS, I might take the time to inform them or I might let the General Manager know what is going in his store.
Its to a point. Educate them on how to do their job where it concerns you. Whether they put the cookies in the feminine hygiene section is no concern to me. Today was a new spin on the Cash Only front. Walked in around lunch time hoping to get 2 reloads. Cashier, who has rung me up before, stated that they are doing cash only as of now. She called the MOD for backup when I pushed back and the MOD said that because something funny has been going on with these cards they are doing cash only for now. Said I can come speak to the real manager when he comes in. Apparently, if what she says is to be believed, something is going on over in the next county with these cards recently. She then said, unsolicited that if corporate customer service instructed them to sell them then they would. Of course, CVS CS is closed on the weekend. This applied to ALL GCs and not just the reloads.

This is the same store that, just last night, said it was 1k a day and they had to be rang up on separate receipts. Honestly I would not be bothered with these guys but its the only store in the immediate area that has reloads. Its tucked in the cut so you would never find it.

The MOD was sympathetic (or at least feigned sympathy) so I took it as she knew what the deal was with these cards. She says everything was all good until recently. Perhaps this means until a new face popped in and started buying up their reloads.

We've seen this before with Office Depot/Max. When something is happening that they don't understand their instinct is to switch to cash only mode until whatever's happening passes.

Debating on what I should do...
I REALLY want to go and meet with the manager and get a read for what is going on. Let them know that we/I am not a threat and establish a repore with them. But I don't know how a customer who has intimate knowledge with this particular policy will come across. I find the only way to get more info or even having a chance of changing their policy is to engage them. Its the tone and tenor of the confrontation I think that will make all the difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.